Do you carry a back-up knife with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My backup is usually the small blade on a multi-tool or my SAK. In the city, that can be as small as my Micra! In my day-pack (with me even in the city) there might be a small and inexpensive fixed blade like a Wedge II, but I no longer carry that unless I'm sure I'm not going anywhere my pack might be searched. Otherwise, I also have a single edged razor blade in my wallet.

Originally posted by Nathan S
Bob Q. - What kind of scales are those on your 710? I can't really tell from your picture, but that sure doesn't look like G10.

You're right. :) The scales are ironwood and the backspacer is horn. Frank Recupero is the man!

--Bob Q

I always have at least two knives on me. Sometimes when I go to work I put my knives in my coat pocket and leave them there. The next day I put a different knife in my pants pocket. this goes on for a few days. Eventualy it get to where I am weighed down with about eight or nine knives in various pockets. So every few days I have to clean out the coat and start over.

My "sheeple" is a sweet and small Ray Cover slip joint I carry left front.

My main blade is a Mayo TNT Recurve.

My "cut & run" blade these days is either a CQC-6 , or a Viper 1.

In light of very recent carjackings by hoods heading through the I-5 corridor, I've started carrying a Crawford Devil's Dart on the console of my rig. In the confines of the cab, I figure it's easier to stick than to try and slash.;)

AL

when I first came to BF I was a class 2 knives carrier now I am a class 4 knife carrier. In 2 more years I will be class 6 and so on.

I always have delica, sak, leatherman and endura and sometimes a FB

I will sometimes carry a back-up. I will sometimes go into some bad neighborhoods for work(fires seem to happen there quite often for some reason), and I will carry either a boot knife or another folder to back up my ATCF. I am not paranoid, I just prefer to feel a little more secure. I believe that good things go in pairs;)

...Sort of, but it's pretty hard to carry a "back-up" for my monsterous REKAT Sifu!.:D. Along with the Sifu, I always carry a REKAT Carnivour Cub, and a Leatherman Micra, and those 2 are my "working knives" (IF a Micra is thought of as a "knife"...).

IF I know that I'm going "in harm's way", I'll carry one of my Glock pistols, and if that's not allowed, I'll carry my Camillus Cuda CQB-1, as a "back-up" to my Sifu.

I also carry 2 knives. One is a large folder (3.5 - 4 inch blade) that I carry for peace of mind in my right pants or jacket pocket, the other is a smaller (about 4 inch closed) folder that I use for utility, and carry in my left pocket. I'm of the school of thought that self-defense blades shouldn't be used for more mundane uses, so that they are always sharp and ready for use.

My larger blades are currently a Benchmade TSEK, Benchmade Griptilian or SOG Pentagon Elite. Smaller blade has been a Benchmade mini-TSEK, although I just got a small classic Sebenza that I'm carrying now.

I also often carry a wooden Koppo stick for left hand use, although I'm thinking of upgrading to a titanium JSP stick.

miguel

For general day-to-day life, I usually carry a small SAK in addition to whatever folder I'm carrying. (Sheeple friendly, but mostly for the scissors.) Swisstool on the keyring. If I venture off the pavement, the combo usually becomes some form of fixed blade with a full-size Leatherman.

Being a gigging guitar player in a former life I know that if you only have one, and it breaks, you have none.

I carry something else within walking distance, usually in the day pack.

Golok,
I always carry in pairs this is from training and experience.
In carrying a blade for protection if I have one blade this leaves
an empty hand to defend against a blade and increases the amount
of area that vulnerable to injury.By carrying in tandem this reduces
my opponents targets and increases my offensive capability and the
likelyhood that I will sucessfully end the conflict.

I came home from work today and realized that I used my Scallion about six times and my other larger knives none. I've felt this way before and tried just going out with one knife, but it just doesn't feel right.

Solid_Soldier:
I haven't seen it, but that's exactly what I'm talking about! That's an example of the Akyroyd Jitsu, a spinoff of Trashcan Kwon Do.

Zero

Hey Golok,

Can I check out your backup piece at the office? :p

SAm

Current pocket contents:
1. Buck Nxt
2.Gerber Chameleon 2
3. Swiss Cybertool 31
4.Leatherman PST II
5. Swiss card in wallet
Does that answer your question?
Lagarto

Along with my 710 or CQC7 I will carry a SAK or SOG Paratool. I guess you could consider them "back up blades" but not in the same league as a tactical one hander. I find them handy as loaners or if I need a blade for a real nasty job or if I am in sheeple country.

Gord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back