Delta 3V

That etching for the heat treatment looks great, but more importantly that 7/7 is the exact same as the one I have on pre-order. Can't wait!!!

Which model does the new heat treatment start on in the production line? Will the 4.1's have the new HT and the Delta etching? Thanks:thumbup:

Has there been any real world corrosion comparison on the new heat treat anywhere yet?
I would really like to see how it compares to the old HT 3v and 20cv.

I'm pretty sure there's a picture on here somewhere (i think originally from instagram though) of one being left out over the winter. I haven't seen any updates recently on what they look like now though

Last one I could find, from February, comparing the HT protocol used on the 5.1s and other 2016 pre-D3V models (top) against the old HT and tumbled finish (middle) against a test-blade with the old HT but the new peen finish. Nothing on the D3V, but i don't imagine it to be much different form the top one...

12716451_183988618631933_733254354_n.jpg

Weird double post........................

BUT in my below post are we sure the top knife is delta? It's not marked and I couldn't remember for sure.

Amazing results, regardless :eek:

Last edited:
I noticed that as well Silver. Ask and you shall receive- Thanks Ellie the D3V is holding up really well.

Yes, thanks for the update! I don't think some true stainless steels would hold up that well. I do wonder though, what's the other side look like? Where moisture might stay trapped longer?

Wooooow i am highly impressed with its corrosion resistance, especially as it has been out for a whole year!

I could be wrong, but I think that test was done before "D3V". I'm pretty sure the knife in those pictures is the improved 3V recipe from before Delta 3V.

I could be wrong, but I think that test was done before "D3V". I'm pretty sure the knife in those pictures is the improved 3V recipe from before Delta 3V.

That's what I'm wondering!

This link shows a post from 52 weeks ago.
https://www.instagram.com/p/7Yp3CoJbp4/

Is the top knife d3v just before they came up with the delta name? Or is this the heat treat that new spec 5.1's and 4.7's have that actually is different to delta?

If this is pre-delta, then delta would be doing even better with corrosion, right?

Regardless, I'm impressed!

I dont know if there is much use in 20cv if the corrosion resistance is this good?
I cant see many, if any, stainless steels performing this well

That is the same heat treat for the GSO-5.1 and GSO-4.7, just before the delta 3V. There were just a few final details to sort out at that point.

We do handle the blades from time to time so they do get moved around. I am out of town this weekend but I will have Guy double check the underside just to be sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I really like (and yeah, I mention in my previous post that it is PRE-delta), is that you can see the darker gray of passivization on the low-temper 3V blade in lieu of active red rusting :thumbup: i would also be curious to see what the top blade looks like after being rinsed of any dirt, etc. because it looks like the passivization is still in the form of "freckles", i.e. the rust is still able to find pockets of nucleation but the new HT protocol prevents the progression seen on the other blades. When you scrub away the red rust from those lower blades, it should have BIG dark "freckles" beneath...

Here is what my GSO-10 looked like after cleaning those spots away:

7q56INkKO38xU_2P9mdPFjBhqAsW34_XaqFP9csaX62SolmWzhF905yiYSy6pi1rQ4piKH9mzMtDcg=w1920-h1200-no

THAT D*MN NUCLEATION!!!!!

I missed where you did say pre-delta. I looked and double checked, but should have gone back a third time :)

I dont know if there is much use in 20cv if the corrosion resistance is this good?
I cant see many, if any, stainless steels performing this well

Survive's current 3V corrosion resistance is good, but not nearly as good as a real "stainless" steel.

Back