Design a RAT Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more and I think I'm done:

rcngf.jpg

Rat Cutlery Next Generation Folder or "NGF"

ETA: disregard the 3/16 to 1/8 measurement there...I don't know why I thought 3/16 was smaller than 1/8. Must've been high or something. Want the thickness about 1/16 or so.

Last edited:
Here's mine, a design I made awhile ago, and seems to nice to die. The specs are: 4 1/2" blade length, 1 3/8" blade width, 4 3/4" handle length, 3/16" stock. Hope you like it!

Obviously everyone needs to read the first post in this thread before posting. THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD

On the second knife that is supposed to be a bevel or unsharpened false edge.

Last edited:
I know my pics are shitty, but the idea of you asking for input i loved it so much i had to jot something down regardless.

It would just be too funny to me considering; if you made a machete like depicted below. The "RAT-18" :D its inspired from elsewhere you could make it a 5 1/4" handle and a true 18" blade but that wasn't subtle.
outx.png

I hope you like my ideas, maybe someone can clean it up with respectable sketches.

EDIT, I am so very sorry for getting the RAT logo completely WRONG.

Last edited:
I see this one as a heavy-duty chopper and combat blade. Any steel RAT goes with is fine (you guys don't use cr@p) but I think 1095 or D2 would be a good choice. The logo I created can be trashed in favor of RAT's (obviously).
Handle slabs are micarta with screws(naturally) and would be slightly swelled for better grip. The subhilt improves grip and the length of the handle with the exposed butt for hammering (about 6inches) allows one to grip behind the subhilt for more chopping ability. The subhilt is scalloped (for lack of a better term) on both sides to fit the pointer and middle finger equally well when gripped and the pinkie has a scallop as well. The two lanyard holes provide options for those who prefer lanyards in different positions or for anything else one may prefer.
Blade length is around 9inches, +/- .5inches and .25inches thick. The recurve can, and probably should be less dramatic than in the depiction. On the spine is a false edge, meant to increase its combat potential if so desired and to provide a secondary edge for other tasks. It stops short of the tip in order to preserve its strength. The thumb ramp has jimping and comes to point with jimping on the opposite side. This allows better control with finer work and the jimping nearest the tip allows a better thumb purchase for withdrawing the knife if it is stuck into an object or organism that should be excellently complemented by the subhilt.
My artwork is rather poor but the idea is there; I might try to do an improved drawing later on.

*Improved Drawing (but not perfect)

Last edited:
123.jpg

Seeing as it's part of the ESEE line I see this as a smaller companion. Blade length 4 inches bottle opener on the back of the blade (you never know!) wire cutter on the pointed pommel and the serrations on the front portion of the blade where they are more useful. The RAT RC-Survival.

Ratcliffe 3.5 - little brother to the 5.5 posted earlier
D2 would be nice, for a whittler and general camp knife, 3.5" cutting edge
Top edge tapered past tip (leave tip alone for strength) to aid penetration

ratcliffe3.jpg

and just for fun ;>}

izulablade.jpg

Last edited:
MoleRATdesign.jpg

An "entrenching" knife, or trowel knife. :)

edit to add: please look at the knife as if looking at it in a mirror. The plain edge side should have the flat of the blade towards the body while using it. This would also better employ the serrations when being used as a trowel. :eek:

Last edited:
This first one is what I envision to be an ideal survival and combat knife. I drew this up almost two years ago, and when I saw that new Rambo movie, I yelled "They stole my knife!"
Here are the specs...
Blade: 11-3/4" long with an 11-1/4" cutting edge. 1/4" thick 1095 carbon steel. Full flat grind. 2-7/8" wide at its widest point. I also made a fire steel notch in mine at the spine, but that can be omitted.
Handle: 6" long, including the exposed butt. Linen micarta handles, secured by Phillips screws. Lanyard oval in the butt.

With an RC-4 for size comparison...
002-13.jpg

003-16.jpg

In-hand...
008-12.jpg

007-14.jpg

I made a crappy sheath to go with it...
001-14.jpg

The second one is an ideal (for me) every-day fixed blade. Specs...
Blade: 3-1/4" long (3" cutting edge). 1/8" thick. 1095 carbon steel, full flat grind. Clip point. Thumb jimping for 1-1/2" of the spine.
Handle: 3-3/4" long, including the exposed butt. Linen micarta scales, secured by Phillips screws. Skeletonized inside. Lanyard hole in the butt. The handle tapers thinner toward the blade and thicker toward the butt.

With an Izula for size comparison...
011-11.jpg

Sheath options...
004-15.jpg

"Leather" bushcraft-style sheath...
009-12.jpg

"Kydex" sheath...
010-13.jpg

In hand...
014-7.jpg

Sorry about the tiny image- if you click, it'll get bigger. (Too stupid to post images correctly, still)

rat dagger.jpg

How about a dagger?

Why mess with a good thing. The RC-5 is close to a Leuku design, just need to stretch a little. Basically, an RC-7. Proven blade geometry, Minimal CNC design work, a little more heft for chopping and 2" more length for battoning.

The glass breaker and divot could go away in my opinion, but too hard to modify that in the pic...

Also, JNieporte's design is EXACTLY, EXACTLY, EXACTLY what I was trying for with my golok post on page one. Please disregard my previous golok post as JNieporte has captured the exact image I was thinking in my head. I'll take 3 sight-unseen.

Attachments

• RC-7.jpg
    RC-7.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 288
here is one I think would be great, clip on pic for larger image

Last edited:
Here is mine:
I called it the WK1 (Woods Knife 1) for lack of a better name.
The basic concept is having an allround-use knife both for outdoor and indoor use, that is slightly larger than the RC-4 and thus more useful for chopping. But thanks to the blade shape it can still handle finer jobs without problems.
It' s got a 5.7" leaf shaped blade, full flat grind, micarta handle, 10.5" overall, 0.2" blade thickness.
I also cut it out in cardboard so you can see how it looks in hand.

First a picture of the overall design:

Here is a picture of the cardboard model:

And another one gripping it a bit lower:

And in comparison with the RC-4:

EDIT:
Here is a picture of the knife with a different handle design on it. I personally prefer the other design, but just if you' re interested, here it is:

Last edited:
Here is a variant on the clip design, click on thumbnail to enlarge. 3/16 steel, strong tip tapering in last 1" of blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back