DMT Extra Extra Fine

Kitayama stone is a polishing stone and would have been a really big jump from the 1k. A full polish on a Scandinavian grind might look good sitting on a shelf but that's about it, I would recommend against doing so.

Your not going to jump right in with waterstones and be able to get that perfect mirror polish especially with just 2 stones. Currently you seem to be over-thinking it, learn the stones you are getting first and then expand.

1)Kitayama stone is a polishing stone and would have been a really big jump from the 1k...

Your not going to jump right in with waterstones and be able to get that perfect mirror polish especially with just 2 stones. 2)Currently you seem to be over-thinking it, learn the stones you are getting first and then expand.

1) agree - 1k to 8K is too large of a jump, there should be a 4K or 5K stone in between.
2) yep - buy a 1K & 4-6K waterstones, play around to get experience before expand.

Mirror finish is for show/display because any really uses will likely to scratch it up. OK, I do mirror my bevel from time to time but then let it matt/scratch with use & touchup.

That's not what I'm saying.

A scandi grind when fully polished tends to stick and not cut properly. Very specific and only pertains to this situation.

That's not what I'm saying.

A scandi grind when fully polished tends to stick and not cut properly. Very specific and only pertains to this situation.

I did took out the 'scandi' part in the quote of my previous post however clarity is good.

Ok, well then it seems I made a good call by getting the 1 and 6K stones. Not really sure what I am going to do with the DMT extra extra fine stone now. What grit is it supposed to be? says 8K mesh, but I am not sure what that equates to.

It will work very well on wear resistant steels, S90V or M4 come to mind as good steels to see what the EEF can really do. Follow the Microns, its easier. Grit is confusing unless you can grasp all the different scales.

Ok, well then it seems I made a good call by getting the 1 and 6K stones. Not really sure what I am going to do with the DMT extra extra fine stone now. What grit is it supposed to be? says 8K mesh, but I am not sure what that equates to.

The DMT EEF (8K mesh) is 3 micron particle size.

Back