DEK3

It's a great looking knife, but that "not sharpened" swedge is a no-go for me personally.
I thought it was originally going to be sharp, which was one reason I passed on the preorder.

Thinner and hollow ground without the swedge, would've had me in at the start.

Unsharpened swedge = I'll probably try to get one to check it out.

The swedge is "sharpish" but NOT sharpened.

Unless you paid for sharpened, which was only a measly 40 bucks.

Or do like I did and pay a mere 75 smackeroos for double edge tip and rear sharp swedge, combined.
Wait, does that mean yours will have a back edge sharp all the way to the tip?

If so, I somehow missed that it was an option.

This is all very confusing. What I've been trying to say, (unsuccessfully), is that I'm neither interested in a sharpened swedge, nor a sharp-ish swedge nor any of their close relatives. I prefer a rounded or similarly blunt-ish spine.

Standard swedges which do not narrow the spine to the point of either creating discomfort or actual bloodletting in various grips or applications, are welcome.

The Amazing Virginian The Amazing Virginian ... our attorney-client relationship is at an end before it began. 🤣
Roger. Hiccup.

I really went back and forth on if I should get the swedge sharpened and double edge tip. After reading one of Nathan’s posts about losing a lot of tip strength if adding the double edge tip. I decided to just get sharpened spine/swedge. Then I started thinking what’s the point of that? It’s not a dagger. Well it could be. But I’m buying it to be an awesome slicer. Then I tried imagining the sharpened spine in use. I like to touch the spine of the knife when cutting. So I finally settled on just the way it comes without extras.

I really went back and forth on if I should get the swedge sharpened and double edge tip. After reading one of Nathan’s posts about losing a lot of tip strength if adding the double edge tip. I decided to just get sharpened spine/swedge. Then I started thinking what’s the point of that? It’s not a dagger. Well it could be. But I’m buying it to be an awesome slicer. Then I tried imagining the sharpened spine in use. I like to touch the spine of the knife when cutting. So I finally settled on just the way it comes without extras.
That was probably the right decision.

After all . . .

^This is a very good value for this knife and is the configuration that [Nathan] recommends.

the DEK3 was always intended to be capable as serving a tactical chef's needs. The suggested variant for tactical chef use would have a higher grind line for a more acute included bevel angle- possibly hollow ground- and no swedge.

Got my DEK3 today and I love it! I went with the sharpened swedge, non sharpened tip, and ECAM scales. I really like the thin hollow grind, and the ECAM scales are beautiful. Also got a great Pirtlemade sheath, and a taco Mashed Cat sheath.
IMG_4501.jpegIMG_4495.jpeg
IMG_4494.jpeg

Last edited:

I can have any configuration I want (obviously) and that's the one I chose.

I was using it to cut drywall and wire today. I used a hammer on the spine to cut that 10 ga wire with no problem. *shrug*

After carrying it today and using it side by side with my daily carried EDC 2 I'm really liking this DEK 3. It's almost identical in weight to my EDC 2 (it's actually ever so slightly lighter), but the way the DEK 3 handles it feels substantially lighter in hand.

It will cut!

Got my DEK3 today and I love it! I went with the sharpened swedge, non sharpened tip, and ECAM scales. I really like the thin hollow grind, and the ECAM scales are beautiful. Also got a great Pirtlemade sheath, and a taco Mashed Cat sheath.
View attachment 2181455View attachment 2181457View attachment 2181459

Grats brother, a very nicely configured DEK3 for our very own Mister Sharp Dressed Man!

Gus, is that a DEK2 sheath which also happens to fit your DEK3?

I can have any configuration I want (obviously) and that's the one I chose.

I was using it to cut drywall and wire today. I used a hammer on the spine to cut that 10 ga wire with no problem. *shrug*
To be honest it is the tip and not the spine, i'd be worried about. I am to much of a knucklehead. I think if I were a sensible user who didn't do dumb things with my knives, I would have picked up a Dek3.

I have snapped a tip off of a ¼ inch thick Elmax and 1095 knives. Mind you, they weren't Δ3V nor nearly as quality as your knives, nor how i'd use any of your knives. But still. To much of a knucklehead for a tip that thin

Last edited:
Back