Delica 4 ZDP 189

Thanks ,I was being sarcastic about the paras being defective,I love my para 2,but from now on no more imported knifes for me !
The Taichung knives are the specialty ones designed by other makers and they sometimes are stonewashed, which softens the edge around the hole. So no more imported knives is counterintuitive to your quest for smooth spydie holes.

Here is an excerpt from the Ankerson cut tests. Sure the S30V blade is a custom.
Sure there are not enough examples of ZDP-189 represented in the test.
I'm just saying . . .
(and yes I would still rather have ZDP blades ;))

What you missed though is that is a custom heat treated knife thats 0.006" BTE. That is a MAJOR difference compared to a stock Endura that's more than likely about 0.020" BTE. A more apt comparison would be the military he tested that's roughly the same measurement BTE. It's also the same brand which makes for a fair comparison. Taking those factors into account, ZDP easily beats S30V. Plus, I'm sure if he tested a custom heat treated blade in ZDP with the same BTE measurement, it wouldn't even be close.

S30V - 300 - Military - 60 RC

Back locks aren't as flickable as compression locks, because they have the backspring tension, which has greater pull than a ball detent. They can still be flicked, though, and especially easier if the blade is a longer one.

Many of the Seki models have slightly 'sharp' holes, but my Golden models aren't chamfered either. Hole 'sharpness' has never bothered me; I've seen a few people post that they thought it would cut them (soft skin, perhaps?), but I've never understood that, nor ever came close to feeling that the hole was uncomfortable. If the hole were chamfered smooth, it would make opening difficult. I have older Benchmade Griptilians with chamfered oval holes that have far less traction during opening.

If you don't like imported Spydercos, or their holes are too sharp for you, then stick to the Golden ones.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks lol soft skin that’s a good one ,but the more I think about it maybe it’s really the fact that’s it’s not made in America yes the spidey hole is annoying but more than that it’s not made in the USA and there is no reason spyderco couldn’t I have quite a few knifes and this is my only import and will remain that way ,like my paras and not bad mouthing spyderco but they could make them in the USA and be proud of it Benchmade is able to do it and employ Americans doing it at same price point (bugout) as a example

I like that Spyderco taps into the cutlery expertise from around the world. Variety is good.

Some maintain that the Taichung factory provides a fit and finish superior to Golden.

Hi Chesapeake/cbr,

The sharp holes are intentional. As mentioned, more traction. Also, all of the other comments are also true: lock-backs have more resistance so they are harder to open, the added resistance may make the hole feel sharper, don't overdo the "softening" of the sharp hole. Can't undo if you take off too much. I would suggest just using the knife as is, whithout tweaking until it's broken in. Also as mentioned, Since you are fairly new to Spyderco, I would suggest no "mo more imports" as you will really limit your options.

Making knives in different places gives us the opportunity for more variety. I would suggest keeping an opened mind?

sal

I like the zdp for only one reason: it sharpens better than any other steel; using just sandpaper, a glass slab, and metal polish.

It’s really strange I don’t really care for this delica but I carry it every day and find myself thinking about getting another one wtf?

Reply sent to you about your warning me about replying to John_0917 trolling if you feel the need to ban me go ahead as you didn’t post a warning to the troll ?

Reply sent to you about your warning me about replying to John_0917 trolling if you feel the need to ban me go ahead as you didn’t post a warning to the troll ?
Correct spelling and correct punctuation makes reading your comments bearable. I completely ignored your opening post because it’s an eyesore. You’ll continue to be teased about it. That’s the way of the world. It doesn’t take much effort to spell correctly and to include periods and everything else you didn’t feel the need to use.

Delicas are great. Use it and you’ll love it.

Correct spelling and correct punctuation makes reading your comments bearable. I completely ignored your opening post because it’s an eyesore. You’ll continue to be teased about it. That’s the way of the world. It doesn’t take much effort to spell correctly and to include periods and everything else you didn’t feel the need to use.

Teasing is fine ,just don’t like arrogant trolls and if my post are unbearable u are free and encouraged to not read or reply Thank you so much for your input

Well said...
I’ve also posted literally over a thousand times in this sub forum for several years...

Anyway ... if one wants to reduce the sharpness of a ZDP hole I would recommend using a round diamond rod to cut the steel best.

Back