Devastating loss....!!!

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My email become corrupted and I have lost everything back to 2008.

I am completely devastated.

I have spent the good part of my evening Saturday and day today slowly rebuilding my computer and restoring my data.

My email is not recoverable. :(

My order lists are still here as are most of my documents, pictures, etc.

I can't really come up with a good explanation for why or how....all I know is that right now I am staring at a blank computer.

Please be patient with me as I recover from this.

I am at a loss what to do.

Dan

I'm sorry to hear this, Dan. I'm not computer savvy at all, can't you just log into your email from another computer?

Hope you can recover everything you lost.

I hope you didnt lose that email that said you were going to send me a knife for free??

I think you remember that one right

Good luck in recovering your data, I know that sucks

Your e-mail should be recoverable from your provider, at least if you ask them soon. E-mail comes into your provider's server and is then routed to your computer via your e-mail program, so as long as your provider is backing up their e-mail servers you should be able to get them to recover at least some of your e-mail. Regardless, I'm sorry to hear about the loss, and I hope you can get things back on track.

ETA: Your provider should have a web-based e-mail program that you can log into, and your e-mail should be there as well.

I don't use my ISP's email account - I use my own (kosterknives.com)

:(

I can't believe I have lost 2 years of emails. I am numb with shock.

Dan

How do you access your email? Through a program like Outlook or Apple Mail?
If so, you are most likely using either IMAP or POP. You can check which you are using by looking at your settings. Often IMAP will show the incoming mail server as imap.yourserver.com whereas POP would be pop.yourserver.com.

If you were using IMAP, you're in luck - your emails (or at least a good portion of them) should still be on the server.

Been there done that! I feel for ya Dan. About all you can do is what you are doing here, announce it to try to let anyone with standing orders know and regather the information you need to carry on. After my loss like this was when I switched to Gmail so when my hard drive dies or something else happens I can still access my emails from any computer. If you want to allow pop3 to all email you can save those in gmail by downloading them also so to me that was the way to go since about every three to five years on average I have a computer go down. Got tired of dealing with lost data and emails with Outlook. Still have that too but now I'm saving what is in there as well by exporting the emails to another file I can save to disc. Well, my computer guy does that for me from time to time. ;) I'm too illiterate for much more than typing.

STR

A corrupted mail database does not always imply that all has been gone. What kind of email client did you use? Do you still have a backup of your computer maps, even in "corrupted" state?

-Emile

I don't use my ISP's email account - I use my own (kosterknives.com)

:(

I can't believe I have lost 2 years of emails. I am numb with shock.

Dan

Unless you're running your own mail server, whomever you have a hosting / email package with should be able to get something back.

Dan, stop, don't do anything on that HD and contact a friend or a student really expert on HD recovery.
You may have a surprise.

Sorry, guys....I've been down this road before about 3-4 years ago. You'd like I would have learned my lesson....nope.

I am using POP mail. All email exists here on my PC (or did, at least). 99.99% of the time it's a blessing - having my email with me offline/mobile/etc. Friday was that 0.01% where it sucked eggs bigtime.

I usually have things backed up but when I went back to restore it, I couldn't. Like I said, it's all gone. I've built my own computers for years (since '96) and the last 2 I went with were namebrand (Dell) so that I wouldn't have to go through this again. Like I said, it's been great - least amount of problems I've had for years. But my user profile got corrupted here on my laptop (shop computer) and it went downhill from there.

I'm still kinda weirded out by the whole thing. I keep remembering things I needed to email back to people...and then remembering I don't have that email anymore.

My spirits are up today...don't worry about me...I'm doing ok. I don't really have time to truly freak out about it.

But I will say that the pain compares to what it's like to break up with a girlfriend after a couple years' relationship...!!!

Dazed and confused....realizing the future is going to be different, etc.

Knifemaking isn't my only gig....I also design custom homes, teach college and am a Scoutmaster. Plus family emails, etc.

Just pick up the pieces and go on, ya know...

I've spent nearly the entire weekend on this - first trying desparately to recover my email, then finally relenting (even after talking to Dell about it) and rebuilding my laptop.

There's a silver lining here, though - at least my computer is fresh and like-new now...runs better.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support guys.

To answer the question about orders - yes, it would help to email me again your details, etc. I have all the order info, but don't have addresses, as those were things I kept in my email.

Time to look into an off-site record keeping service for orders/info/etc.

Dan

Just use IMAP instead of POP. Saves a lot of hassle and keeps the records on the server.

Best of luck.

Now that I've moved my servers to GoDaddy - I can probably do that. The service I had before only allowed 100MB of email storage. GoDaddy has 1GB - which I would definitely use. I get a ton of email - and I'm not talking about spam...!

For every person that contact me on this forum or posts, etc. I get 10 other emails from lurkers/phone-in orders/people from other forums and so on. It's crazy.

Dan

Now that I've moved my servers to GoDaddy - I can probably do that. The service I had before only allowed 100MB of email storage. GoDaddy has 1GB - which I would definitely use. I get a ton of email - and I'm not talking about spam...!

For every person that contact me on this forum or posts, etc. I get 10 other emails from lurkers/phone-in orders/people from other forums and so on. It's crazy.

Dan

Eh. I wouldn't use NoDaddy. But if it works for you and you don't have any issues then go for it.

Another option is to create a GMail account and forward a copy of every incoming message to it. Then also BCC that gmail account when you send mail. It's like RAID 1 for your email.

Thanks for the cheer-me-up, guys. It's appreciated.

The worst part is that my paid-for tech support had just expired...!

"RAID-1 for email" - I like that. :D

Yes, same email address. Just a much more empty (lonely) inbox now...!

Dan

Back