DEK1

I treated the left side scale (shown here on the right) with a thin layer of the Obenauf's heavy duty LP to compare to the untreated right side scale in unbuffed OG green. I will let it sit for a good few days to dry out in our warm So. Cal indoor climate to see what happens when it drys out. So far, I like the richness of the color which is too fresh to tell:

LrIC80X.jpg

For Frazer, as promised DEK1 donned with the double black buffed micarta scales, pic taken indoors at 4:00 PM with still plenty of daylight:

G43W8Pd.jpg

Damn, that's a nice looking knife! It looks like they knocked it out of the park with this one, the triple patterned handles look awesome. I'd like to call dibs on that one if you ever decide to sell...:D

I treated the left side scale (shown here on the right) with a thin layer of the Obenauf's heavy duty LP to compare to the untreated right side scale in unbuffed OG green. I will let it sit for a good few days to dry out in our warm So. Cal indoor climate to see what happens when it drys out. So far, I like the richness of the color which is too fresh to tell:

LrIC80X.jpg

For Frazer, as promised DEK1 donned with the double black buffed micarta scales, pic taken indoors at 4:00 PM with still plenty of daylight:

G43W8Pd.jpg

Thank you! That looks amazing. My one is making fairly quick progress across the Atlantic fortunately

I've been noodling on a idea for making an inside the waistband sheath for the DEK1 out of the Kydex it comes with. Wondering if there is a way to add those studs I see on some of those (amazing!!) sash sheaths I see you guys getting from Mr. Long. And last night I realized the existing tecklok works perfectly!

(this may be the "no $#!t, Sherlock" moment of the day for many of you)

The clip sits on a 45° angle and perfectly picks up two of the holes that are on a half space. I did not know they would do that, and it dawns on me that's why those holes are set up on the odd spacing...

I put the clip on the outside, on the R.H. side of the sheath, and it is now set up that I can put it between my belt and my waistband. It is not fully IWB, just inside the belt only. It rides cross-draw just in front of my left hip. My belt then holds it, securely, at the perfect angle. It also conceals very well with even just a t-shirt.

Word of caution, as with any ISP / IWB setup, drawing the knife runs the risk of cutting something. In this case, the edge comes out right above the first belt loop. If I were not careful, I'm sure I'd slice something. But I have that same concern ANY time I'm wearing a belt sheath, inside or outside. Any time an edge is near my body I'm paying attention. So I always use my off hand to hold the sheath while putting the knife in. So in that regard, it is easier than wearing it on my right side and reaching across with my left hand. This puts everything right in easy reach.

cTiXwCYl.jpg
6Pqr8Zel.jpg

I've been noodling on a idea for making an inside the waistband sheath for the DEK1 out of the Kydex it comes with.

I tried the exact same thing when I got mine. The pancake style makes the sheath too wide for me to carry it comfortably IWB. I’m in the process of making a taco style sheath with soft loops to try and make it work. It’s taking longer than it should because I am trying to make it with a leather overlay on the kydex with an exotic inlay in the leather. I’d never seen it done before: now I know why.

Since I mentioned it on this thread and my wife has no interest in knives: here’s my first (and last?) attempt at a kydex sheath with a leather inlay. It’s apparently a lot harder to do an inlay on kydex than all leather.

Attachments

• 6493F9EB-8344-4F92-A38E-E0E790937973.jpeg
    6493F9EB-8344-4F92-A38E-E0E790937973.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 7BC6407B-FF8F-4D5F-9559-EEA64C300672.jpeg
    7BC6407B-FF8F-4D5F-9559-EEA64C300672.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 84
  • C7B5BF83-721E-4B84-B87F-0992D11F4249.jpeg
    C7B5BF83-721E-4B84-B87F-0992D11F4249.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 83
Maybe a penetrator tip option but hard to see an offering with an actual double edge like the DEF. I don't think that Nathan particularly enjoyed doing that (DEF) and with the K18 situation, I will be very surprised to see an elaborate DE version of the DEK: a DEDEK :D

Been playing around with mine for a week or two..Great knife. CPK team, you guys knocked it out of the park (again). Wish I could have taken two of these on my last deployment.

I've also been using it for some bushcrafty things just because I'm stubborn, I guess. No issues yet batoning through some harder wood, but I tried to avoid knots. The thin edge makes great feather sticks.

Back