• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Delivery Dilemma

Sounds like you require a signature on all packages you send out, which would clarify if it is a delivery problem .
? do you receive any negative responses for sending packages with a signature required, by buyers that find it a hassle.?

Yes, I always get signature confirmation it is for my protection not theirs, just like the insurance. Oddly, no one has ever fussed. Perhaps I have been lucky. The only irate shippee that I have ever had was the guy in Canada that I shipped an antique bayonet to with the full insurance value. It cost a bit in custom duties because of the declared value and he got angry about it. That's a shame but you can bet if that bayonet had gone missing he would have expected me to pay for it.

Hell, they won't drive 500 feet up a blacktop drive (and back, to be sure). And they closed our PO - "Too busy" - so we have to drive 28 miles to the neighboring county to "cash" the lying pink slips. I like the idea of the USPS, just not the execution.

I've been a contractor for the postal service for 23 years, doing the same route. I learned early on the neighborhoods I could leave packages and the ones I couldn't. In that time, only had 2 packages come up missing. New family in a neighborhood ,bored kids during summer break.Contacted local law enforcement who questioned the kids and retrieved the missing packages. Family moved 3 weeks later. According to the postal regulations,we're not allowed to deviate more than one half mile from our line of travel. If your home is more than a quarter mile from your mailbox, you get a notice. Sometimes , I'll make an exception, depending on the customer.

Yes, I always get signature confirmation it is for my protection not theirs, just like the insurance. Oddly, no one has ever fussed. Perhaps I have been lucky. The only irate shippee that I have ever had was the guy in Canada that I shipped an antique bayonet to with the full insurance value. It cost a bit in custom duties because of the declared value and he got angry about it. That's a shame but you can bet if that bayonet had gone missing he would have expected me to pay for it.

Good to know, and under those circumstances I can't see a reason I wouldn't give a full refund.

The false value declaration has always been a problem with international sales, but I have found many good members(international) here don't play that game.

Would you be happy with that result as a buyer? Genuine question...
I would not be happy, but I would not do what the buyer is alleged to have done. I check the tracking constantly. If it shows delivery and is not there, I am immediately on the phone to the USPS supervisor, or go into the PO when every thing is fresh. My PO has always been responsive. Timing is critical, and so is leaving a documented trail. Waiting til much later to check, is my error. Not taking these steps, when the package shows delivered, in my opinion, puts 1/2 the burden of loss on me, if not all.

It is also important to keep up to the minute commununication with the seller. This is simply smart practice.

Yes, I always get signature confirmation it is for my protection not theirs, just like the insurance. Oddly, no one has ever fussed.

+1 Signature confirmation for anything valued over $200 is my modus operandi, that & using only the USPS as my shipping courier. Still batting a 1000 with the USPS!

+1 Signature confirmation for anything valued over $200 is my modus operandi, that & using only the USPS as my shipping courier. Still batting a 1000 with the USPS!

I usually ship fedex ground because I like their tracking better, and if something goes wrong you can reroute in transit. So far so good. It is a bit pricier of course. I never use the winged monkeys at UPS. I have pictures of high insurance packages with boot prints on them. Also you would not believe the shredded boxes etc.

This is probably the strangest deal I have made on BF. I replied to the buyer's email on 6/16. I got a reply on the 22nd. I still don't know if he got the knife. Maybe I never will. It seems that lately, people can't bother to even send two words. "got it" would be nice. :rolleyes:

I am in Australia and have purchased several items from America, all knife related. Maybe i have been very lucky, but most of my purchases have been in my post box with in 8 days, it can take that long between Capital cities over here. As i said, with my small dealings with the USPS i think they are fantastic, i know mistakes will happen, but on the whole i am talking about. I also have no doubt it depends on the company you purchase from, most i have dealt with have been fantastic. But one well known knife company, was very ordinary with delivery and customer relations when queried about purchases. Just my thoughts, hope everyone has a great week-end.

This is probably the strangest deal I have made on BF. I replied to the buyer's email on 6/16. I got a reply on the 22nd. I still don't know if he got the knife. Maybe I never will. It seems that lately, people can't bother to even send two words. "got it" would be nice. :rolleyes:

I had someone like a month ago buy, told him tracking would be on PP, few days after it said it arrived he asked me if I shipped it yet, told him it said delivered and to let me know he got it cause was worried also didn't arrive, never heard back from him. No idea if he got it or not, but since he didn't respond I assume he did. Chalk it up to done deal. But ya it would be nice if they would confirm it arrived. But if they aren't concerned anymore, you shouldn't have to be either. Did your part.

? do you receive any negative responses for sending packages with a signature required, by buyers that find it a hassle.?
I use signature confirmation for anything over $100, and I've never gotten complaints about it. Probably overkill, but meh.

Ironically, the only USPS package I've sent that got lost was because of signature confirmation. Buyer wasn't home, USPS left a notice, customer requested redelivery, and... no one ever saw that package again.

I use signature confirmation for anything over $100, and I've never gotten complaints about it. Probably overkill, but meh.

Ironically, the only USPS package I've sent that got lost was because of signature confirmation. Buyer wasn't home, USPS left a notice, customer requested redelivery, and... no one ever saw that package again.
I had the same problem last year. Was told it was delivered and signed for, even showed me the time. Only problem was i was at home and no one knocked on my door with a delivery that i signed for. Never saw item again. So know i have all packages delivered to my post box at the local post office. Have not had that problem again. " TOUCH WOOD "

Guess I'm lucky in that respect, as I'm out and about the property at work all day long. I usually have things delivered to my work, so I see the mail man every day and he has them set aside for me. If he misses me, its delivered to the office and the ladies there hold onto them for me.

I had the same problem last year. Was told it was delivered and signed for, even showed me the time. Only problem was i was at home and no one knocked on my door with a delivery that i signed for. Never saw item again. So know i have all packages delivered to my post box at the local post office. Have not had that problem again. " TOUCH WOOD "
The first half of post: exactly what I experience.

BUT, he does leave the item (supposedly signed for) on the front porch. He also fakes the name of the person who supposedly signed, using the name of someone not home at the time.

Back