Did/Do you carry in the military? Story time... ;)

...Eventually I learned by that in the field that tools essentially become communal property...

Yep.

I had an all stainless G96 folder that I took great pride in. Especially when I put an amazing edge on it. That was most of the time.

I remember some E4 from Commo came by the Aid Station looking for a knife. Of course, like a fool, I loaned him mine. When I got it back, the edge was pretty much nonexistent. More like a crosscut saw. I have no clue what he did with it.

I'm really confused, what does this even mean?
People here are fond of quoting the clique about "if you need to use a knife/bayonet, things have gone terribly wrong" like it means you are the one that has screwed up and that it shouldn't have happened. Combat is where Murphy's laws were written. Things will always go terribly wrong, you just need to be able deal with it when the time comes.

Of course, like a fool, I loaned him mine. When I got it back, the edge was pretty much nonexistent. More like a crosscut saw. I have no clue what he did with it.

Yeah, but I'm sure you learned from the first time... I was foolish enough to keep loaning them. It took a guy literally throwing my brand new Busse at a fallen tree, missing, and the tip hitting a stone before I stopped. Now I have a light, cheapish, folder that I lend in the field. My fixed blade stays with me. Lol

My biggest problem while in the field was getting the knife back after I loaned it.

Most service members now seem to have a multi tool with them. At least that’s my impression.

I really think that the multitool has been a game changer in the field. It seems like everybody has one so borrowing someone’s blade isn’t as much of a problem as it was before. But, maybe I am wrong.

Just how many soldiers, marines, etc. carry MTs? I know I would. I saw just how useful they were in the field. I also saw how they got abused.

Last edited:
I was a Boatswain’s Mate in the late 80s to early 90s. Not issued anything by the USN, but once I was a rated seaman aboard a destroyer, was authorized to open carry a brass framed locking knife and a marlinspike in a handmade leather rig.

Marlin spike... Do navy ships even have rope on them any more? Seems like everything is steel and bolted or welded together.

Yeah, but I'm sure you learned from the first time... I was foolish enough to keep loaning them...

It took me a few times. I got to the point that I just did the cutting for them.

I still would loan out to people in my Section though. I had to train them. I’d loan a few times and then tell them to get their own.

Another problem was when someone would loan out what they had borrowed. That used to really piss me off.

Marlin spike... Do navy ships even have rope on them any more? Seems like everything is steel and bolted or welded together.

I'm not Surface Navy, but...

C2oOy34.jpg

8UA9s59.jpg

gaac08V.jpg

As for me, the base I'm at has a 3.5" limit on folders, so I just rotate my normal EDC with that limit in mind.

16 years USAF and recently transfered to the USSF. I have one of those boring jobs that keeps me stateside on an ops floor, so I tend to carry smaller folders from all sorts of brands(Buck, Kershaw, Benchmade, etc). For a spell though, I was in a squadron that saw me deploy. Took a Buck 110 that served well enough cutting cables, straps, and other assorted things. I brought it because it was $25 at the local Exchange and I figured it was low cost enough that if I lost it, it would not break my heart too much. Instead, I was told by many of the other servicemembers that I had brought a "fancy" knife. :p Guess it is all a matter of perspective.

It took me a few times. I got to the point that I just did the cutting for them.

I still would loan out to people in my Section though. I had to train them. I’d loan a few times and then tell them to get their own.

Another problem was when someone would loan out what they had borrowed. That used to really piss me off.
The pass around is the worst. Either you don't get it back or it's wrecked.

16 years USAF and recently transfered to the USSF. I have one of those boring jobs that keeps me stateside on an ops floor, so I tend to carry smaller folders from all sorts of brands(Buck, Kershaw, Benchmade, etc). For a spell though, I was in a squadron that saw me deploy. Took a Buck 110 that served well enough cutting cables, straps, and other assorted things. I brought it because it was $25 at the local Exchange and I figured it was low cost enough that if I lost it, it would not break my heart too much. Instead, I was told by many of the other servicemembers that I had brought a "fancy" knife. :p Guess it is all a matter of perspective.

To some, the wood and brass might look fancy. IMHO the 110 is a nice-looking knife.

I quit even trying to keep a hold on a 110 after the 2nd one came off the flight suit waist strap. Not a good thing around aircraft.

Loaning knives... :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

The edge damage on my Recon Tanto I mentioned in my first post in this thread was done while loaned. Loaned it out to a guy in my Sq who was thinking about getting one. He dulled it, on something. Called and let me know, I told him not to worry about it I'd touch it up when he got back. Well, he got drunk and felt bad and decided to sharpen it. Started re-profiling the edge. Woke up the next morning and realized what he did. He gave me money to replace the knife, but by that time I couldn't find any as that style had been discontinued.

After that, my tendency has been to not loan knives.

Loaning knives... :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

The edge damage on my Recon Tanto I mentioned in my first post in this thread was done while loaned. Loaned it out to a guy in my Sq who was thinking about getting one. He dulled it, on something. Called and let me know, I told him not to worry about it I'd touch it up when he got back. Well, he got drunk and felt bad and decided to sharpen it. Started re-profiling the edge. Woke up the next morning and realized what he did. He gave me money to replace the knife, but by that time I couldn't find any as that style had been discontinued.

After that, my tendency has been to not loan knives.
Man, that hurts.

Man, that hurts.

Yeah, a wee bit frustrating.

Have debated back and forth over the years whether or not I should trust someone to try and restore the blade edge, or just leave it as-is. Been keeping it clean and wiped down.

Yep.

I had an all stainless G96 folder that I took great pride in. Especially when I put an amazing edge on it. That was most of the time.

I remember some E4 from Commo came by the Aid Station looking for a knife. Of course, like a fool, I loaned him mine. When I got it back, the edge was pretty much nonexistent. More like a crosscut saw. I have no clue what he did with it.
Talk about irresponsible! Did he even offer to replace it? :thumbsdown::(

Talk about irresponsible! Did he even offer to replace it? :thumbsdown::(
No. And, when you loan a knife, most people will not even consider offering to replace it when they screw it up. You might get, “Sorry” at best. Might is the key word here.

Just another reason to think twice before loaning out your favorite knife.

Oh, And most soldiers won’t think twice before using your favorite blade as a screwdriver or pry bar

Yeah, a wee bit frustrating.

Have debated back and forth over the years whether or not I should trust someone to try and restore the blade edge, or just leave it as-is. Been keeping it clean and wiped down.

My question is this, are you using it at all?

If not, will you ever use it after it is repaired?

My question is this, are you using it at all?

If not, will you ever use it after it is repaired?

It's pretty much memorabilia tied to a point in my life, like the others posted in this thread. None will likely be used going forward.

Oh, And most soldiers won’t think twice before using your favorite blade as a screwdriver or pry bar

This is so pathetically true. Now when someone asks to borrow my knife I literally ask, "What for?" You would think that I could assume that they need to cut something, but they may literally be asking because they don't have a pry bar nearby.

Not military-related, but on the topic of knife abuse:

My boss at work probably 10 years ago walked around asking: "Does anyone have a knife?"
I proudly piped up that I did. He said: "Thanks" and gave it to a visitor from our German office. He proceeded to take off his watch and was about to use it to try to pry off the case back. My eyes went wide, and I said: "WHOAH! NO, PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!"

"But we use knives to remove casebacks in Europe all the time."

(I'm a watch collector too) "Usually knives designed just for that purpose. That will bend over edge on my knife and it will take me hours to grind it straight again. Sorry." (and I put my hand out)

"Let me see if I have a beater knife..." (dug through toolbox; found an old Sharp branded SAK copy, handed that to him)

"Thanks!"

"You're welcome."

"I can respect a guy who takes care of his tools."

Sounds like others have had the experience in the military where they should loan out their MULTI-TOOL, not their knife, and instruct them not to use the blade as a prybar or screwdriver...

It's pretty much memorabilia tied to a point in my life, like the others posted in this thread. None will likely be used going forward.
I feel your pain. I really do. If you have no plans of ever using it again, don’t bother to repair it.

However, let’s look at the bigger picture... when you are gone it probably will get thrown out unless it is a working tool.

I personally have the M3 Trench Knife that my father was issued in WW2. I will never use it but, it is one of my most cherished possessions of my fathers belongings. Having a knife that my grandfather used would also mean a lot to me.

You know, now that I have had time to think about your dilemma, I have to say repair it. Set it up to be passed down in your family. It may not mean anything to your offspring but, to their children it could be priceless. I love a knife with a story to tell. Always more interesting than just a plain knife. I use the knives I received from forum members more often than the ones I purchased for that very reason.

So, you have a picture of your knife?

Back