Difference between Ontario RAT-5 and TAK-1?

Bungwrench

Banned
Other than about 3/4" blade length, I cannot find a difference between these two knives.

Is one better than the other? I can get the TAK-1 for about $20 cheaper and to me it looks and feels the same and has the same blade steel (1095 carbon).

Looks like the blade shape is slightly different.

Pommel end on the RAT 5 is more exposed and pointed.
Also, the RAT 5 has jimping on the blade.
And then there's the inch or so which you mentioned.

I had a TAK 1 but haven't yet seen a RAT 5 close up,
so perhaps someone else will come by with a more definitive answer.

I would like to buy one of these. I noticed that I could get the TAK-1 in D2. I do not have any problem with good old carbon steel though.

Does anybody have any opinions on either of these knives?

Yup,
Both a good value for the money. Personally, I don't have a preference between 1095 and D2. They both perform quite well. I own/have owned, and modified several for customers.

I'm not too horny about their sheaths (a little too big for every day stuff, but ok for boonie stompin), but add a nice high ride kydex sheath with a tek-lok mounted with a slight fwd. cant, and you've got a winner.
Scott

Yup,
... but add a nice high ride kydex sheath with a tek-lok mounted with a slight fwd. cant, and you've got a winner.
Scott

Scott,

I agree. I like the sheath that came with my RAT-7 D2, because I can put my knife in either way. It's easy to strap the sheath to my pack, and I can carry it several different ways on my belt. It's rather bulky though, and I can't carry it inside the waistband.

I'd really like to get a kydex sheath, with either a Tek-lok or IWB clip. The problem is, it looks like I'll have to send my knife off to have it custom fitted. Do you know of anyone who has a stock of kydex sheaths for the RAT-7? If you do, I'd love to hear about it.

Tim

The Rat-5 has a wider blade than the Tak, a slightly deeper handle, a skull crusher pommel, and a usable finger choil that the Tak does not. Here are a few pics comparing the Rat-5 to a Tak D2. These are brand new blades from stock as my users are a little cruddy, and my 5 is in the pack out in the car.

DSCN2379.jpg

DSCN2378.jpg

DSCN2377.jpg

As for a Kydex sheath. I think that Eric from ON Scene Tactical has stock sheaths for at least the Rat-5.

bigbcustom,

Those are some great pictures. It has really helped me pic out the differences. Thank you very much.

Do you like one better over the other? They both look like really great knives. I am not sure if I like the "skull crusher" on the RAT-5. I do not think I would have any use for it.

I have used both, and like them both, but I would have to give the edge to the Rat-5 because of the finger choil. IMHO the finger choil on the 5 makes it much easier to deal with delicate cutting, and gives you much better control. Maybe I am just a finger choil freak lmao, I love it on my swamp rats and my scrapper six as well. You won't go wrong with either one. 1095 is easier to sharpen than D2 but has less corrosion resistance. D2 will hold an edge longer, and is pretty easy to field sharpen in my experience with diamond paddle type sharpeners.

All that being said, my ideal blade like these would be the TAK with the finger choil of the Rat-5 lmao, then again, I would bitch if they hung me with a new rope lol.

My .02 regarding the TAK, agree that it does not have the pronounced choil the RAT 5 does, but I utilize the choil on my TAK for delicate cutting tasks and I do not have small fingers.

I don;t own either but have handled them both. I like the RAT-5's canvas Micarta better than the linen on the TAK. I like the TAK's oeverall shape and design better, to include that it doesn;t have the "skull crusher" tang end.

All in all, I like the TAK better. If I buy another Ontario, it's probably going to be the TAK-1, either in 1095 or D2.

In case it helps ... based on the photos posted here ... a bit of Photoshop work.
I am myself undecided what between this two to choose but hopefully until Christmas I will make a decision ... btw if you stumble in a website with an exceptional price for any of this two (is it worth to mention that I am in UK now?) ... please let us know!

tak1_rat5.jpg
[/IMG]

PS: I had to change the colour for the TAK for visibility reasons

I have two TAKs. I've read the pointed pommel on the RAT 5 tends to stick you in the side and I have enough holes in me.

Both my TAKs are in 1095. Nice knife.

This isnt going to be usefull info, but i am all in love with my new RAT-5!
And the skullcrusher thingy i like alot, since i am mainly into destroying things with my rat.
In fact i also intend to buy a scrapyard knife, but i am dissapointed they dont seem to have a skullcrusher. Those knives are even stronger and are ment for brutal abuse, they shud really have it :(

here is some RAT POWER:
DSCN2662.jpg

DSCN2677.jpg

DSCN2684.jpg

DSCN2687.jpg

For all you RAT-5 owners .. how easy is to do small woodwork with it?

Not sure how small is small. I used mine to make a bow drill: shaping the ends of the spindle, boring the holes in the hearth and bearing block, cutting the notch, as well chopping and batoning to fashion all the components. For really fine chores, I always have my folder, but it's more of a "two is one" kind of deal.

The RAT and the TAK are so similar, I don't think either one beats the other at anything. I chose the RAT because of the larger choil and the grippier canvas scales.

They both look like really useful woods knives; but I just don't get that pointed "skull crusher." Even if you were in a knife fight, you'd never smack someone on the head with that thing. So you get a knife you can't use to pound in a stake or anything useful like that, and a knife that can stick you with a sharp end even when it's in the sheath.

Back