Did anybody already receive his 5.1 3V presale?

*Breathless voice*
It came. My first Survive! Knife. Going to go play. I'll post my first impressions later. But my unboxing impression: I'm surprised and thrilled. This is probably the finest knife I've ever held. The wait was worth it. I am so glad I ordered a 4.1, a 6 and a 7/7.

Guy, Ellie... I am impressed. Thank you so much for not compromising!

*Breathless voice*
It came. My first Survive! Knife. Going to go play. I'll post my first impressions later. But my unboxing impression: I'm surprised and thrilled. This is probably the finest knife I've ever held. The wait was worth it. I am so glad I ordered a 4.1, a 6 and a 7/7.

Guy, Ellie... I am impressed. Thank you so much for not compromising!

Oh man I know that feeling, nothing quite like it! Enjoy it!

I got my shipping notice last week, and my pre-sale GSO-5.1 arrived on Friday. I'm stunned at the quality. I thought to myself that if the 5.1 were to be upgraded, it would take more than a simple thickening or lengthening of the handle, it would take real thought and intelligent shaping. As soon as I unsheathed the knife, I knew I was holding exactly that. This is beyond a job well done. This is damned fine engineering.

A few weeks ago i received my currently best fix blade and did my very best to leave some marks and add some scars :cool:

Definately a great allround knive. Just wondering, if the new finish suits the intended use. Compared to my Fallkniven A1 and a custom made by Heiko Häß it seems a bit sensitive. As this is my 1st S!K i cannot compare to the former (stonewash?) finish. Maybe there are members with both, old and new style who can compare the finish.

But that's a minor point as this is definately a user. The 5.1 is a much better slicer than the A1 and is a great balanced edge holder.

Very satisfied! Keep up the great work S!K.
Btw. - any news about the folder release? :)

A few weeks ago i received my currently best fix blade and did my very best to leave some marks and add some scars :cool:

Definately a great allround knive. Just wondering, if the new finish suits the intended use. Compared to my Fallkniven A1 and a custom made by Heiko Häß it seems a bit sensitive. As this is my 1st S!K i cannot compare to the former (stonewash?) finish. Maybe there are members with both, old and new style who can compare the finish.

But that's a minor point as this is definately a user. The 5.1 is a much better slicer than the A1 and is a great balanced edge holder.

Very satisfied! Keep up the great work S!K.
Btw. - any news about the folder release? :)

Sorry to chime in here but what do you mean it feels sensitive?

I think that the finish is great.

The blasted finish resists "kydex scratches" far better than a satin or stonewashed finish, I believe because only the outermost surface of the texture is pressed against the sheath or the silica and sand and whatever else gets trapped in there that normally scratches blades up.

DDT993

I had noticed some scuffing and apparent wearing on the coating after a few sessions of use. I think it turned out just to be scuffs. I was able to clear it up by washing the blade with a toothbrush and some dish soap, and then applying a thin coating of oil. I let the oil sit for an hour or so and then wiped it off. The grey scuff marks were gone. At least for me.

Not sure if this will help for you.

I am starting to see some (very) tiny scratches (they barely catch the light) but it's after a couple of weeks of decent use. Keep us posted on what you see as you use it more!

Xtian, no problem. My first impressions compared to my other fixed blades is, that the perfectly smooth finish of the 5.1 is more sensitive in accepting marks than for example my A1 or Heiko Häß. As Matthew mentions it could be more resistant when using a kydex sheath. I cannot judge as the other knives have leather or Spec-ops sheaths.

Ifellonscissors, i cleaned the knive with warm water and some soap (but didn't used a brush). After cleaning it up i dissembled the scales, oiled it up with Balistol and wrapped it in a cloth for 24hrs. After that i mounted the scales and wiped of the excess oil. The scuffing was still there. Also some fine scratches, maybe from batoning wood with some fine stone inclusions. But i'll give the brush a chance and i'll use a different soap. Thank's for advice. I'll keep you posted.

Nevertheless i believe the 5.1 being my best horse in the barn. And - as it's a user, it should get some scars. Maybe i should open a thread "Show me your S!Kars". :)

Last edited:
Ordered a factory second GSO 5.1 last Monday and it still hasnt shipped. How long do the knives typically take to ship out?

Maybe i should open a thread "Show me your S!Kars". :)

That'd be a cool thread!

Ordered a factory second GSO 5.1 last Monday and it still hasnt shipped. How long do the knives typically take to ship out?

It's supposed to ship within 5 business days, but i know it took a while to get my necker II order shipped. But, on a positive note, they said they would start including extras for those orders that didn't meet the shipping time.

Just picked up a new model GSO 5.1.. I have the older one as well as some other gso knifes.. All I have to say is while my older GSO 5.1 is great.. this newer GSO fit and finish is just on an OCD level of perfection I have not seen before.. I swear even the final Tip grind facet is flawless to the naked eye no matter how close you look.. And that's the overall impression... the fit and finish is absolutely unequivocally flawless to the naked eye.. from coating, to tip, to scales being flush to blade. It looks like everything is done to beyond 1mill tolerance which is astounding..

Back