Delica/Endura in M4?

I see from searching the net that this has never happened. Is there a known reason or is it simply that it hasn't happened? I am not super familiar with ZDP, but is it because ZDP and M4 carry many of the same characteristics? I really love my Delica 4 in VG-10 and I have a renewed love of my GB1. I was just thinking about how impressive a Delica or Endura would be in M4.

M4 is an American Steel, ZDP is a Japanese steel, and the Delica is produced in Japan.

Generally speaking, Seki produced knives like to use Japanese steel. There have been a few exceptions but they’ve been sprints or exclusives. Not saying it can’t or won’t happen, but for M4 like performance in a Delica, HAP40 may be the closest.
M4 would be gnarly or M390, 204 ,cru wear, any of those would be cool.
M390 and Cruwear have both recently been done

M4 is an American Steel, ZDP is a Japanese steel, and the Delica is produced in Japan.
M390 is German, yes? The precedent exists. Spyderco has a love affair with M4. I love how sharp it gets and how well it holds an edge.

I'd be down for one....if I could actually buy one. Maybe make more the 200-300?

V4E or 4V has my vote. Perhaps a dark red FRN St Nick's exclusive?

Or if BHQ can do one in Jade FRN with TiCN coated M4, now that would be cool.

There have been S30V Delicas and now M390 and Cruwear, and the K390 Police, so they are becoming more open to imported steels it seems.

HAP40 is Hitachi’s version of CPM M4 so it has pretty much been done already as a laminate

A lot of people (myself included) don't like the laminated blades for a variety of reasons. So M4 would be a must buy for me where I have literally zero interest in Hap40, V-Toku, Super Blue, and other laminated steel blades.

A lot of people (myself included) don't like the laminated blades for a variety of reasons. So M4 would be a must buy for me where I have literally zero interest in Hap40, V-Toku, Super Blue, and other laminated steel blades.

Technically I think HAP40 composition matches REX45 but they are pretty close.

I’m with you with the Laminates, the 420 stainless they use is too soft. You could get a Caly in SuperBlue.. I would recommend you give it a try if you can.

Lots of M4 stuff from Blade HQ. I'd focus what I can get vs. pining for what will never be.

Most people thought cruwear, s30v, etc would never be. You can’t count out anything from Spyderco.

Most people thought cruwear, s30v, etc would never be. You can’t count out anything from Spyderco.

Yep, also BHQ is probably one of, if not Spyderco's largest buyers. So if BHQ really wants to run Seki models in M4 (Jade FRN/FRCP with TiCN M4 would be a huge hit in a Delica, Dragonfly, Endura, etc), I would think Spyderco would do everything in their power to make it happen.

Back