DEK1

My DEK1 looks pretty futuristic to me. It has toughness and the elegance of simplicity. Captain Kirk would be proud to be packing a DEK1!
I think he was referring to the alleged bomb proof unbreakable reputation.
If so I would counter it with this argument:
The closest esee (still nothing alike) to the dek1 would be the jg5 and I guarantee the dek would piss all over it in every rational way

Esee’s are sort of brainlessly all purpose. Sorry, I mashed two thoughts together. I don’t have any special fondness for Esee knives either...

edit: And while we’re on the subject I picked up an esee sheath pocket for my HDFK once. It came with an altoids tin that was black and had a skull on it.

So, I spent a few days upstate with the DEK1. I haven't really had a chance to do much with it at all until now. It's a bigger knife than I expected but it is a broadly useful size. It lived in my pocket for a few days and I passed it around the family for food prep since we have no other decent knife. It's a very interesting design. I can't really test the defensive properties but besides those it was overall pretty good at everything. I made a few feathersticks and lit them with a ferro+striker just to see if I could. That went well. I made a few meals with it, as did my wife and my father in law (he adored it). That went well, too. I used it multiple times to open beer cans. It's just good at everything. Not the best, but it was good at everything.

Some general thoughts: I really love how easy it is to switch grips on it. At the same time, the nimbleness of it makes it not really ideal for use as a "big knife" because the handle is on the smaller side, and has a downwardly-angled rear almost reminiscent of a visconti pistol-grip. This is not a knock on the design, it's not a big knife. But more woodsy, off-design sort of use had me squeezing the handle pretty tightly' particularly on the pinkie and ring fingers. It absolutely excels at reverse chest-lever cuts. Just by far the best knife I've ever held for this. I did sometimes find myself wondering what a "thinner, harder" version of it would be like. It's actually quite a thick knife! I would be more inclined to take this out than my fk2. And also... it cuts so, soooooo well. The tip pierces easily and the edge is just absolutely sharp as a motherfucker. I just have never had a "factory" edge as sharp as this. First thing I did after I put it in my pocket was to open a sack of avocados. I, no shit, took the DEK out and sort of waved it at the bag on the table. It passed through so effortlessly I actually said aloud "holy fucking shit." It's like an entirely new level of sharp. I would never, ever want a penetrator or whatever tip on this. First of all, the tip pierces perfectly the way it is--you don't need anything else going on at the tip. Second of all, you would literally play with this thing, drop it on your foot, and die from blood loss. I had to watch it with the DEK1. My wife, god rest her thumb AND palm, learned this the hard way and she's still working through the tube of neosporin I gave her.

Conclusion-ish: I think this is one of those knives that is the best at what it says it's the best at: a defensive every day carry knife. You keep it on you and, hey, you have a somewhat innocuous un-fucking-believably sharp knife on you for use wherever you happen to need it. Also, the handle really is great. It locks your hand in very well but at the same time a bit of easing releases the grip almost immediately. It's hard to describe but it's a very lively knife. It feels like a fighting knife. It's intriguing. The boot dagger feels like a murder weapon. I hold the boot dagger in my hand and I just have no use for this knife except to stab something with repeatedly and angrily until it stops moving. It is basically a medieval weapon. The DEK has a bit of that, too, but it's submlimated into the single edge and slightly-swept handle. It's futuristic. It’s functional but at the same time it's not dumbly all purpose like an ESEE and never claimed to be. I don't know what else to say. It's a very intriguing knife and I like it. Also, absolutely no one is allowed to borrow it at parties--I don't need that on my conscience any more.
I enjoyed reading your impressions, and would like to just point out they were posted at 4:20 :)
If DEK1 is the knife for Capt Kirk, then DEK3 is the knife for Spock. DEK2 of more of a Klingon/Next Generation type thing

The broken ones give me a chuckle.
But to be fair I know some fine people through esee such as 91bravo 91bravo and his better half and it’s how I ended up being a cpk customer.
Anyway I’m not here to disparage other makes but focus on how good cpk are.
Love the dek

Yeah, I agree. I mean no disrespect to Esee, it just isn't my style. CPK is my style of knives.

I enjoyed reading your impressions, and would like to just point out they were posted at 4:20 :)
If DEK1 is the knife for Capt Kirk, then DEK3 is the knife for Spock. DEK2 of more of a Klingon/Next Generation type thing
Truth is the head librarian called all of us who were onsite into the reading room to celebrate our reopening to the public that week and we opened a few bottles of wine. I had some time after that before I picked up my wife so I thought i’d put down my impressions. I would have loved some 🌴🌴🌴 but society has not advanced to the point where we can celebrate that way at (most) workplaces quite yet...

Could someone post a picture with the DEK and an EDC? I’m really curious about the size and similarities/differences. Thank you!
Todays mail call
gfCnVUI.jpg

The DEK is thinking that it is going to kick my FK2 out of rotation.
Now I just need a double black with a swedge :D:D
great work guys, Love it!!

Murphjd25 Murphjd25 thing that surprised me the most about the dek is you get a lot of blade in a relatively compact and slimline package
I agree.
I carried my DEK1 a few times now during cycling and also running and the overall profile of the knife is great for IWB carry (I carry it cross-draw with Ulticlip).
I was never so sure about carrying a fixed blade during running/cycling, but its really no problem.

Sure looks like it! Thanks for your help! I see a DEK in the future!

If you can land one, you won't regret it. After getting my DEK1, I wanted to try out an EDC and compare the two and I can say with some certainty that if I had to choose between the two (gods forbid), I would keep the DEK1.

I work from home and my attire is pretty comfort driven. The EDC slips into my gym shorts pocket and I can go about my day without it feeling cumbersome or weighing down my shorts - the DEK1 is a bit too long for that sort of thing but in all other respects, it is a better knife. Longer blade, less restrictive handle - yet is still carries light and slim enough to not be a bother (when I'm not wearing gym shorts, of course).

I am very much looking forward to the DEK2 and DEK3 - I think this is a superb range for an everyday sort of knife.

dA7mGWT.jpg

Back