• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Dan Koster Kickstarter Disaster

I think just ensuring the maker is listed & included is enough. (Include the year of mfg also).

If you sell a benchmade, do you have to inform the buyer they may have funded anti-2a leaning politicians? Or anything else they may have done? That is a buyers responsibility to research if they so desire.

Ted if the character of the maker gives you pause I would get rid of the knife.

I have a Strider AR and a ZT Strider that I got before I knew the backstory of that company. Now they just sit in a drawer and I don't want to use them and I"m honestly not even comfortable with selling them.
T. Erdelyi T. Erdelyi

I don't think it matters much, Ted. It's not the knife's fault. That's like blaming a good kid for having a crummy dad.

I would keep it, use it hard, and not get too bent out of shape if it got buggered up.

That’s the direction I’m leanin’. I’m gonna use the heck out of it like I’ve been doin. I’ll just have to shake my head while usin’ it and ponder on what great things he coulda gave to the knife community had he maintained a good reputation.

What is it that makes a promising bladesmith choose to disregard commonsense, lie and steal from what was a loyal customer base?

I guess we’ll never know, what a shame.

Ted if the character of the maker gives you pause I would get rid of the knife.

I have a Strider AR and a ZT Strider that I got before I knew the backstory of that company. Now they just sit in a drawer and I don't want to use them and I"m honestly not even comfortable with selling them.
T. Erdelyi T. Erdelyi

I've got two Bark River knives that feel the same about.

Dan claims that he received all the materials that he needed on 2/15/2018. He claims to have shipped one order in January 2019., and has not shipped another order since then...

Dan claims that he received all the materials that he needed on 2/15/2018. He claims to have shipped one order in January 2019., and has not shipped another order since then...
Are you surprised? His use of past excuses shows exactly what type of a maker he is. In the end it seemed like every other tread on his forum was asking when a past due order would be complete and then he shut down his presence on BladeForums. Best of luck to all that have skin in the game, I’m just glad I don’t any longer.:eek::mad::)

84wB3Eq.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seems to be a pattern with Mr. Koster. I was interested in his blades a number of years ago, but once I saw some of the complaints I decided that I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

It's really too bad people get duped like this. I saw and really liked some of Koster's designs when I first joined here but thankfully I found some of the threads about his business practices.

We have not received inventory from Koster in quite some time, none of what you see is anything close to a recent restock. it took 2 years to get our last order made.

DLT does not have a convenient cozy relationship with Koster, we just eventually received our order after years of waiting and need to sell it, new listings have popped up because we individually photographed a bunch of the wood handles to better represent them and try and generate more sales.

This kind of participation is really valuable. Thanks for chiming in! :thumbsup:

Would he have a way to fit locks before he went to kick starter?

To fit a lock, you simply grind the lock face to whatever angle you prefer (preference varies slightly by maker) so that it mates with the liner.

Anyone with a grinder and an adjustable tool rest can do this with some practice.

... and the debacle continues. He (supposedly) completed two knives in January. Since then, Dan provides a slightly different BS excuse / update about every 30 days. He has not shipped any more knives.

I really hope that this will be Dan's final con with the knife community. Please, spread the word about Dan so others don't fall victim to his scam.

Back