Delica 4: Why buy saber ground over full flat grind?

Says who? :D

delica2.jpg

delica1.jpg

curious, where did this knife came from?
I thought that the ZDP's were the ones that are changing from saber to FFG. Is this knife a G10 blade in a FRN handle? I am hoping for a black FRN with a VG10 FFG blade. Is this What will be made if the short run of color FRN's work out?
thanks

curious, where did this knife came from?

Somebody bought a G10 Delica and a ZDP-189 Delica, decided they want G10 handles and a ZDP-189 blade, swapped, then sold the flat-ground + green handled knife that was leftover.

I thought that the ZDP's were the ones that are changing from saber to FFG.

As far as we know, the short run of FFGs coming out will be of VG-10 steel. One guy on this forum got a factory flat-ground ZDP-189 Endura, but I think that's the only incident we've ever heard of this happening.

I am hoping for a black FRN with a VG10 FFG blade. Is this What will be made if the short run of color FRN's work out?
thanks

The FFG D4s and E4s will be available in gray, desert brown, and pastel blue and purple and green handles. If you want to get a look at them, check out Nutnfancy's SHOT show video on Youtube.

It doesn't really matter that much except for slicing/"food preparation" (which I for the life of me can't understand why people would use a folding knife for instead of a kitchen knife, it just perplexes me) or if you use the knife for cutting wood, which you usually use a bushcraft knife for anyway.

Thank you!!!! I thought I was alone here lol I have never understood why or how someone could use their nice Spydie for food prep. First of all the thought of carrying something around in your pocket picking up lint and whatever else, and then using it for food prep is to me.... unsanitary. I mean, how dirty is all the stuff you are cutting with your knife on a daily basis. Secondly, there are just too many cracks and crevisses for liquids and solids from food prep to hide in a folder. You can't get it all by just rinsing it. Not to mention the stink that would hide in the knife if you used it to cut onions!!

It's just a million times easier to use a nice kitchen knife for the job.

I could go on.... and don't even get my started on people cleaning their fingernails with their $100 Spydie <shiver> lol :D

I agree 100%!!! I've always thought it was ludicrous to use a folder for home food prep when even the cheapest of cheap kitchen knives is more suited to the task, even if only moderately sharp. But my reasons have little to do with sanitation. It's more about blade thickness, blade length, blade geometry, edge geometry, grind, handle ergos, overall profile, or the combination of any and all of those things. Modern folders are simply aweful at food prep. Aweful, aweful, aweful! No way around it.

I'd never choose saber ground over full flat ground for folders. The only knives I've done that with is a Scrapyard Dogfather, where the saber grind gave it more weight which made it out-chop the FFG version. FFG cuts much better for the things I use a small pocket knife for, I'm very glad they're changing the grind on the Endura and Delica. I'm curious to see how they sell compared to the originals.

Thank you!!!! I thought I was alone here lol I have never understood why or how someone could use their nice Spydie for food prep. First of all the thought of carrying something around in your pocket picking up lint and whatever else, and then using it for food prep is to me.... unsanitary. I mean, how dirty is all the stuff you are cutting with your knife on a daily basis. Secondly, there are just too many cracks and crevisses for liquids and solids from food prep to hide in a folder. You can't get it all by just rinsing it. Not to mention the stink that would hide in the knife if you used it to cut onions!!

I could go on.... and don't even get my started on people cleaning their fingernails with their $100 Spydie <shiver> lol :D

Pocket clips make pocket lint a non-issue.

Many of my spydercos have a thin, FFG, thin edge bevels, are hair whittling sharp and have excellent edge retention. The same can't be said for the kitchen knives in my house or at others houses / at the workplace. I don't like using dull knives to cut food, makes a mess.

If you're careful not to get the food juices on the handle or in the pivot, it's a real easy cleaning job. Just rinse the blade, wipe off the water and you're good.

On the go, I typically don't EDC a kitchen knife. Millies and Police 3's make quick work of apples etc.

If you're worried about sanitizing the blade just rinse with hot soap and water prior to food use. I've cut hundreds of onions up for cooking with my Spydercos and none of them smell.

Don't see the big deal myself I guess. I do carry a SE hawkbill for cutting things that I wouldn't want to cut with my knives that could potentially be used on food though. But I know how clean my EDC's are and what they've been used for. The slimy coated, rusted, dull and beat up kitchen knife sitting in the sink...who knows?

Modern folders are simply aweful at food prep. Aweful, aweful, aweful! No way around it.

I think letting you use my reprofiled, hair whittling sharp Military or Police 3 might change your mind. They cut through all kinds of foods extremely well, and are plenty ergonomic. At home I have a J.A. henckels santoku I typically use, but on the go or at work etc. the folders work great for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Sal! I am still learning about the different grinds and their applications. I can definitely see the value of a saber grind, as I would be a little hesitant to subject the few FFG blades I own to real heavy duty use. But I am probably guilty of babying my knives too much lol

Don't see the big deal myself I guess. I do carry a SE hawkbill for cutting things that I wouldn't want to cut with my knives that could potentially be used on food though. But I know how clean my EDC's are and what they've been used for. The slimy coated, rusted, dull and beat up kitchen knife sitting in the sink...who knows?

Of course a sharp spydie will out perform a "slimy coated, rusted, dull and beat up kitchen knife' but who the hell uses them?? That is a completely stupid comparison..

A good quality thin sharp fixed blade kitchen knife is 100 times better than a folder in the kitchen. That's kind of why it's called a kitchen knife.

I agree 100%!!! I've always thought it was ludicrous to use a folder for home food prep when even the cheapest of cheap kitchen knives is more suited to the task, even if only moderately sharp. But my reasons have little to do with sanitation. It's more about blade thickness, blade length, blade geometry, edge geometry, grind, handle ergos, overall profile, or the combination of any and all of those things. Modern folders are simply aweful at food prep. Aweful, aweful, aweful! No way around it.

To each his own, but my Spyderco Military is my "go-to" kitchen knife. Nothing in the kitchen cuts better. I keep it clean and sanitized.

Of course a sharp spydie will out perform a "slimy coated, rusted, dull and beat up kitchen knife' but who the hell uses them?? That is a completely stupid comparison..

A good quality thin sharp fixed blade kitchen knife is 100 times better than a folder in the kitchen. That's kind of why it's called a kitchen knife.

Chef knives make poor EDC's. If I want to cut some meet up in the woods or eat an apple at the park, a Military or Pacific Salt will do a great job.

Also, I've done comparisons between a thin bladed kitchen knife kept very sharp (My personal kitchen knife, only I use it) and my Spyderco Military using a scale to cut foods on. Most foods the kitchen knife only does about 10-20% better, on some foods the Military does better. 100 times better? Not quite. More suited to the purpose? Of course, that's why I use one in the home. But like I said, who wants to EDC a chef knife...

I'm very glad they're changing the grind on the Endura and Delica. I'm curious to see how they sell compared to the originals.

I've always avoided the Delicas and Enduras, mostly because of their grinds. I will pick up one of each of the new FFG models the minute they're available at my store of choice.

To each his own, but my Spyderco Military is my "go-to" kitchen knife. Nothing in the kitchen cuts better. I keep it clean and sanitized.

I don't doubt your Military cuts like a greased laser and that it works great for you--better than anything in your kitchen, in fact. "Your" kitchen being the operative word and, to you, only relevant issue. My Military, on the other hand, pales in comparison to some of my better kitchen knives, despite the Military's thinly reprofiled and Edge Pro sharpened edge. It tree tops and still it's not even close. Yes, the tip end of the Millie's blade is very thin and can get some decent slicing done, but it quickly chunks out the farther back to the pivot end you go. I wish I had as much confidence and success with my Military as you, as I would then have another reason to pull out and use one of my favourite folders of all time.:)

I don't always have a nice kitchen knife if I'm cooking at somebody else's place. I always have a nice pocket knife or three. My Lum Chinese made short work of onions and other stuff at the hostel I was staying at yesterday while on a trip... I've seen butter knives sharper than what the kitchen had. Ever tried to slice tomatoes with a dull knife?

Just wash it before and after if you're worried about dirt and gunk. Knives are meant to be used, after all.

I EDC an Endura3. I find the saber grind works well for my tasks. I do feel it drag running through big cardboard boxes, but it's nice when I'm prying open some glued boxes. I guess the Pacific Salts will continue to be saber or hollow ground or whatever they are.

I previously owned that British Racing Green D4 with the transplanted FFG blade. I got it in a trade and while everything was tight and worked perfectly...I just didnt like the FFG as much as I thought I would.

It's THE grind for other Spydercos for me but I like the sabre on the Delica. Seems more robust.

For my uses, a folder with a flat grind works better than a saber grind.

Simple really, I find FFG slices better. I'm seriously considering buying a G-10 and ZDP delicas and swapping the blades. A ZDP & G-10 delica would be awesome, and so would the FFG FRN delica.

The things I typically cut throughout the day I find the FFG works well. Most of my edc folders are FFG though... it really wasn't planned that way at first but then i did start to prefer them. I don't normally need a heavy duty blade for my everday cutting... even at work i might use it to cut through thick plastic(FFG works best) or rubber radiator/heater/fuel hoses,carpet, electrical tape and of course, opening boxes, etc. ant the ffg hasn't let me down yet... I think its still plenty strong for my needs. I have other knives that I don't edc that will handle larger cutting tasks.

I personally prefer FFG, and can't even consider a saber being better for a 3" or 4" folder. To me, for more strength, a steel with higher impact toughness at higher hardness is the path to improvement, not throwing more of a less suitable steel behind the cutting edge. Not thickening the edge, increasing grind angle, dropping the hardness, or differential tempering.

I personally prefer FFG, and can't even consider a saber being better for a 3" or 4" folder. To me, for more strength, a steel with higher impact toughness at higher hardness is the path to improvement, not throwing more of a less suitable steel behind the cutting edge. Not thickening the edge, increasing grind angle, dropping the hardness, or differential tempering.

+1x10^100 :D:thumbup:

As the Saber grind is sharpened and the edge moves ever so slowly up the blade, the edge will become thicker and thicker do to the steep angle that only goes approximately half way up the blade.

Will most people use the knife in their lifetime enough for this to be an issue: probably not, unless their using it for extremely abrasive tasks.

The relative thinness of the Full Flat Grind's blade profile does make it the sharper of the two grinds, a better slicer, as well as being longer lasting.

Aesthetically , or as NutnFancy says, ASSthetically, the FFG blade is clean and functional looking. Minimalism at its best.

Back