Damn bunch of enablers you all are

Between the two of you, you cost me some money! :D:D:cool: Some D2 steel on order from SKblades:
e1e3a7_9a3dfc8dfbc64b35921a5de378cdd3a9~mv2_d_2048_1536_s_2.webp
e1e3a7_3758f9597de840fe8f1f06b6ddcdc0d0~mv2.webp
:):D:D

Are you sure about that? :D

O.B.
On my end it was, I'm sure they had to take a hit to get my knife to me in 3 days and not charge me for it.
That is unless they shadily factor it into the price, but I wouldn't expect that from them.

On my end it was, I'm sure they had to take a hit to get my knife to me in 3 days and not charge me for it.
That is unless they shadily factor it into the price, but I wouldn't expect that from them.
you had "shopping" was free....we know ya meant shipping though.......

Finally had the chance to make a sheath for the 212, went rough out and heavily treated with Obenaufs LP afterwards.
Rough out takes this fiebings dye better and actually looks black up close instead of like dark black ink, also the rough out seems harder wearing.

The factory sheath was pretty low riding which I didn't like and it annoyed me enough that I decided to go pretty high riding with this sheath.
It doesn't dig in my side since I'm so skinny, and there's enough room to the belt loop that I can angle the sheath forwards or backwards to really get it out of the way.

As always my work isn't Makeal quality but it's functional and doesn't look too bad from a couple feet away.

Nice job, H&S. I like simple, so that sheath looks great to me. Curious, when you go rough out, do you use a finish to seal the dye, so it doesn't wear off on your clothes?

Nice job, H&S. I like simple, so that sheath looks great to me. Curious, when you go rough out, do you use a finish to seal the dye, so it doesn't wear off on your clothes?
Thanks, I like simplicity as well.
My main issue is edge finishing and getting a consistent row of stitching on both sides. I need some pricking irons with longer tines.
The dye absorbs pretty well, but I did give the whole thing a generous coating of some Obenaufs heavy duty LP.
That's what I use on my boots and really all my leather , it's got beeswax in it I believe.
I heated a first coat in with a hair dryer then vigorously rubbed the next in with my hands and a rag with no black coming off so I don't expect it to get on my cloths.

Last edited:
Finally had the chance to make a sheath for the 212, went rough out and heavily treated with Obenaufs LP afterwards.
Rough out takes this fiebings dye better and actually looks black up close instead of like dark black ink, also the rough out seems harder wearing.

The factory sheath was pretty low riding which I didn't like and it annoyed me enough that I decided to go pretty high riding with this sheath.
It doesn't dig in my side since I'm so skinny, and there's enough room to the belt loop that I can angle the sheath forwards or backwards to really get it out of the way.

As always my work isn't Makeal quality but it's functional and doesn't look too bad from a couple feet away.
Looks great. Nicely done

Looks great. Nicely done
Thank you sir.
My goal is never anything fancy, but if I could just get the same level of finish as a professional like you I'd be happy.

There's a few tools I need and from there it's all on me, I need to improve my consistency in holding the pricking iron plumb and cut my welts properly to reduce low spots.

A drill press, a good bit., some good gloves, long leather needle with some pliers. Drill flat and level into two glued halves. Works pretty good.

Doing it by hand is tedious. When I heard some people used a drill press for the holes. I wondered about putting the needle in the press and using it as a manual sewing machine after the holes were drilled. Switch to a needle feed one line from under and one from above on the needle.

Doing it by hand is tedious. When I heard some people used a drill press for the holes. I wondered about putting the needle in the press and using it as a manual sewing machine after the holes were drilled. Switch to a needle feed one line from under and one from above on the needle.

When I see beautiful work like this I just assume it must be done by magic.

Dark arts.

Really, I am in awe of the skill required.

Last edited:

nice job. looks good.....

Back