Deer hunting

I think I'm in the minority, I like a 3" knife. Last season I used a Svord Peasant and before that a Becker BK-11. This year I light try mt Mora Pro stainless

I like a caping knife for gutting and skinning. I find the wide sweeping belly popular for skinning knives is not as useful as a nice pointy tip and a blade with a slight sweep to it. I have a Knives of Alaska Cub bear that is about perfect for my use on white tailed deer.

I've also used a spyderco bushcraft knife with no apparent problems.

Gutting and skinning a deer is not terribly difficult and most knives will do. Assuming it is sharp, a knife out of your kitchen butcher block would serve you well.

I like a caping knife for gutting and skinning. I find the wide sweeping belly popular for skinning knives is not as useful as a nice pointy tip and a blade with a slight sweep to it. I have a Knives of Alaska Cub bear that is about perfect for my use on white tailed deer.

I've also used a spyderco bushcraft knife with no apparent problems.

Gutting and skinning a deer is not terribly difficult and most knives will do. Assuming it is sharp, a knife out of your kitchen butcher block would serve you well.

hlee, I agree - skinnign knives are great for well, ... skinning. They're also good for around deer camp slicing pepperoni, sausage, cheese, bread and the like ... you know, the staples of any deer camp!

MOCraig, I could not agree with you more on the BK16 getting the ding-ding-ding award for deer hunting, field dressing and all-around deer camp knife. I've got a buncg prettier ones that work real well but the BK16 does provide value and functionality.

Where I hunt right now deer are on the small size. Doesn't take much knife to clean one. I can use something as small as an Izula II with TKC scales and my hands don't cramp up much (I have huge hands). Sometimes I use larger knives just because I can. I prefer something with more belly than the Izula though.

To me the overall length and the amount of belly are an important combination. Too long and the belly feels like it's way out at the end. Too short and it's not usable without getting my hands way up inside the deer needlessly.

Around 3.5-4" seems ideal, with a nice, continuous curve from ricasso to tip. I also like a distal taper vs. a thicker primary bevel out to the tip.

Sometimes a good hollow grind can leave the blade thick but still cut very well, with enough belly.

D.H Grohman Canadian belt knife is a great affordable deer hunting knife. Time tested also

I really like 5160. Great steel overall.

I have a oak 110 and a cocobolo 119 as well

I think I'll pick a 112 ranger next

17344128c4c48da0d7d0e918587ff2f9.jpg
7e5c66b22041cd0bab6df8183b9594a5.jpg
0ee5328c231d0a825c138a4f294215ce.jpg
8b074ea0fb182dbe07b53091c0003f2d.jpg

That cocobola with aluminum just looks super clean.

Thanks guys. They have a 119 in 5160 that's black handle with the brass pommel. Super nice.

Not my pic (from copper and clad website)
8fbc996f7f83f1b74ece6f70df122cfa.jpg

I like a 2.5 - 3 inch blade. Pretty much all drop point hunters looks the same for a reason, it just works.

9623306257_dafa7ef9d3_zps527cd41a.jpg

This one is a custom by my good buddy DanCo in TX.

-Xander

Lots of Bucks shown. There is nothting wrong with a good Buck.:)
I have one of the old discontinued V52 selector, the one that interchanges blades. it's very handy always have a sharp blade at hand.

gdpolk, That's pretty nice for your first or 50th!:thumbup:

Thanks. I'm pretty fortunate to have a good mentor and friend to help me learn the craft. Also, I am fortunate to have access to some quality tooling while I work on building up my own tooling as I'm just getting started. I haven't got up to my 50th knife yet. I see SEVERAL places to improve on my first and honestly each and every one I make is getting better and better. It's been really fun to learn the craft and make stuff for myself, family, and friends that will be used and cherished over time.

This is a larger one I did for my father in elmax, thuya burl, and ivory G10 liners. It was my second attempt at making knives:
IMG_3949_zpszuztfsby.jpg

That sparred interest from one of my best friends so I did him and his son a smaller matched set in elmax, desert ironwood from the same board, and ivory G10 liners:
IMG_4612_zpsly5qozlz.jpg

I've been doing some more simple designs lately and playing with different grinding techniques and various steels. My next batch will be in CPM 3V and will be a very similar knife to what I did for my father, except flat ground. I hope to do a little jimping, some file work along the spine on some, play with a few new woods, play with some different finishing techniques, and play with doing some tapered tangs and mitered bolsters on this batch. It is a really rewarding change of pace to piddle with in the garage after my day job. I'm sure not fast or efficient, but I don't do it to make money anyway. For me it's just a way to relax and kill some time not in front of the TV.

Last edited:
Wow the details on the one you did for your father are superb, Polk. I love your style:thumbup:

Back