1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Dan Koster Kickstarter Disaster

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by ncrockclimb, Nov 2, 2018.

1. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    I always liked Dan and still do. No bad dealings but nothing bought recently. His first gen bushcraft knife is one of my favorite knives still. If we are talking about HI alumni I'd say where Dan messed up was he did not do like Fiddleback. When he got to a certain size he scaled his production up and hired people.

Fiddleback and Steely_Gunz like this.
  2. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I have nothing personal against Dan. He did meet my deadline for the one knife I bought from him...barely. I still found it a bit offputting to pay upfront for a basic knife that he offered on his site. The two knives Andy Roy made for me were to be in my hands before I even sent him a check. That said, with Andy I sent him a check the day we struck a deal. I have never once had an ounce of hesitation with Fiddleback Forge.

I think the big issue I have is that this isn't anything new. Dan had never gotten the hang of fulfilling orders...ever. 14 freaking years ago was when I had my knife made by him. An ulu. Literally a piece if steel sharpened (with a wavy misground edge) and glued into a piece of wood for a handle.

If you haven't gotten good at running your business in a decade and a half, stop. Quit taking orders. Quit making excuses. Just. Stop.