Design a RAT Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.A.T.

Randall's Adventure & Training
Ok guys, this is the official "Design a RAT" thread. Discussion is LIMITED to design only. No chatter, bullshit or hijacking. Posts have to be sketches and/or pics since it is hard to envision what you want by simple text.

We will vote on best ideas from the thread and we will narrow the designs down. We will leave this thread up for a few months before we vote. Hopefully we will have a winner by the end of the year and we can introduce this new blade at SHOT show 2010 in Las Vegas. Knife will be in the ESEE line and have that logo. (Same logo as RC-5)

Posts have to be sketches and/or pics since it is hard to envision what you want by simple text. You can include descriptive text with your sketch/pic

Mods, please delete any discussion that clutters the thread. Thanks in advance ;)

Go for it, guys!

Picture039.jpg

Overall length: 9 1/2 in.
Blade: 4 1/4 in.
handle: 5 1/4 in.

Green micarta handles with texastony orange liners, phillips head handle screws, and jimping on the thumb rest.

Picture036.jpg

:D Nothing wrong with the RAT logo, but I got bored drawing this a while back and replaced it with a Richlands' "lighting R".

#3 last one,
Picture037.jpg

Also Jeff this is limited to fixed blades ONLY right?
No machetes, folders, axes, or sporks.

Here's one for you. :)

Attachments

• rat sketches.jpg
    rat sketches.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 263
the RTAK II was more stout than the RTAK, a RAT Golok would be the cat's arse in my opinion. Several similar versions are available from Martindale, but none are as good as the one a friend and former SERE instrutor has.

Ranger had a Mach-axe version 1, 2 3, and Siegle has a golok design that looks great, but a functional heavy duty chopper would be great. No need for a clip or drop point, just a great tool for campcraft and survival

something like this... my artist skills are limited

Attachments

• RAT Golok.JPG
    RAT Golok.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 241
This one is more of a nimble slicer than the other RATs. It might not be able to handle the heavy duty tasks that the bigger RATs can but a smart user can carve up any tool he needs in the field with it. This is more in line with the type of knife that Les Miles, Ray Mears, or Mors Kochanski would bring with them than the other RATs.
  • Scandi grind - great for cutting and easy to sharpen in the field
  • 3/32" blade saves weight and slices better than thicker blades
  • Skeletonized tang to save weight and put the balance forward of the fingers
  • Jimping on spine for greater control when making fine cuts
  • Finger grooves for greater control
  • Glass breaker is set below the midpoint giving a flatter surface on the butt for hammering
RatDesignContest-Flint.jpg

Last edited:
Deleted the post. No design content. - Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Deleted the post. No discussion allowed in this thread - Jeff

I think a variation on the Lainhart Jungle Machete, in 1095 with 3/16" stock, a better-designed handle and a choil would be awesome. 9.5" blade, micarta handles = sweet!

Attachments

• Ratchete.jpg
    Ratchete.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 229
DSCF0854.jpg

DSCF0851.jpg

full size drawing and 1/8" Thick ,full flat grind ,solid tang construction
more of a bushcraft style knife

It's obviously not my design, but I would LOVE for you guys to reintroduce the Laser Strike. It was one of my favorite knives of all time.
knives.jpg

Here is what I think you should do for the new RTAKIII. I had some of these made out of 5160 a while back - feel free to remove the hole from the hole from the hilt to avoid Busse infringement. Some don't like the thumb ramp, I do, but feel free to remove it as well - I would like to see orange G10 handle slabs.

Proposed grind is 5°, but the ones I am working on are 1/4" - I think a little thinner would be good, maybe .188" or .210". I think a small swedge along the top would be good too.

Overall length is 15-1/2"

RTAK3.jpg

Last edited:
rjk1.jpg

The Randall Jungle Knife 1 or RC 10, whatever you want to call it. Got bored at work and thought of what kind of knife I'd like to have in these environs. Thanks for the chance, guys. Proof as to why RC kicks ass.

Edit>> I didn't think to label the swedge. but that's what the dark shaded part is. Not a markout.

Last edited:
*****Edited By Shotgunner11 *****
Read the first post again, we need pics with your description.

Here is my submission from the other thread:

Revision 1.0 of the mckrob RC Scandi Bushcraft:

MCKROB_Scandi.jpg

This is based on the RC-4 blank, with a 1/2" extension to handle, 3/16" removed from the blade tangential to choil, ground almost to handle, triangular RAT lanyard hole. Handle in Orange or Yellow G10.

I think it would have to be 3/16" thick for the scandi grind, but maybe 1/8" would suffice.

I think this maintains the "spirit" of of the Rat Cutlery design, with the handle and spine profile unchanged.

What do you think ?

Well here is mine. The first rat folder. With probably one of the strongest locks on out there. Same dimensions as the RC3

Presentation1.jpg

Lock is on the RAO extreme ratio

This knife is indented to have a thumb disk as on your emerson knives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back