Disappointing performance of CruWear on new Adamas

Inspiribomb

Gold Member
This past weekend we went camping, and I thought it would be a great opportunity to try out the new Adamas in CPM-CruWear. It was primarily used for slicing kindling pieces off larger chunks of oak. Everything was done by hand - there was no batoning, etc. Once we got home, I noticed that the blade has noticeable wear to the edge, primarily near the belly. It is hard to see if it has chipped or rolled, as I have not examined under magnification yet. I really like the knife, but am completely underwhelmed and disappointed by how the steel performed. Curious if others have had a chance to put it to use and what your experience has been. Am I expecting/asking too much of this knife and steel?

6bgN65P.jpg

e4uUYCK.jpg

Austin James

Gold Member
I am interested as well. I have the classic D2 and that is a camping beast! I just carry around a pocket stone for super easy touch ups (I beat on it way more than I should but the Adamas is built like a tank!)

Inspiribomb

Gold Member
You know, I thought about that after I posted. I will have to give it a proper edge and revisit. I really think Benchmade hit a home run with the new Adamas, I would hate for it to be a dud because of poor steel performance.

T.J. H

Platinum Member
My Adamas had chips after it’s first camping trip. I sharpened them out and it’s been fine since.

Inspiribomb

Gold Member
Fresh edge at 22 DPS, will cleanly shave hair and slice paper full length of the blade. Will report back after I get a chance to put it to use again.

Inspiribomb

Gold Member
Now I have discovered a tiny ding/chip in my Mini Adamas, which I had already put a very sharp edge on with my Wicked Edge using the factory angle. I have done little more than open boxes with this knife. Is anyone else having issues with their Cru-Wear blades from Benchmade?

No problems here yet. Knife had a decent edge out of the box except for a wonky tip. Fixed it, didn't take long. Edge angle is decently low from factory, not sure what it is, but I'm sticking with it. Love this big boy.

I just got a mini adamas as a birthday gift from the wife (my son picked it out so extra points), really curious where this goes with the toughness of the BM cruwear. Not much info out there on it. My go to beat the S out of it knife is an Esee so not looking to replace a hard use field knife but would like to use the Adamas without worry on wood shavings and such like you're doing.