Delta 3V

Will the new knives be labled withbthe delta 3V symbol for the new heat treat ?
That would be cool

I think so too! I thought Ellie said Guy was looking into changing the symbol in some way to indicate it was the new HT.... I know CPK (Nathan the Machinist's company) uses the Delta symbol around the 3V which I think is cool

It was just a slip up on the sample knife. Guy gets pretty excited when blades arrive and the delta logo got overlooked. When he gets back we will try to get an updated photo for everyone.

From the GSO 4.1 thread back on June 19th of 2016, referring to the picture of a 4.1 with the regular PHT 3V logo.

Will the new knives be labled withbthe delta 3V symbol for the new heat treat ?
That would be cool

Yes, they will have a special engraving for the new delta 3V. It is setup in the computer, but Guy has been finishing GSO-4.7s with the occasional stack of GSO-2.7s. As soon as we have a finished 3V GSO-4.1 I will be sure to get a picture of it.

Yes, they will have a special engraving for the new delta 3V. It is setup in the computer, but Guy has been finishing GSO-4.7s with the occasional stack of GSO-2.7s. As soon as we have a finished 3V GSO-4.1 I will be sure to get a picture of it.

Great news! Is it the same as Nathan's D3V logo?

Is this HT only be used by Nathan and Guy or maybe Dan keffler? I see some knife makers saying that their 3v HT from peters are the ones that increases corrosion resistance and toughness, which sounds like the Delta 3v.

Is this HT only be used by Nathan and Guy or maybe Dan keffler? I see some knife makers saying that their 3v HT from peters are the ones that increases corrosion resistance and toughness, which sounds like the Delta 3v.

I can't say for sure, so hopefully someone else will know... but I know the heat treat was improved for the new spec 5.1's and 4.7's compared to the old spec models. After that came the delta. Maybe everyone who goes through Peters gets what the 4.7's will have?

Some 3V heat treatment processes are optimized for abrasion resistance (for draw cutting rope) and these tend to use high temperature (secondary hardening) tempering.
As I understand it (which is a big disclaimer) the Survive 2015 heat treatment process for 3V was a lower temperature tempering process that improved the toughness and corrosion resistance.
From comments made by Nathan in this Survive forum (under the Elite Heat Treatment thread) he developed a heat treatment process for use in his shop that further improved the performance
of 3V across the board (getting the very rare trifecta of improved wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and corrosion resistance). By working with Survive and Peter's Heat Treat they were able
to come up with a version of Nathan's improved 3V heat treatment process that could be implement on a production scale, and this process has been named the Delta 3V.
Survive has stated that starting with the GSO-4.1 model all of their knives will use this Delta 3V heat treatment process. Thus, the 2015 5.1 and 4.7 3V knives won't have it. The 2.7 doesn't come in 3V.
Since they have named the heat treat process and aren't disclosing anything about how it was achieved it sounds like none of Peter's other customers are going to get access to it.

I can't say for sure, so hopefully someone else will know... but I know the heat treat was improved for the new spec 5.1's and 4.7's compared to the old spec models. After that came the delta. Maybe everyone who goes through Peters gets what the 4.7's will have?
Silver, I don't know if the heat treat tweaks made for the 2015 model knives will be generally available for other Peter's customers.

I hope that they had the resources to patent this approach and copyright Delta-3V. This could give everyone a good market niche, one that could be quite substantial if the steel lives up to all of the apparent benefits once in full production.

You could try to register and defend the name Delta 3V, but how would you know if somebody else was using your heat treat process?
They've probably got an agreement with Peter's not to disclose the details of the process, but somebody else could have a very similar process without your knowledge.

It might be a difficult, or impossible, to prove infringement. If the reputation becomes such that Delta V means this process, and this process means Delta V, then you are the only one who can make the claim. Others could claim as good as, or almost Delta V, but once you have gotten to this point, you have won. I just don't know if it is worth the investments.

You couldn't prove infringment unless you had prior knowledge of the process .But you could always change it a little to avoid that. A knowledgeble metallurgist could work one out but I'm not talking !!

Great instagram update. Somewhere in Texas there is a man salivating........

The new delta logo is sweet. Can't wait to own a blade with it on it!

Back