Designing a folding knife for Spyderco

I really like the name Astrid.

I see this going over well with the SD crowd as well. It looks like with the forward rake of that blade shape its would have more cutting power than the Yojimbo while being comfortable and angled great for reverse grip edge in stuff. If the CBB lock is good enough for the Spyderco P'kal (wonderful knife) it's good enough for me.

I really hope this happens. I'd pre-order one without a second though. I'd probably end up waving it with a dremel.

Last edited:
Another change I'd consider would be to smooth out that ridge just before the spyderhole (in the open position) as it seems like it could possibly get in the way of your thumb in the saber grip, or poke the webbing of your hand in the Filipino. Just a thought.

Another change I'd consider would be to smooth out that ridge just before the spyderhole (in the open position) as it seems like it could possibly get in the way of your thumb in the saber grip, or poke the webbing of your hand in the Filipino. Just a thought.

Absolutely. The more I look at the picture, the more I feel that the ridge should come a bit forward actually. I plan to make some physical mockups of this as I go along in cardboard, and when I get close to something I really like, wood. I am also considering the possibility of making a fixed blade version as well to try out its functionality. That would be a bit down the road.

Absolutely. The more I look at the picture, the more I feel that the ridge should come a bit forward actually. I plan to make some physical mockups of this as I go along in cardboard, and when I get close to something I really like, wood. I am also considering the possibility of making a fixed blade version as well to try out its functionality. That would be a bit down the road.
in experience I have found the Emerson wave feature to make for a very ergonomic thumb ramp. It really lets you push into the blade and throw some powerful snapping cuts, as well as very accurate thrusts. It really makes you feel in control of the edge and tip. I understand that the wave feature would 100% turn away the majority of potential buyers, so I am not suggesting you consider a wave. I am simply sharing some ergonomic insight. Perhaps the ridge in question would work better further up the spine, and more gradual. Possibly rounded? Just some considerations.

Okay, please nobody think this is official Spyderco Ad copy, but it's just a little something to see if we can drum up some interest:

in experience I have found the Emerson wave feature to make for a very ergonomic thumb ramp. It really lets you push into the blade and throw some powerful snapping cuts, as well as very accurate thrusts. It really makes you feel in control of the edge and tip. I understand that the wave feature would 100% turn away the majority of potential buyers, so I am not suggesting you consider a wave. I am simply sharing some ergonomic insight. Perhaps the ridge in question would work better further up the spine, and more gradual. Possibly rounded? Just some considerations.

You had me at hello.

But seriously, I wouldn't want Spyderco to wave it. We all know "that guy" who has to put zip ties on all his knives, though (I used to be that guy!), and with this knife he won't have to. He can put his own wave feature in with a dremel, without wrecking the strength of his blade. How's that for a compromise?

PICS REMOVED per Sal's suggestion:
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87150#p1437057

Last edited:
That looks great!

I think you're getting some really good feedback and suggestions. You're incorporating them very well without diluting what I expect is an image that is getting clearer and clearer in your mind. That's very good location on the lanyard tube, too. I personally don't use them, but W.Anderson did make a good point about the people that do. I really like the jimping for the thumb ramp and how it stops right where the flat grind ends - very nice. The change you made to the blade tang in the closed position looks really good, too.

The design is everything you said in that picture just above - a folder with aggressive cutting power.

I would give some thought to a sharpening choil. I know it would slightly detract from the usable blade length, and that most here find them unnecessary, but I have noticed that many non-enthusiasts looking for a premium cutting tool like sharpening choils for "easier sharpening" not that I've really found them useful. Just some food for thought.

Sharpening choils.... I'm ambivalent. But Spyderco is known to eschew them and they are still number 1 so if someone really wants one, it's not hard to add, especially if this gets LC200N, which I hope it will. I want the two on the right.

PICS REMOVED per Sal's suggestion:
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87150#p1437057

Last edited:
That looks great!

Thank you so much!

I really like the jimping for the thumb ramp and how it stops right where the flat grind ends - very nice.

Believe it or not, I didn't actually draw any jimping yet. I think that was just an artifact from how I altered and rotated the image. That being said, yes, what you describe is exactly how I would want the jimping.

And I realized after I posted that pic that Spyderco has indeed done a full length cutting edge with a CBBL before, so the Astrid wouldn't be the first. :oops:

Believe it or not, I didn't actually draw any jimping yet. I think that was just an artifact from how I altered and rotated the image. That being said, yes, what you describe is exactly how I would want the jimping.

And I realized after I posted that pic that Spyderco has indeed done a full length cutting edge with a CBBL before, so the Astrid wouldn't be the first.

That artifact came out looking like perfect jimping!

I think this design is getting better and better. I could see progressively testing the waters with cardboard, wood, and a fixed blade of similar size to work out any possible ergonomic problems or find any design flaws that would only become apparent after extended use. A fixed blade might be a good way to have a marketable product as well as solicit more widespread feedback (I'm sure that statement makes it painfully obvious that I do not make knives or run a business.).

I am being nit-picky, but those hard angles at the hilt and pommel could be smoothed out for better ergonomics without taking from the aesthetic.

I am being nit-picky, but those hard angles at the hilt and pommel could be smoothed out for better ergonomics without taking from the aesthetic.

Look at you go! :D

You're 100% right, of course.

It kind of has the profile of a Moro Keris, especially around the "guard" area. You really have something here. I briefly wondered how it would work with a slight hawksbill, but came to the conclusion that the straight edge is superior, based on my experience. This has a similar blade profile to the Suarez Grab N Stab fixed blade, which in my experience is an awesome all around slicer, cutter, slasher and stabber in every grip. Well done. I find the wharnecliffe to be the most versitile blade shape, at any size. You have a gem here.

Thanks for the exceedingly generous appraisal!

If you think of anything at all, don't hesistate to suggest it. And I guess this thread has revealed to me once and for all that my favourite Spyderco lock is the CBBL.

EDIT: Project placed on indefinite hold.

Back