Design input needed on a 4.5" fixed blade *completed*

Hi, Josh...glad to see this thing coming around...
It's not for me, but it's your baby, and you've been around the horn and know first-hand what most folks want in your fixed blade for heavy duty... My best advice is to use your own head; folks will buy it.
I'll be interested when you come up with a smaller fixed blade that I can carry cross-draw...
  • no swedge
  • only make a small sharpening choil
  • no bow drill recess
  • the thumb ramp looks aggressive, but you're the master, so you know what's good.
  • ferro rod placement ...forget it.
  • Size ok? NO... Josh, I am a big fan of fixed blades, but I like 'em about 3.25-3.5"...
  • the grip is MUCH too long for my large hands, even if wearing a glove...a grip about 4.4" bare-handed is about max for me, and even the model 21 large Sebenza is a bit too long in the grip for my large hands... Of course, I've asked CRK for years for a medium Sebbie, to no avail. cheers, Don
  • IMO the blade is quite a bit too "high." I know it's meant for beating but this particular blade "height" seems to be larger than could ever be of use...even under abusive means.
  • Your blade thickness is "up there" and speaks to your intended use; it's your design, so go for it...
  • I do vote for a thin BTE measurement, but you know all about that better than I do...I prefer about 0.010" BTE.

I'm digging the long handle on this. Looks like all kinds of space for different grips and uses.

Ok I think we're pretty much there, other than the finger choil decision! I eliminated the front tang pocket and thickened up the outer rim of the pockets to 1/4" thick (vs 3/16"), moved the lanyard hole to the center, made the texture dimples more shallow in the scales, and thickened up the scales a little bit.

i-dHD8zNq-1903x1070.jpg
i-3fpTmBb-1903x1070.jpg
i-Xsv58sH-1903x1070.jpg
i-wfcSV7S-1903x1070.jpg
i-z3nmfCF-1903x1070.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to go against the grain here for most opinions, some may agree

Blade I don't think is heavy or long enough to make it efficient at chopping so I vote to lighten it up by reducing the height of the blade. Maybe just remove the thumb ramp all together. I find I don't like thumb ramps as it forces you to place you thumb at two locations only and limits other placements.

I say almost FFG. Maybe 1/8" from the spine.

No jimping. They always create hot spots for me. I prefer a lightly radius on the spine

No sharpening choil. I believe if you need a large one to choke up on then the blade is just to far from the handle. On some of mine I bring the blade right up to the finger choil and round it off right at the plunge line

Handle seems good. Make sure to smooth out any ridges at the top of the butt

I would like it in 3v since it is supposed to be a bushcraft / hard use knife and toughness is key. Otherwise maybe 4v or even PD-1

Ok guys final renders and CAD is done. I'm trying to gauge interest, so please check this thread out for those pics and to speak up if you are interested. Thanks for everyone's help on this!!

I went with the standard grind; though I was tempted by the slicer... it's not a knife I plan to baton with; but figured the standard was a safer option - just in case. Looking forward to this one; and the new name is :thumbsup:

BTW, REK Knives REK Knives
The link in your last post just goes to your forum, not to a specific thread or post.

Thanks so much guys! They went out for sheaths the other day... Then will head to the laser shop. That's really gonna bring it all together. Can't wait til the final product!

Back