Disc grinder... why didn't I do this years ago?

Nice. I am seriously looking into a dual disc 16" one. 2 hp.
I have three of them for now .One is 2 hp , 26 or was 27 cm Dia. disc and 2800 rpm. I have 40 grit zirconia or ceramic glued with contact cement and i grind most of kitchen knife on that disc grinder .Other two are 1/2 hp motor and 1400 rpm. One have same disc as first one and i use it most time for wood .Last one i make to accept small disc for angle grinders...................I m almost finished with the fourth disk grinder , horizontal one , 2 HP .
RpDAbUX.jpg

9E263kZ.jpg

gEdw0YT.jpg

Last edited:
Would I like to have a 1hp motor on this? Maybe, although I haven't bogged this setup down yet during the hour or so I have on it so far. But remember when I said I have significantly less than two hundred bucks into the whole build, stand and ceramic discs included? I'm not likely to complain ;)

You are going to love your disc grinder, then the other shoe will drop and suddenly realize why you need "reverse" on it

Would I like to have a 1hp motor on this? Maybe, although I haven't bogged this setup down yet during the hour or so I have on it so far. But remember when I said I have significantly less than two hundred bucks into the whole build, stand and ceramic discs included? I'm not likely to complain ;)

What grit do ya'll use on your disc grinder?
80 through 2k
120 and 220 are ceramic psa from Pops, the rest are 9" paper stuck on with spray
adhesive.
I have the Neilson system w/6 discs, one is lined with cork and one with 1/8"rubber.

So why reverse? Can't you simply use the other side of the disc? With a disc the part in front of the center is going down to the stand, but the other side is moving up from the stand. Can you simply use the other side rather than reversing?

You could, but then you’d have sparks flying in your face as you grind on the side rotating upwards. So reverse the disk AND move to the other side so the sparks are all going toward the floor.

I use mine to grind swedges.
The VFD and reverse are both very useful.
Going to the other side of the disc and reversing, lets me grind the other side in precisely the same way.
Having the disc going the wrong way and lifting your piece doesn't feel easy to control.

I have three of them for now .One is 2 hp , 26 or was 27 cm Dia. disc and 2800 rpm. I have 40 grit zirconia or ceramic glued with contact cement and i grind most of kitchen knife on that disc grinder .Other two are 1/2 hp motor and 1400 rpm. One have same disc as first one and i use it most time for wood .Last one i make to accept small disc for angle grinders...................I m almost finished with the fourth disk grinder , horizontal one , 2 HP .
RpDAbUX.jpg

9E263kZ.jpg

gEdw0YT.jpg
If I'm ever getting a third one, I'm letting my current 12"/300 mm one go and going for this 2 hp dual 16"/400 mm disc one. I really like how they solved the disc change, table inclination control and mitre gauge locking mechanism (T-slot). For handle work and other non-blade related grindig mainly (apart from setting straight lines along spine of long blades). Made in Europe. Alot of €$£ though.
TDwwf9b.jpg

I used to use mine for various tasks. Now I just leave it setup for wa handle angles

I only use the psa backed discs

Nq2yFqp.jpg

Quite a few years back a local gent passed away. For over 50 years he ran a large machine shop and a custom woodworking shop on opposite ends of the same warehouse. His son was liquidating everything to sell the building. I got a ton (literally) of surface plates, measuring tools, materials, abrasives, and a lot of neat stuff for future equipment builds. The metal shop have a dozen huge milling machines, lathes, drilling machines, etc. All too big for me to use. I filled up several boxes of small accessories and tools, though. I piled all the stuff up by the door and the son said $200 sounded about right to him. I am sure the largest surface plate cost over that.
In the middle of the shop was a huge 5HP, 3 phase disc sander The disc was 24" and had a magnetic mount similar to the Neilsen system, ... but the aluminum mounting plate was the size of a flywheel ... probably 3" thick. Next to it was an 8 foot tall custom cabinet with a shelf every 6" - filled with PSA discs on aluminum backing plates that could be interchanged on the magnetic plate. Then there was the nearby corner stacked with unopened boxes of discs. There was also a rolling rack with about a half-a-dozen more of the aluminum disc mounts. The unit had two vacuum hoses attached to it. One went to the wood recovery system and the other to the metal side unit. The old gent used it for everything. It would have taken a fork lift to move it, but they had one, so that wasn't an issue. We figured it weighed over 1000 pounds. I offered to buy it and the son said he thought he would keep it for his woodshop. I offered to buy some of the aluminum mounting discs and some of the boxes of unopened sanding discs. He said he would keep them all. I understood and left with the first of my several loads of equipment and stuff - all for $200.
On the last day before they sold the building I came back to get free stuff. The son had called and said everything was going into big dumpsters and heading to the scrap yard. I could take whatever I wanted except the wood in the wood racks. He said the building was open and just to go in and get stuff. I went back and one thing still there was the 12" belt sander setup. It was impossible to move as a whole, since it was built into a 10 foot table/stroke sander setup, so I took the motor, heads, idler assembly, contact, and other wheels. I got a bunch of the huge belts, too. Someday this will become a kaiten toishi.
I looked for the disc sander and it was gone. The discs and the racks, as well as the boxes, were all in one group, so I figured the son was moving them.
I loaded the van full of other cool stuff and left.
As I drove past the dumpsters of the metal scrap I saw the disc sander sitting on the pile. This still hurts.

Last edited:
Someone emailed me about the Kaiten Toishi project. It is still in the planning and most all the parts are in a big bin in storage. After I finish the new shop equipment this is likely the first "Fun Build" project. It will be a full WIP when I get started.

Here is the original thread on the subject. I don't know if anyone ever got to building one ... yet.
Name For a Japanese Wheel | BladeForums.com

Since the first tire ideas, I ran into a fellow with a recapping business in NC. He said he didn't see why he couldn't recap a tire over and over again to build up a solid tire 36" in diameter. He suggested starting with a narrow tractor tire. Once built up, he could turn it smooth and true on the tire lathe. I haven't seen him in years, but the idea is still a good thought.

YESSS. Every time I look at truck tires on the road, I think, man, those would be nice contact wheels. And then I remember I need to pay attention to driving.

Quite a few years back a local gent passed away. For over 50 years he ran a large machine shop and a custom woodworking shop on opposite ends of the same warehouse. His son was liquidating everything to sell the building. I got a ton (literally) of surface plates, measuring tools, materials, abrasives, and a lot of neat stuff for future equipment builds. The metal shop have a dozen huge milling machines, lathes, drilling machines, etc. All too big for me to use. I filled up several boxes of small accessories and tools, though. I piled all the stuff up by the door and the son said $200 sounded about right to him. I am sure the largest surface plate cost over that.
In the middle of the shop was a huge 5HP, 3 phase disc sander The disc was 24" and had a magnetic mount similar to the Neilsen system, ... but the aluminum mounting plate was the size of a flywheel ... probably 3" thick. Next to it was an 8 foot tall custom cabinet with a shelf every 6" - filled with PSA discs on aluminum backing plates that could be interchanged on the magnetic plate. Then there was the nearby corner stacked with unopened boxes of discs. There was also a rolling rack with about a half-a-dozen more of the aluminum disc mounts. The unit had two vacuum hoses attached to it. One went to the wood recovery system and the other to the metal side unit. The old gent used it for everything. It would have taken a fork lift to move it, but they had one, so that wasn't an issue. We figured it weighed over 1000 pounds. I offered to buy it and the son said he thought he would keep it for his woodshop. I offered to buy some of the aluminum mounting discs and some of the boxes of unopened sanding discs. He said he would keep them all. I understood and left with the first of my several loads of equipment and stuff - all for $200.
On the last day before they sold the building I came back to get free stuff. The son had called and said everything was going into big dumpsters and heading to the scrap yard. I could take whatever I wanted except the wood in the wood racks. He said the building was open and just to go in and get stuff. I went back and one thing still there was the 12" belt sander setup. It was impossible to move as a whole, since it was built into a 10 foot table/stroke sander setup, so I took the motor, heads, idler assembly, contact, and other wheels. I got a bunch of the huge belts, too. Someday this will become a kaiten toishi.
I looked for the disc sander and it was gone. The discs and the racks, as well as the boxes, were all in one group, so I figured the son was moving them.
I loaded the van full of other cool stuff and left.
As I drove past the dumpsters of the metal scrap I saw the disc sander sitting on the pile. This still hurts.

Holy hell Stacy. That hurts just to THINK about... :eek::eek::mad:

Back