Disappointing performance of CruWear on new Adamas

This past weekend we went camping, and I thought it would be a great opportunity to try out the new Adamas in CPM-CruWear. It was primarily used for slicing kindling pieces off larger chunks of oak. Everything was done by hand - there was no batoning, etc. Once we got home, I noticed that the blade has noticeable wear to the edge, primarily near the belly. It is hard to see if it has chipped or rolled, as I have not examined under magnification yet. I really like the knife, but am completely underwhelmed and disappointed by how the steel performed. Curious if others have had a chance to put it to use and what your experience has been. Am I expecting/asking too much of this knife and steel?

6bgN65P.jpg

e4uUYCK.jpg

I am interested as well. I have the classic D2 and that is a camping beast! I just carry around a pocket stone for super easy touch ups (I beat on it way more than I should but the Adamas is built like a tank!)

You know, I thought about that after I posted. I will have to give it a proper edge and revisit. I really think Benchmade hit a home run with the new Adamas, I would hate for it to be a dud because of poor steel performance.

Now I have discovered a tiny ding/chip in my Mini Adamas, which I had already put a very sharp edge on with my Wicked Edge using the factory angle. I have done little more than open boxes with this knife. Is anyone else having issues with their Cru-Wear blades from Benchmade?

No problems here yet. Knife had a decent edge out of the box except for a wonky tip. Fixed it, didn't take long. Edge angle is decently low from factory, not sure what it is, but I'm sticking with it. Love this big boy.

I just got a mini adamas as a birthday gift from the wife (my son picked it out so extra points), really curious where this goes with the toughness of the BM cruwear. Not much info out there on it. My go to beat the S out of it knife is an Esee so not looking to replace a hard use field knife but would like to use the Adamas without worry on wood shavings and such like you're doing.

The initial edge retention of this model is known to be poor. It's because they sharpen it on an uncooled belt sander which overheats the thin edge, ruining the temper. The cure is to sharpen it by hand enough to remove the damaged metal. You can find Youtube videos proving this. While you're at it, you can fix the angle so that it will cut. These usually come with a 22-25 per side angle, which is good enough to cut paper but not much else. For a tough steel like this, 15 dps is a no-brainer. Unfortunately, removing that much steel is going to take a few hours of careful work. I've managed to get mine down to 17 dps so far. Cutting is still mediocre probably due to the thick blade and low grind, but it's improving. Behind the edge thickness still about 0.025", pretty decent. If only they didn't sharpen the blade I could get a better knife for less work...

Yeah, my S110V Manix chipped after some light cutting as well.

After a thorough sharpening...no problems.

Also, if the wood you were working with had any dirt on it, it could chip the blade.

The initial edge retention of this model is known to be poor. It's because they sharpen it on an uncooled belt sander which overheats the thin edge, ruining the temper. The cure is to sharpen it by hand enough to remove the damaged metal. You can find Youtube videos proving this. While you're at it, you can fix the angle so that it will cut. These usually come with a 22-25 per side angle, which is good enough to cut paper but not much else. For a tough steel like this, 15 dps is a no-brainer. Unfortunately, removing that much steel is going to take a few hours of careful work. I've managed to get mine down to 17 dps so far. Cutting is still mediocre probably due to the thick blade and low grind, but it's improving. Behind the edge thickness still about 0.025", pretty decent. If only they didn't sharpen the blade I could get a better knife for less work...
Is sending this back to benchmade an option and have them resharpen it to 15 dps? If you’re having issues and for the cost benchmade should fix it or update the knife

Is sending this back to benchmade an option and have them resharpen it to 15 dps? If you’re having issues and for the cost benchmade should fix it or update the knife
Benchmade sharpens their knives freehand on a belt sander. It's not possible for a human to do an accurate job that way. Plus they'll just overheat the edge again. Anyone with a $50 Worksharp Precision Sharpener can do better. You can't get blood from a stone.

Nobody asked, but FWIW here's my opinion on the full size new Adamas.
I bought this at Turner's because the display example had a very good action and I liked the looks. I never had an Adamas because generally I don't really get the whole thick blade thing. Thick blades and flat grinds have ruined many Cold Steel staples, but I digress.
The handle is incredibly comfortable, which reduces the felt effort. Not only is it crazy thick, it's also chamfered to perfection. I always test this by carving through a piece of 1 x 2 douglas fir. Of about 40 pocket knives, this has the most comfortable handle for hard cutting. Also your hand can't go forward or back very far so the grip is very secure. Traction is decent due to the holes and slots, so that's a win too.
The action is good, great for a Benchmade. Part of this is they finally made a model where the washers are as large in diameter as fits. Maybe they're just buying standard sizes and they got lucky, who knows. I'll take it any way. The axis spring pressure is light though, which I don't get. It's about the same as the original Presidio, lighter than Presidio II's. Since most parts of the Adamas are thicker/stronger than the Presidio, I don't get the light spring. I'm obsessing over this because spine whack failure is the weakness of the axis lock, and the weak spring isn't helping. Maybe someone flips a coin to pick the spring.
The blade looks really good with that cool blood groove. The tungsten grey color with white silkscreen is a huge win too. Little things like that probably boost sales more even than the blade steel. Speaking of Cruwear, how can a knife nut resist? It may add $80 dollars to the price and $10 to the cost. But I'm not complaining, I appreciate the chance to buy it. Good for Benchmade.
I love this knife, but I have to be honest and say it cuts worse than average. In wood or cardboard the effort is noticably high. The problem isn't behind the edge thickness. It started about 0.023" at about 22 dps, and is about 0.025" at 17 dps. That's no different than knives I have that cut better. I think the problem is the main grind angle which is 12 degrees total. Plus the coating friction is probably hurting it.
I like the fact that it's strong. The pivot screw is a beast. I don't like to pry with a knife, but I like knowing the knife will handle it well.
I'd say this knife works best for self defense or maybe as a survival pocketknife if there is such a thing. For heavy cutting use you'd be better off with a Presidio II or a Shaman.
If I could change one thing about it, I'd give it a hollow grind. The Cruwear will absorb 4 times the energy for the same size chip as S30V. It doesn't need a thick edge. A hollow grind would make it cut. Too bad hollow grinds are out of fashion.
Conclusion: Pricey, but recommend.

I was on the fence with this one, but don’t like the idea of poor performance out of the box. I have been carrying a Spyderco tuff in cpm Cruwear, and my factory edge hasn’t had any issues

I was on the fence with this one, but don’t like the idea of poor performance out of the box. I have been carrying a Spyderco tuff in cpm Cruwear, and my factory edge hasn’t had any issues
I recently picked up a mini Adamas in Cruwear. It’s been my workhorse around the house and also took it on a camping trip a couple weeks ago. I’ve had no issues with the factory edge. 👍🏻

I recently picked up a mini Adamas in Cruwear. It’s been my workhorse around the house and also took it on a camping trip a couple weeks ago. I’ve had no issues with the factory edge. 👍🏻
I’d like to try one, but admittedly two things have me on the fence….. this thread, and the mini not coming in an automatic like the full size(unlike other models)

I bought into the Adamas hype early on. I ended up moving mine not long after getting them mainly because of the thickness behind the edge and stock thickness. I know that it's a "hard use" folder but I've come to find that I don't need a wedge for hard use.

A couple of thoughts on Cruwear - 1. I believe it's pretty common to get a fatigued edge from a production knife. Many users on youtube that do edge retention testing report that sometimes it take 3 or more edges to get into the "good" steel. 2. Because Benchmade is a production company and produces a lot of knives there is more opportunity for a lemon to get through whether in heat treatment or over grinding.

I wish it weren't so but it seems to be the nature of the beast.

Back