• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Delivery Dilemma

If only delivered really meant delivered , rather than likely delivered. With USPS delivered can mean delivered to correct party, delivered to incorrect party, stolen by carrier or still sitting in the PO. Signature helps a lot, but they can even screw that up.
I like USPS, but it is what it is.

Signature required. I’ve been doing this much more often lately and am leaning to always doing it, even at extra cost to me.

Bingo. Hate to say it but unless you did this it is still on you.

Happened to me twice shipping, and once recieving. All 3 times the cost was split right down the middle between both parties after all avenues were exhausted with USPS. It isn't the buyers fault if they dont get the package. I always ship signature confirmation.

You had a very understanding buyer. I would be a bit miffed if I was asked to take a loss on something I never received.

I
Not even that is a sure thing. I have shipped expensive items with signature required and the package was left at the front door. :rolleyes:

In that case if it disappeared you would have a very strong case for an insurance claim.

It’s a bad situation all the way around for both of you. I know the anxiety I feel, even if it’s only a day late by the ETA. Please go into the USPS and speak to a supervisor, and take it from there as what the next step is in tracking the package. Find out the what the GPS says.

No one can tell you what to do, but I would, if the package can’t be found, refund the buyer, 1/2 the money.

No guarantee, but next time, consider “signature required.” Then if the signature didn’t happen, it will strengthen your insurance claim. I wish you luck.

Would you be happy with that result as a buyer? Genuine question...

I have not heard from the buyer since Sunday. One would think that he would get back to me if he found the knife or didn't. Very strange.

Would you be happy with that result as a buyer? Genuine question...
In situations of this type someone is going to be real unhappy or both parties are going to be a little unhappy. I think it is a pretty fair resolution. Seller mailed and insured the item, so they did all they could. PO says it was delivered, so they aren't going to pay on the insurance. If it was not delivered it would still be sellers responsibility IMO, but if it was and stolen from buyers house it should be buyers responsibility. Since neither buyer or seller know for sure a split seems fair to me.
My opinion no matter which side of the deal I was on
Signature works well, but many buyers absolutely hate them, since their schedules don't allow for receiving item or going to the PO

Last edited:
I have not heard from the buyer since Sunday. One would think that he would get back to me if he found the knife or didn't. Very strange.

This plays into how generous I might be as a seller. I expect full cooperation from the buyer in trying to resolve the issue.
I have no set rules as to how I handle these cases and what I feel about the buyer plays into it. I would give nothing if I thought they were a thief. I might give full if they did their best to help and this was going to be a hardship to them. Usually it is a split. May be other variables, but those are a few.

Dennis, as a seller you can elect to go above and over the call of duty in such unfortunate cases but you also have to be very careful about going above and beyond specially if the buyer himself is tardy in responding!

For sure you can do the leg work by going to your own USPS to initiate an investigation or as some have suggested even agree to split some of the loss with the buyer, but the reason that I mentioned caution is because in some cases when the evidence clearly shows package delivered after a reasonable passage of time, your extra efforts could backfire because of something called "guilt". Remember the old adage that "no good deed will go unpunished" so my suggestion to you is that you ought not do anything more after you refer the case to your own USPS. The ball is now in your buyer's court.

⬆︎⬆︎⬆︎

Exactly. I would be willing to do all that, but I would like to hear from the buyer. I suggested that he check with his family to see if the package might have been brought into the house and they forgot to tell him. An email one way or the other would be nice. As you say, the ball is now in the buyer's court. If he can't be bothered, neither can I.

In situations of this type someone is going to be real unhappy or both parties are going to be a little unhappy. I think it is a pretty fair resolution. Seller mailed and insured the item, so they did all they could. PO says it was delivered, so they aren't going to pay on the insurance. If it was not delivered it would still be sellers responsibility IMO, but if it was and stolen from buyers house it should be buyers responsibility. Since neither buyer or seller know for sure a split seems fair to me.
My opinion no matter which side of the deal I was on
Signature works well, but many buyers absolutely hate them, since their schedules don't allow for receiving item or going to the PO

So for me until the buyer is satisfied I feel that it is my responsibility. If the package goes missing I refund the money and then deal with the post office on the insurance. In the one case I have had like this I requested to see the signature by calling the local post office where the delivery went awry. When they finally ponied it up low and behold it did not belong to the buyer who was a single guy living alone. It turns out it did belong to the mail carrier however. I pointed this out and the package magically appeared the next day.

I requested to see the signature by calling the local post office where the delivery went awry. When they finally ponied it up low and behold it did not belong to the buyer who was a single guy living alone. It turns out it did belong to the mail carrier however. I pointed this out and the package magically appeared the next day.
Not the 1st time that has happened-even happened to one of my packages

When they finally ponied it up low and behold it did not belong to the buyer who was a single guy living alone. It turns out it did belong to the mail carrier however. I pointed this out and the package magically appeared the next day.

Just curious, how did you have a copy of the mail carrier's signature, at the delivery end, to compare?????

So for me until the buyer is satisfied I feel that it is my responsibility. If the package goes missing I refund the money and then deal with the post office on the insurance.
Sounds like you require a signature on all packages you send out, which would clarify if it is a delivery problem .
? do you receive any negative responses for sending packages with a signature required, by buyers that find it a hassle.?

Once the package is delivered the seller is no longer responsible. The buying is 100% responsible for providing a safe place for delivery. Insurance only will be honored by the carrier until package is delivered. If you’re not sure about the security of your delivery location you better ask for signature required.

Sounds a little odd to me too, but who knows. They’re trying to solve an issue and maybe thinking to clear their guy out of the situation only to find out he’s the issue. Once confronted with a federal felony theft, it shows up!

One thing to keep in mind is that not all people who deliver the mail are USPS employees. Some are contractors. I see that here. They drive their own vehicles which are not marked as USPS in a any way.

Depending on the location, signature required can be real PITA. The mail delivery people will not come to my door. We get our mail in community lock boxes about 12 mile away. If something needs a signature, they leave a notice and I have to go to the post office to get it. I imagine that if the recipient lives on a farm or other remote place, the delivery person probably will not drive 1/2 mile on a bumpy dirt road to get a signature.

Back