Disc grinder... why didn't I do this years ago?

I finally got around to building a disc grinder. I had a bit of money left over from a couple of commissions just before Christmas, and decided to go for it. Bought a 1 degree beveled disc from Tru Grit and found an absolute steal on a single phase Marathon motor on Amazon. Slapped it all together and mounted it on a cheap Harbor Freight stand. Total invested, even including the stand and some ceramic PSA disks is well under $200. Way cheaper than I expected, and I freaking love it. Why the HELL didn't I do this years ago?? :confused:

*EDIT TO ADD* finally got pictures attached! Sorry about the grinder dust... :-\

disc grinder 2.jpg
disc grinder1.jpg

Last edited:
Wait until you build your second disc sander and make it with a VFD. If yo think this one is versatile, you will be amazed at what VF and reverse.
The one yo just made may be reversible by adding just a DPDT switch.

I can’t say mine is the most used in the shop but it is certainly one of the most important, and used on every kitchen and folding knife I make.

This set up is not cheap but it really speeds up the build when making slipjoints

OnlCgpq.jpg

My disk has always been handy to have, but I recently starting making some liner locks and I am using it all the time on them. Deburring, flattening, grinding screws flush to liners, etc. Would hate to be without it now.

One thing I see on most commercial disc grinders is 1HP motors. Why would you need that much power for a 9" disc grinder? Seems 1/3HP would be plenty, and 1/2HP more than sufficient.

One thing I see on most commercial disc grinders is 1HP motors. Why would you need that much power for a 9" disc grinder? Seems 1/3HP would be plenty, and 1/2HP more than sufficient.
I would TOTALLY agree with that statement. I think I've got a 3/4 hp on my disk grinder and it's all that's needed for what I used a disk grinder for. One person said they wanted more HP because they used the disk grinder for grinding bevels from scratch.

The motor I got is indeed a 1/3hp motor. Seems to have more than enough power to me...

Having a hard time uploading pictures for some reason. Need to update my membership so I can upload direct again...

Here we go! When in doubt, upload directly to the forum and link the media to the post ;) Pictures inserted into original post.

I have a cheap HF one in my shop and I struggle to find uses. Probably because I’m a novice, but I’m looking forward to the day I realize what I’m missing.

Great setup by the way OP!

Because it is not used solely for knifemaking and I can stop a 1/2 hp disc, grinding aluminum, while the 1 hp does it easily

i would encourage you to put a work rest on it while it is still new and pretty.. that way you can set the angle you want to use for beveling etc..

I use my disc grinder for so many tasks. A couple tasks are flattening scales and grinding heavy scratches on blades. There’s times I stall my 1HP motor. I think if you have to buy a motor I’d for sure go 1 hp. If I had a free 1/2 hp I’d probably use that until I got a 1 hp.

I wouldnt buy a motor less of 1hp for anything in the shop. Price difference is negligible too. Mine have 1 and 1.5 hp.

I’d really like to see someone doing bevels and everything on a disc. I’ve heard of people doing it.

Back