• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Defective Emperor O Tanto Thread Deleted?(Cold Steel Censoring Negative Post)

Just replace all the junk you don't like with stuff you do, meaning the tsuba, etc.

There are tons available. At least you could then enjoy it. I assume it comes apart like any other katana.

You'd still have that weird grind on the bohi but that's relatively small potatoes if the rest is satisfactory.

The OP does not want a refund that was offered hence the complaint is just to create a scene and keep the drama going as long and as publicly as possible.

It appears this whole thing is a set up to bad mouth CS in a way that would get maximum exposure in Google searches and a dog whistle to the CS haters to comment and keep the drama alive.

Love many CS products (tri-ad lock and drop forged items are great) but personally I understand (because he spelled it out several times) and appreciate what the original OP, Geko21 was doing with his thread.

I hope his efforts lead to CS tightening up their operation.

I wonder if this has made it up to Lynn? I’d hope he’d change course and offer an explanation and/or, if what the OP states is true and correct, an apology along with a plan of action. This is seriously bad publicity amongst the people that they should be most responsive to imo.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, the most any manufacturer can do to make things right is to offer a refund. And that is more than many will do. You have been offered a refund and you have refused. As far as I'm concerned, the rest is therefore on you.

Note: the distributor is not owned by Cold Steel. It's a different company.

At the end of the day, the most any manufacturer can do to make things right is to offer a refund. And that is more than many will do. You have been offered a refund and you have refused. As far as I'm concerned, the rest is therefore on you.

Of course you are right, if this was meant as a customer complaint. It was not. I wanted to make people aware of what went on, and in the process to find out if this was usual practice with this company which I was not very familiar with. It may be seen as indulgence, bad character or whatever, but the threads regarding the issue and the various responses are quite informative to me, and I hope to some others as well.

Note: the distributor is not owned by Cold Steel. It's a different company.

Yes, they are under contract with CS to represent the brand in Europe. They can not be an official distributor if that was not so. Without having seen this particular contract I can not comment on what is in it, but being a party myself in several such contracts I have a pretty good idea what this usually means. Cold Steel sending bad merchandise to a distributor and then swiftly distancing themselves from said distributor when they get caught looks very, very bad and no doubt caused some significant internal commotion between the two companies. Whether they offered a refund or not is of no consequence whatsoever when they got caught doing false advertising and selling crap products. This is the only issue here. And they keep doing it right now.

I don't see a single reply from the maker in that thread. I see the OP posting hearsay from a dealer in Europe about this.

There is zero proof of any bad acts by Cold Steel. The OP showed up at a party and befouled the punch bowl you don't get applause for that; you get shown the door.

The nonsense about having a cadre of lawyers waiting to jump all over anyone who doesn't supply that guy a sufficient birthday present is amusing.

The host of that sub is under no obligation to let people show up and bash them with no proof. Deleting a thread like that is pest control, not censorship.
Agree 100 percent.

He was gifted something that someone told him was something and he was sad the quality wasn't what he thought it would be based on what the gift giver told him it was?

All heresay.

I hope your lawyers fail miserably.

Last edited:
If the parts were marketed as nickel silver and are actually brass instead, then that’s worthy of bringing to attention.

Very true. Would be interesting to see if anyone else here has bought these recent!y and what they received.

Just replace all the junk you don't like with stuff you do, meaning the tsuba, etc.

There are tons available. At least you could then enjoy it. I assume it comes apart like any other katana.

You'd still have that weird grind on the bohi but that's relatively small potatoes if the rest is satisfactory.

I think if I wanted a bare blade, I would buy a quality bare blade or one in shirasaya. If you have to toss the hardware because the pieces are crap and then overlook a bad grind, chances are that the blade is crap too. Would they have cheaped out on the fit and finish, the things that make merchandise move, and still used quality steel with proper heat treat? I wouldn’t trust this blade to cut anything more robust than a bagel. It’s a display piece only, which is sad considering the image Cold Steel wants to cultivate.

I think if I wanted a bare blade, I would buy a quality bare blade or one in shirasaya. If you have to toss the hardware because the pieces are crap and then overlook a bad grind, chances are that the blade is crap too. Would they have cheaped out on the fit and finish, the things that make merchandise move, and still used quality steel with proper heat treat? I wouldn’t trust this blade to cut anything more robust than a bagel. It’s a display piece only, which is sad considering the image Cold Steel wants to cultivate.

These were exactly my thoughts on this issue. The only way for me to trust their HT and steel claims now is to actually lab test the steels. 99% of their customers buy knives and would never notice the differences. After this happened with the Emperor O Tanto, and the broken guard of the CS hunting sword, I am examining every CS item I can get hold of out of mere curiosity. A CS Kobun I saw yesterday for example upon measurement turned out thinner than what is their stated blade thickness on the website, etc. and I am sure there will be many such discrepancies if one truly looks into their line of offerings. When a company decides to cut corners it is usually everything, not just one thing and it is a top level management decision.

I am examining every CS item I can get hold of out of mere curiosity. A CS Kobun I saw yesterday for example upon measurement turned out thinner than what is their stated blade thickness on the website, etc. and I am sure there will be many such discrepancies if one truly looks into their line of offerings.

Will all your test pieces be gifts from friends and relatives or are you just going to handle items stocked in shops for testing purposes then put them back on the shelf and run out of the store, lol.

Is there not something a bit more fulfilling you can do with your spare time or is this the pinnacle of your life?

Are your attorneys pursuing this as a class action? Will they invite other European customers to join in the claim, to add their experiences to yours?

n2s

For those who think that litigation over something like this is a bluff threat, please acquaint yourselves with the EU false advertising and customer protection laws and procedures. With such an obvious case it is very easy to do and costs nothing. It is not like in the US. I could cause a very real problem to their EU dealer but so far I am restraining from doing that, as in fact they were the honest ones and they were just played by Cold Steel USA.
ColdSteel.jpg

^ And I thought our court system here in the U.S. were bad; back logged with a bunch of frivolous BS.:rolleyes:

Not true.
You did not buy from Cold Steel, nor from a subsidiary. You purchased from a distributor, AKA, a dealer. You were told that by Cold Steel and you ignored it.

Further, you were offered a refund.

You were offered a refund. You refused it. I'm not sure what further recompense you want.

Now, I don't agree with removing threads from public view. However, I'm not certain what I would have done myself if I were in the position of having offered a refund, had the buyer refuse to take it, and had the buyer just sit and whine about it.

^ :thumbsup:

The OP does not want a refund that was offered hence the complaint is just to create a scene and keep the drama going as long and as publicly as possible.

It appears this whole thing is a set up to bad mouth CS in a way that would get maximum exposure in Google searches and a dog whistle to the CS haters to comment and keep the drama alive.

These were exactly my thoughts on this issue. The only way for me to trust their HT and steel claims now is to actually lab test the steels. 99% of their customers buy knives and would never notice the differences. After this happened with the Emperor O Tanto, and the broken guard of the CS hunting sword, I am examining every CS item I can get hold of out of mere curiosity. A CS Kobun I saw yesterday for example upon measurement turned out thinner than what is their stated blade thickness on the website, etc. and I am sure there will be many such discrepancies if one truly looks into their line of offerings. When a company decides to cut corners it is usually everything, not just one thing and it is a top level management decision.

Will all your test pieces be gifts from friends and relatives.

Is there not something a bit more fulfilling you can do with your spare time or is this the pinnacle of your life?

^^ Perfectly addressed, HH! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Some of these butt hurt thread's that I've read here in the GBU over the years, never cease to amaze/entertain me....& make me feel grateful, that I don't own a successful, lucrative, knife manufacturing company.

Back