Dagger Ideas?

Ok guys! Don't judge, but with the talk on the forums recently about the possibility of a new dagger from our main man Jerry and his kicka$$ team, I let my mind wonder and after a couple too many beers and too much time, I came up with a rough (emphasis on "rough" lol) design of a dagger I though might be cool! Don't judge the crappy MS paint skills, I am not a professional lol! Let me know what you guys think!
P.S. this blade does bare some similarities to a blade I've always found attractive from another manufacture, but with a Busse Combat twist ;)

If anyone else has cool ideas share em! To beer and blades! cheers guys and gals!

Last edited:
Ideally i would wish for another release of BOSC ID, but im in for at least 1 of any kind of Dagger lol the so called TG dagger mentioned a while back would be awsome, or Basically a Mini Gladius (as long as its Proportionally Miniturized (for a lack of a better word)

The TG variation or the Gladius variation both sound like they would be pretty awesome!

I can see Jerry going for a kris type dagger, simple ancient design with so much edge to work with and shape, that's my uneducated guesstimate anyway.

Interesting drawing, but keep in mind that posting a picture of a design assures Jerry won't copy it.

Hopefully something slim and compact, similar to the previous dagger, or a Persian type of upswept blade.

Interesting drawing, but keep in mind that posting a picture of a design assures Jerry won't copy it.

I dunno, the BB13 turned out very similar to the rendering that was a fan creation in the thread.

Some years ago Jerry posted that he did not want people to post blade rendering ideas. IIRC, it was a question of establishling/protecting design intellectual property. And yet, in the intervening time, he has not chosen to shut down/close/delete any post with design ideas.

Ergo, it is not clear as to what is his current thinking on the concept of open source blade designs.

Ian, I admire your creativity and optimism! I am all but certain that we will be seeing a dagger design blade from Busse fairly soon considering all of the context clues here on the forum lately. As for your particular rendering, I have to agree with others and say that I MUCH prefer symmetry with a dagger. It is part of what makes a dagger so beautiful! I think the "easiest" thing for Jerry to do would be to take the TG straight handle and add a 7.5"L/1.5"W dagger blade with fuller. That would be damn awesome!!!

I can see Jerry going for a kris type dagger, simple ancient design with so much edge to work with and shape, that's my uneducated guesstimate anyway.

As much as a wavy kriss design would be awesome, I feel it would be prohibitively expensive from a manufacturing standpoint. Daggers have been extremely expensive items to begin with, when they have been available, and I would like to be able to afford one.

Last edited:
As much as a wavy kriss design would be awesome, I feel it would be prohibitively expensive from a manufacturing standpoint. Daggers have been extremely expensive items to begin with, when they have been available, and I would like to be able to afford one.

Oh well, maybe so but theres always the chance Jerry might read this as he's pouring his third and just go ahead and make one for me :D

Some years ago Jerry posted that he did not want people to post blade rendering ideas. IIRC, it was a question of establishling/protecting design intellectual property. And yet, in the intervening time, he has not chosen to shut down/close/delete any post with design ideas.

Ergo, it is not clear as to what is his current thinking on the concept of open source blade designs.

Hmmm, well, I was unaware of that so I hope I haven't broken any rules.

I always thought it was the symmetry of the blade profile that made a knife a dagger, but I guess I learn something new every day!

Hmmm, well, I was unaware of that so I hope I haven't broken any rules.

I always thought it was the symmetry of the blade profile that made a knife a dagger, but I guess I learn something new every day!

I understand it this way as well.

For example, a unsymmetical blade with a sharpened swedge would NOT be a dagger.

I understand it this way as well.

For example, a unsymmetical blade with a sharpened swedge would NOT be a dagger.
I can see how this is a definition.
For me so far it's just a knife designed primarily for stabbing. Edge, no edge symmetrical or not.
But thanks to you I'm checking now what it means. :-D

Either way what in your opinion are those double edged Indian/Persian curved blades, since they aren't really symmetrical.

Edit:
From Webster:
: a sharp pointed knife that is used as a weapon
:a short knife used for stabbing

Makes sense. Many rondell daggers have blades whose cross sections are irregular triangles.

Edit2:
How about the smatchet? Double edged and symmetrical bit is it a dagger?

Last edited:
Like a kriss, or kryss? It has offset symmetry, but is still symmetrical, after a fashion.

Well, in my opinion, a "dagger" is a.blade incorporating several features: symmetrical design, double edges, etc...

Like a kriss, or kryss? It has offset symmetry, but is still symmetrical, after a fashion.

Well, in my opinion, a "dagger" is a.blade incorporating several features: symmetrical design, double edges, etc...

Kriss would fall under your definition. I thought of the curve bladed daggers. Due to the curve one side would have less cutting edge than the other.

Then there are T sectioned knives which due to the thick spine are better at penetrating armor and quite bad at cutting. Still a dagger to me if I only go by what it was designed for. Maybe even more of a dagger than some thin and wobbly double edged symetric knife.

I'd like to see something like this Swiss dagger, circa 1570):

Swiss_Dagger.jpg

Or maybe something similar based on a Team Gemini.

Back