Designated Political Arena constructive criticism & suggestions for improvements thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
my in-person treatment of my opponents in the real world

Depending on how far you go with it, it could either be in accordance with or violation of your sig. Be wise, and prudent and act with love.

I taught my children to show respect to persons in authority. It must always be “President Obama”, “Vice-President Pence”, “Speaker Pelosi” or “President Trump”, regardless of how we feel about their political stance.

Insulting pet names for those in power derived from race, gender or faith slurs are filthy and witless. It is never funny.

Political debate must always stay civil and respectful to each other and the objects of the debate. When it doesn’t it devolves into an incoherent snarl.

We’ve all been through a shit year with more to come. Let’s all double down on an effort to be a little nicer to each other.

Tim

Since I have given "likes" to what appears to be opposing views on this matter, I would like to explain myself since I try to act like an adult and show respect for other people's opinions, even when I may not totally agree with it.

I 100% agree with your position and some adults, especially the older generations, have this capacity although there are becoming an alarming number of children trapped in adult bodies as we've witnessed over the past decade. Having said this, I can see the points from both sides of the spectrum to some extent, at least from the adults on both sides. Unfortunately, society has become petty as a whole and too many people are no longer willing to treat others with respect, especially once it is no longer reciprocated. It seems as though one cannot take the high ground these days without being tripled down on and becoming a target of mob mentality.

I am not referring to those on this forum since I would like to believe most if not all of us can conduct ourselves with respect for each other, even if we may have differing views since we all have a common interest in knives. Society as a whole though, I'm not nearly as confident.

I seldom discuss my beliefs since I am likely to become a target regardless of my position and I wouldn't have a moments hesitation to defend myself in the event of a physical confrontation, potentially to my own detriment. Sadly, technology has given everyone a voice and it is alarming to see how many petty, hateful and angry people from all walks of life there are since they are now wearing it like a badge of honor. I always try to keep a positive outlook but I believe that we've come to a point where civility is no longer an option for many people in society. Many were born without the "do unto others" gene, have become victims of groupthink, or simply have become exhausted by the non-stop attacks and no longer try to remain civil. Tough days ahead indeed.

Since I have given "likes" to what appears to be opposing views on this matter, I would like to explain myself since I try to act like an adult and show respect for other people's opinions, even when I may not totally agree with it.

I 100% agree with your position and some adults, especially the older generations, have this capacity although there are becoming an alarming number of children trapped in adult bodies as we've witnessed over the past decade. Having said this, I can see the points from both sides of the spectrum to some extent, at least from the adults on both sides. Unfortunately, society has become petty as a whole and too many people are no longer willing to treat others with respect, especially once it is no longer reciprocated. It seems as though one cannot take the high ground these days without being tripled down on and becoming a target of mob mentality.

I am not referring to those on this forum since I would like to believe most if not all of us can conduct ourselves with respect for each other, even if we may have differing views since we all have a common interest in knives. Society as a whole though, I'm not nearly as confident.

I seldom discuss my beliefs since I am likely to become a target regardless of my position and I wouldn't have a moments hesitation to defend myself in the event of a physical confrontation, potentially to my own detriment. Sadly, technology has given everyone a voice and it is alarming to see how many petty, hateful and angry people from all walks of life there are since they are now wearing it like a badge of honor. I always try to keep a positive outlook but I believe that we've come to a point where civility is no longer an option for many people in society. Many were born without the "do unto others" gene, have become victims of groupthink, or simply have become exhausted by the non-stop attacks and no longer try to remain civil. Tough days ahead indeed.
Very well said... unfortunately, for some, the best lessons involve personal pain and they can't understand it unless they feel it themselves... It's the last resort, but it is still an option (even if the poorest one).

ON EDIT: Nice guitar by the way... what year?

Last edited:
I was recently told you and I somehow share some resemblance. I said I was flattered and I wasn't kidding.
Just read through this thread’s comments. It would be interesting to see the people crying the loudest actually substantiate their comments. I noticed that when Spark called Willie71 out on his accusation, Willie71 couldn’t deliver. I think if these complaints were looked into, you would see what HJK pointed out - a story with two sides, only one of which the people complaining related.

Yes, the PA can get heated. That is because the topic gets heated because of how it impacts people’s lives. We are merciless to our politicians because they do harm - it is as simple as that. I couldn’t help but notice that the people crying about what we called Harris, or Biden, or Obama left out all the things they called Trump....pretty convenient “oversight”. Having said that, absolutely the higher road is best; and we will adhere to Spark’s direction.

The one thing I brought up is the unfair accusation against our mods. That was patently false - our mods are great people who do a good job at a very difficult task; more importantly, they strike a balance between keeping the peace and not making the forum a stultifying place where real discussion cannot take place. Politics has a unique nature - as Spark said in the sticky at the top of the PA, “Grow a thicker skin!”

If I may speak to the alleged “bias”....I see people getting “dog piled” not for their ideology, but for refusing to follow the guidelines about supporting their positions with a good argument.

It is becoming increasingly apparent that we need to file a class action lawsuit against the education system. 50 years ago, when my 3 grade home room teacher told us that “sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you” it was a grave bit of misinformation. We can now all see the consequences of that bold face lie. We should band together and demand restitution.

n2s

Just read through this thread’s comments. It would be interesting to see the people crying the loudest actually substantiate their comments. I noticed that when Spark called Willie71 out on his accusation, Willie71 couldn’t deliver. I think if these complaints were looked into, you would see what HJK pointed out - a story with two sides, only one of which the people complaining related.

Yes, the PA can get heated. That is because the topic gets heated because of how it impacts people’s lives. We are merciless to our politicians because they do harm - it is as simple as that. I couldn’t help but notice that the people crying about what we called Harris, or Biden, or Obama left out all the things they called Trump....pretty convenient “oversight”. Having said that, absolutely the higher road is best; and we will adhere to Spark’s direction.

The one thing I brought up is the unfair accusation against our mods. That was patently false - our mods are great people who do a good job at a very difficult task; more importantly, they strike a balance between keeping the peace and not making the forum a stultifying place where real discussion cannot take place. Politics has a unique nature - as Spark said in the sticky at the top of the PA, “Grow a thicker skin!”

If I may speak to the alleged “bias”....I see people getting “dog piled” not for their ideology, but for refusing to follow the guidelines about supporting their positions with a good argument.

Maybe you missed the part where the offending links are now all dead? How can anyone prove this either way at this point? Considering there is concern that all of bladeforums could be shut down due to a few radicalized individuals supporting insurrection, there might be more to things than you will admit.

It would be super duper cool if we could all take a step back a bit and let the new changes soak in a bit.

PA posts are no longer on the new post feed, and Kevin has made it clear on what the PA participant’s conduct parameters are.

The world is a little crazy and people are stressed. United we stand divided we fall and all that jazz.

EDIT-
It now appears that I was quoted and responded to by mistake. I'm not sure how my wall of text was erroneously quoted but OK. I am removing the name of the person to which I have addressed this response. I am however going to leave my post since it does serve as an example of some of the points I have mentioned in my previous post, #226.

Pretty presumptuous of you to take my statement personally as well as assuming you know which side of the aisle I fall on.
You may have missed the part where I said I can see both sides of the spectrum to some extent, at least from the adults? If you took this as me calling you out, you made a mistake.

I understand your position about getting the forums shut down and I don't disagree with that in any way.
You are making it sound as if I am your enemy for having the opinion I have, even though you are making a whole lot of assumptions at the moment. You don't have any knowledge about me or my beliefs yet you have already concluded that we are enemies. Perhaps this is exactly what I meant when I made the statement about "children trapped in adult bodies"?

While I admit that I have no idea what links you are referring to, my statement that you quoted above calls nobody out, including you. Since my point has clearly been misunderstood, let me break it down for you. I try to remain respectful regardless of your views, not that I have any friggin clue what your views are, and that I sincerely hope that society doesn't implode due to the inability for people to conduct themselves as adults.

If you have a problem with what I wrote, i'm truly sorry you feel that way but that's on you sir.

Last edited:
Maybe you missed the part where the offending links are now all dead? How can anyone prove this either way at this point?
Oh, I saw it.....you think maybe you should have checked that before you opened your mouth and shoved your foot into it?

Considering there is concern that all of bladeforums could be shut down due to a few radicalized individuals supporting insurrection, there might be more to things than you will admit.
1) That very real concern is a result of pure, unadulterated fascism, not anyone “supporting insurrection”, whatever the hell that even means. Spark handled it straight away. People understand it and are complying.
2) That is a different matter from people crying over feelings hurt by the PA and alleged “bias”.

There are “more things”, only I have no problem “admitting” them. You guys have wanted control for years. You weren’t successful. So you sat and seethed until recent events gave you something to harness, which you did. And you got what you wanted. So you’re done now, right?

Oh, I saw it.....you think maybe you should have checked that before you opened your mouth and shoved your foot into it?

1) That very real concern is a result of pure, unadulterated fascism, not anyone “supporting insurrection”, whatever the hell that even means. Spark handled it straight away. People understand it and are complying.
2) That is a different matter from people crying over feelings hurt by the PA and alleged “bias”.

There are “more things”, only I have no problem “admitting” them. You guys have wanted control for years. You weren’t successful. So you sat and seethed until recent events gave you something to harness, which you did. And you got what you wanted. So you’re done now, right?

I had nothing to do with extremists making things look bad.

Supporting insurrection is saying there should be an armed or otherwise forced overthrowing of the election outside of the normal checks and balances. You know, overthrowing the elected government?

Look at the title of this thread. It asked for suggestions, no?

Willie71 Willie71 ,

Pretty presumptuous of you to take my statement personally as well as assuming you know which side of the aisle I fall on.
You may have missed the part where I said I can see both sides of the spectrum to some extent, at least from the adults? If you took this as me calling you out, you made a mistake.

I understand your position about getting the forums shut down and I don't disagree with that in any way.
You are making it sound as if I am your enemy for having the opinion I have, even though you are making a whole lot of assumptions at the moment. You don't have any knowledge about me or my beliefs yet you have already concluded that we are enemies. Perhaps this is exactly what I meant when I made the statement about "children trapped in adult bodies"?

While I admit that I have no idea what links you are referring to, my statement that you quoted above calls nobody out, including you. Since my point has clearly been misunderstood, let me break it down for you. I try to remain respectful regardless of your views, not that I have any friggin clue what your views are, and that I sincerely hope that society doesn't implode due to the inability for people to conduct themselves as adults.

If you have a problem with what I wrote, i'm truly sorry you feel that way but that's on you sir.

I responded to the wrong post and blanked it immediately. My apologies. I thought I caught it soon enough that I didn’t message you to explain.

Supporting insurrection is saying there should be an armed or otherwise forced overthrowing of the election outside of the normal checks and balances. You know, overthrowing the elected government?
When that actually occurs, you be sure to let us know.

Look at the title of this thread. It asked for suggestions, no?
It did. Mine is the same as MolokaiRider’s. You got what you wanted. So drop it.

It would be super duper cool if we could all take a step back a bit and let the new changes soak in a bit.

PA posts are no longer on the new post feed, and Kevin has made it clear on what the PA participant’s conduct parameters are.

The world is a little crazy and people are stressed. United we stand divided we fall and all that jazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back