Do you ever take along a knife specifically to use at table when attending a BBQ or visiting a steakhouse for a meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got excited about Argentine BBQ awhile back and got this Gaucho knife in case I am able to cook some and then just cut it up and eat it Argentine Gaucho style.
Nice blade...

Argentine BBQ looks a lot like Santa Maria Style BBQ. A lot different than the meat smoking that's so popular in the Southern US.

Again, where is your data that sliced meat tastes better than torn meat?
Where is your "data" that torn meat tastes as good as properly sliced meat? See how that works?

Cutting meat with a dull instrument requires greater pressure to be exerted and/or a laborious sawing motion -- both which have a deleterious effect on the ultimate taste of the meat.

First, the greater pressure mechanically pushes meat juices (blood) out of the meat. That effects its taste and the mouth-feel. Wiping the mouthful of meat through the growing pool of juice under the parent piece of meat simply cannot replicate the taste/mouth feel of a piece of meat which was sliced with a proper and sharp instrument and thus has its juice intact. In addition, depending on the amount of pressure applied, the meat can become compressed which also compromises the visual attractiveness of the meat. We do eat with our eyes as well to some extent.

Second, if one relies on a light sawing motion in an attempt not to apply too much pressure, the result is simply hideous. Something akin to meat sawdust is produced, a long with a lot of lost juice. The result is a rough, jagged mouth feel and the same lost of taste as above.

Third, thinner sliced meats simply masticate easier and better. Just try cutting thinner slices with a dull instrument. All the problem listed above are amplified.

Cutting meat with a dull instrument requires greater pressure to be exerted and/or a laborious sawing motion -- both which have a deleterious effect on the ultimate taste of the meat.

Give me a break. Do you seriously believe the crap that you type?

By your analogy, CHEWING your steak must be the absolute WORST thing you can do, huh? Oh, wait - excuse me - masticate, not chew. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This guy gets it.

hqdefault.jpg

I don’t need data. I have a life time of experience. Finely sliced meat tastes better than torn up meat all day long.
I never thought about why it does, but S Stahlmann makes a lot of sense

I would add that a sharp knife cuts through any fibers a dull serated knife rips the fibers loose.

Last edited:
Where is your "data" that torn meat tastes as good as properly sliced meat? See how that works?

First, the greater pressure mechanically pushes meat juices (blood) out of the meat. That effects its taste and the mouth-feel. Wiping the mouthful of meat through the growing pool of juice under the parent piece of meat simply cannot replicate the taste/mouth feel of a piece of meat which was sliced with a proper and sharp instrument and thus has its juice intact. In addition, depending on the amount of pressure applied, the meat can become compressed which also compromises the visual attractiveness of the meat. We do eat with our eyes as well to some extent.

Second, if one relies on a light sawing motion in an attempt not to apply too much pressure, the result is simply hideous. Something akin to meat sawdust is produced, a long with a lot of lost juice. The result is a rough, jagged mouth feel and the same lost of taste as above.

Third, thinner sliced meats simply masticate easier and better. Just try cutting thinner slices with a dull instrument. All the problem listed above are amplified.
You made the assertion, it's on you to provide evidence to support your claim.

Although, if you find cutting a steak with a steak knife laborious I think the issue may not be with the cutlery.

ETA: Oh, and the juices produced aren't in any way blood.

Is this your opinion?

Teeth aren't sharp, so ultimately the meat gets torn. I assert that there is no difference in taste whether cut with a sharp or dull knife.

So, I spoke to my dad who was a cook, says an owner would be insulted at the byok, that the restaurant provides cutlery. Furthermore, to my surprise, says a good steak knife is essential to the dining experience.

who knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back