DEK2

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello, people;

Keeping things real, I'm just going to acknowledge the pandemic now. It's on everyone's minds, and yes, this and other forums provide a good escape from the exhaustion and heartache of it all, but the context here is important. I want you who read this to reflect for a moment before going further... so now that you've read this far, we're good to go.

It's relevant to my design work what is happening in the world. The basis for what I produce from within is both a reaction to and reflection of what I perceive around me. That's how it is for most people, I expect, but we don't often talk about that because we get caught up in hype, and sometimes the truth is either too boring or too irritating to focus on.

I think hype is an illusion, and I would prefer that people acknowledge what is going on and use that knowledge appropriately instead of falling for a bunch of marketing bullshit. So, this is a No Hype Zone!

That's why I'm going to try to be as informative as possible.

DEK1 is a knife that I designed for the average person to be able to comfortably carry on themselves as a handy utility knife over the course of a day. It would be intuitive for the non martially trained human to use as a defensive tool, should ever the need unfortunately arise. Like most knives, it's the handle design, primarily, which allows us to achieve this objective. Secondarily, all the various physical dimensions involved.

From the get-go, the plan was to create 3 knives with differing performance criteria, with DEK1 being the least specific and most generally versatile. All three would share handle scales, which would allow interchangeability. This is an important point, because both DEK2 and DEK3 with have handle materials specified in answer to their intended use and will not likely be available in much more than just colour options.

On to DEK2-

DEK2 will be a heavier, more robust knife than DEK1. The steel is thicker, (.19") and the blade is wider. It's the same length as DEK1. It will be flat ground and made from CPM3V. That steel is not only extremely tough at high hardness, it will hold an edge far better than steels with similar toughness. The particle metallurgy provides a more uniform distribution of smaller carbides, which provides less opportunities for cracking and chipping to propagate. This knife will not break. It will not easily stain or corrode and it is straightforward to resharpen with standard stuff.

You will be able to dig, pry, baton and chop with this knife. It is HEAVY DUTY. It will cut- for a long time- although you might use a different knife for peeling your apple.

Although the handle scales will be the same in dimension to DEK1 handle scales, the specification is as-machined in Terotuf only. Because the steel is thicker, the handle will be thicker as a result.

Terotuf is attributed as being 'non-toxic, chemically resistant to most cleaning supplies, and does not swell in water'. It's also wear resistant and energy absorbing, (both electrical and kinetic). These characteristics are of obvious benefit to those working in firefighting, first response healthcare, policing, heavy industry, military...any job where getting icky stuff on your handle and regular cleaning are necessary. It's also a very UV stable material which is of benefit to anyone working in direct sunlight or around germ killing UV lighting regularly. It has a warm feel to it. It may or my not be laminated to a composite layer, that's Nathan's call dictated exclusively by his knowledge and preferences in working with the material.

Oxidized steel fasteners are specified due to their more inert nature with regards to reacting with aluminum, and their greater resistance to rounding out with regular disassembly.

The handle design of the DEK series was conceived with economy of space, while providing dexterity and versatility in all grip positions, at top of mind. Those who carry a lot of gear on the job don't have much extra space, and in keeping with the DEK ideology, these knives are thought to work their best when you actually have one when you need it. The intuitive design philosophy I mentioned earlier is best learned through the muscle memory provided by having regular, knowable access day after day. This knife can live in your vehicle, on your vest, your tool belt of whatever form of kit you have prepared for your probably fairly dangerous work.

I said a long time ago that DEK stands for Defensive Everyday Knife. That wasn't accurate- what I should have said was Defence Everyday Knife; defence from any danger. Not defensive in a tactical sense, but defensive in a strategic way.

During these times of widespread strife, those who take the biggest risks to serve the greater good are who I designed DEK2 for. If I can provide another tool option for these workers- which may help save their life or someone else whose life they're saving- then I will do my best to do that.

The last thing I'll mention is this thread itself. I'll remind you of the point I made earlier regarding the forum being a distraction from the greater issues of our time. Although I don't want to gloss over what's going on with our species and the planet that we all exist on, I do want you to feel at home in this thread. Have a nice time here. It will be awhile before this thread reaches its physical conclusion, so enjoy each other's company and be well.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I am "in." But, more importantly, I want to thank you for a very thoughtful, appropriate and timely piece. Without hype you have touched on very important topics at a time of uncertainty and, for many of us, downright consternation. So, again, thank you for your thoughts and what you are doing with respect to the design of this particular knife. I will look forward to concept drawings of the knife, and very much look forward to hearing your thoughts on the DEK3 and its place in the lineup. All the best to you and thanks again.

I appreciate you taking the time to give us yet another glimpse into your design philosophies - one of the many things I enjoy about this sub is how open you and Nathan are about your processes.

I am a bit of an outlier with regards to CPK knives in that though I am an enthusiastic owner and user, I comparatively have very few of them. I tend to take you guys at your word and believe that there is little to no cause for worry with regards to the longevity and durability of these knives - as a result, I've never seen a reason to try to get more than one of any given pattern.

I do not have my DEK1 in hand yet (patience) so I don't have anything to compare these DEK2 revelations to quite yet but I do know that I like what I am hearing and am greatly looking forward to seeing it manifest as the project evolves. If I'm understanding correctly, this is a specific/different design implementation (with it's distinct philosophies) on an existing platform versus an evolution from a "version 1" to a "version 2" (i.e. Utility Field Knife to FK2).

I reached my physical conclusion just reading all you had to say regarding the DEK2. Thicker, wider, full flat. Sounds like a winner.

I’m guessing .22-.25” thick?
.19” sounds great. I think I was thinking the DEK1 was already .19” thick for some reason.

Regarding the electrical energy absorbing properties of the terotuf, I don’t imagine we’ll see a fully captured tang right? Isolating the handle from the blade (RMJ Shrike). Thinking out loud, I suppose the fasteners themselves would still pose an issue even if the tang were fully captured. Nothing to see here. Carry on.

Last edited:
Back