Difference between Ontario RAT-5 and TAK-1?

I don;t own either but have handled them both. I like the RAT-5's canvas Micarta better than the linen on the TAK. I like the TAK's oeverall shape and design better, to include that it doesn;t have the "skull crusher" tang end.

All in all, I like the TAK better. If I buy another Ontario, it's probably going to be the TAK-1, either in 1095 or D2.

You read my mind i agree with everything that you said.

If you get the TAK in 1095, it has canvas micarta handles, the D2 version comes with the linen micarta, at least that's how it was when I got my TAK.

That's right, the handle material goes with the steel type:

http://www.ontariorat.com/tak.htm

The pointy pommel on the RAT-5 is a glass breaker, per Mike and Jeff. I don't know why they call it a skull crusher on the website, unless it's to sound cool. I have no use for either, so a couple minutes with the grinder and some cold blue fixes it up.

I think I'm talking myself into getting a TAK, now...

i own a tak 1 in 1095.. i've owned a rat 7 in d2 and it i'm not a fan.. love the 1095- get the tak!

OK! I finally decided .. using a very simple way ... printed 2 photos at the right size, glued them on plywood and then cutting around .. I ended up with 2 wooden knives ... very easy to choose now ... Is going to be a TAK! probably in D2!

Necroposter here ;)

Got myself a slightly used TAK-1 in 1095 with the canvas micarta grips and the new sheath a week ago and like it! Similar to a Fallkniven F1 but on steroids! Does all the fine woodwork needed for a trapper like me, also a fine knife for starting a fire with a firesteel using the spine. Grip is good, and if i may use the FK F1 as a reference, the handle takes a lot more beating easily. I have extensive experience of fine woodwork with this type of knives.

Like it a lot!

Last edited:
Back