Deer hunting day pack recommendations?

Firstly, Badlands makes some of the finest packs on the planet.. Not to mention, their warranty is equals their packs.

I have carried a super day pack for 15 years and it awesome . 8/ 10 day hunts in Alaska..

Your problem is your carrying a fanny IMHO. I hate fanny packs!!

Get yourself a real pack that your shoulders and hips carry. I would buy a badlands and be done. If you rip it, or a bear eats it, they will fix or replace.. No questions asked.. I know cause it happened to me.

I bow hunt now ( almost exclusively) and I still carry my badlands every time I step in the woods.

For many years, I've carried a shoulder bag as a daypack while hunting. Specificly a Swiss gas mask bag. If the weight bothers me for any reason, it just reminds me that I may have overpacked for a day trip. And I reconsider the importance of what I have packed. Some things can be miniaturized and some left at home. I don't like fannypacks and never considered getting a larger pack to tote more "stuff" on a day hunt.

30ubs4o.jpg

dh61kk.jpg

I have owned Badlands-Blacks Creek-Elberlesstock- I now carry a Cabela's Elite Scout pack. They are all great packs-I can't see spending $200 on a backpack anymore

I was going thru packs quite often and finally found one a couple of years ago that I love that is made by Redhead from BassPro. I think they've updated their models since then, but it has built in storage compartments on the waist belt, a pocket system that holds your bow or rifle strapped to the back, and the one feature I have used extensively: a blaze orange rain cover that packs away in an outside bottom zipper. I use that not only to keep it dry if necesary, but to find my bag again after I've stashed it for a stalk.

I have found that once you start carrying a day pack, you will stick to it. If it is a little big, then it's just lighter to carry. But often I find that I am stuffing things like sweatshirts, sweaters, parka and so forth in there and these tend to be bulky.

I use either a Maxpedition Jumbo or I just carry what I need in pouches on my belt when not carrying a stand.

I carry the Jumbo on either shoulder and carry it in front or back. I use a nylon belt/strap around my belly/waist for support and to keep it from bouncing.

When carrying a climber stand, I put "hunting junk" in pouches attached to the stand and carry "me" stuff in the Jumbo or on my belt.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I ordered the LL Bean. I also have a Badlands picked out if I don't like the Bean. http://badlandspacks.com/gear.php?userChoice=pursuit
The Super Day pack might be a little big for my needs.

I have this badlands pack and love it. It's been with me everyday for almost a year and there is absolutely no wear on it. Time to wash it up and load it for deer season and test it to, from, and in the treestand.

It might not quite fit the description of "day pack", but I have the Badlands 2800. I use it as a day pack. I used it to pack out my antelope a couple years ago and last year hunting the Quenn Charlotte Islands for Sitka blacktails I packed out two quartered deer at once. When moose or elk hunting it would allow you to at least get out the head/backstraps/tenderloins on the first trip, then head back in with the frieghter pack on the subsequent trips.

hunting2010033.jpg

I have also used this pack for overnight hunts.

My only complaint is the hip belt isn't adjustable for height (like some bigger expedition packs have), so at 6' 4" the hip belt is more of a stomach belt:rolleyes:.

Camel back trizip is my best pack ever
The maxped falconn II wsa great for small items due to its organization but the hip belt is useless and I foudn myself strap more gear on it making awkward

Has anyone used any of the Alps Outdoors packs? I know they aren't usually the most expensive, but just need a simple day pack for bow hunting. I've found one solid review, here, but just curious if someones used any Alps packs and if their quality is pretty good. Thanks.

I have and really like the badlands superday. It has enough pocket to keep everything organized. But a couple guys I hunt with use the alps outdoors and they really like them.

Really old thread. Any good Alpine pack/assault pack, about 30 liters will do. I have an Arc'terx from the 90s that is still going strong.

Has anyone used any of the Alps Outdoors packs? I know they aren't usually the most expensive, but just need a simple day pack for bow hunting. I've found one solid review, here, but just curious if someones used any Alps packs and if their quality is pretty good. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. You might want to start a new thread to ask your question since the original thread is old. In response to your question, I do not have experience with the Alps, but did look them over hard and they look like a good pack. I ended up going with an Eberlestock X-pack and have been happy with it.

I have been carrying the Cabela's Elite Scout pack, smaller size since 2006 and have been very pleased. Not one issue of any kind to date. Perfect for a day hunt and the pack is designed very well.

I use as slumberjack bounty in kryptek highlander, it’s a lot of pack. The other bag I use is a sandpiper of California bugout bag, which is also deceptively a lot of pack for what it is. The soc is rugged enough the support a full pack and my tree stand strapped onto it; plus their warranty is solid and the do honor it without issue.

I have a Slumberjack Pursuit. It's really comfortable and carries enough for a day or two if I pack well.
slumberjack-pursuit-vest-pack-02.jpg

I have the Badlands superday pack. It is big enough to carry all the things I need.

Back