• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Dan Koster Kickstarter Disaster

That's probably the worst cutting (and well deserved) blow that you can make. I miss the old Dan. My very first custom knife that wasnt an HI was by Dan. I did it because I trusted him. I was young and about to get married without a lot of money.

I did get my knife. I did not have to wait 4 years. I did have to ask and ask and ask and ask and plead that he please at least sharpen the Yvsa Cherokee Special I sent him because I was going to cut my wedding cake with it. He delivered with about 2 days to spare. He had it for 6 weeks, I think. The ulu he sent was crooked garbage. This was when he first started out before he had a forum and bilked a ton of people.

I always liked Dan and still do. No bad dealings but nothing bought recently. His first gen bushcraft knife is one of my favorite knives still. If we are talking about HI alumni I'd say where Dan messed up was he did not do like Fiddleback. When he got to a certain size he scaled his production up and hired people.

I always liked Dan and still do. No bad dealings but nothing bought recently. His first gen bushcraft knife is one of my favorite knives still. If we are talking about HI alumni I'd say where Dan messed up was he did not do like Fiddleback. When he got to a certain size he scaled his production up and hired people.

I have nothing personal against Dan. He did meet my deadline for the one knife I bought from him...barely. I still found it a bit offputting to pay upfront for a basic knife that he offered on his site. The two knives Andy Roy made for me were to be in my hands before I even sent him a check. That said, with Andy I sent him a check the day we struck a deal. I have never once had an ounce of hesitation with Fiddleback Forge.

I think the big issue I have is that this isn't anything new. Dan had never gotten the hang of fulfilling orders...ever. 14 freaking years ago was when I had my knife made by him. An ulu. Literally a piece if steel sharpened (with a wavy misground edge) and glued into a piece of wood for a handle.

If you haven't gotten good at running your business in a decade and a half, stop. Quit taking orders. Quit making excuses. Just. Stop.

Back