• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Do you pay MAP?

Do you pay MAP?

• I NEVER pay full Map.

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • I have no choice; if I want it new, I’m paying MAP or waiting for the discontinuation sale.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I’ll only pay MAP for a sprint/exclusive/etc. Otherwise no MAP for me.

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • I buy exclusively on the secondary market.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I pay MAP when I have to, but I have other means (besides secondary market) to get knives below MAP.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I have an employee purchase program/military discount/etc. and can often purchase below MAP

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • I only buy new if it’s on sale.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I have a local retailer that sells below MAP from their storefront.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I have a retailer that hooks me up because I’m a loyal customer or I have a connection/bro deal.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 16 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some knife nuts have means to get around MAP, while some are either paying full price or hitting the secondary market as their only recourse. So, purely out of curiosity I created this poll. Please tale a minute to look it over. If you have any suggestions for something to add or modify, let me know.

There’s no statistical significance, and multiple responses are allowed.

NOTE: The politics/ethics/legitimacy/theology/emotional response of MAP has been beat to death. If you want to discuss that aspect of MAP, please dig up an old thread or start your own.

Thanks!

ETA: For some reason I can't edit the poll. The last choice [2] was a fat finger...sorry!

Last edited:
I know some knife nuts have means to get around MAP, while some are either paying full price or hitting the secondary market as their only recourse. So, purely out of curiosity I created this poll. Please tale a minute to look it over. If you have any suggestions for something to add or modify, let me know.

There’s no statistical significance, and multiple responses are allowed.

NOTE: The politics/ethics/legitimacy/theology/emotional response of MAP has been beat to death. If you want to discuss that aspect of MAP, please dig up an old thread or start your own.

Thanks!

You forgot I’ll pay map if I really have to have it if it’s a new model.

Yes, as for all items prices fluctuate due to currencies, commodities, and inflation among other factors. It is unreasonable to expect prices to stay the same when the costs involved in their production are often increasing. That is why I always like to think, if I want something buy it now since most likely the price will only go up. Or maybe that is how I justify my impulsiving buying...

Price- If you do not like the price, don't buy. Don't like the price, start your own business and put a price on you like. Don't get on a National site and piss and moan about the price when you do not have a clue about the fine points of business and market price.
I have went to many different forums on this site and it is constant whining about this company and that company and price gouging.
There are great knifes in the U.S. today due to companies like Case, Benchmade, Spyderco and ZT just to name a few.The list goes on and on.
This is a great place to learn and talk about blades. If you want to talk about price start and monitor your site and do all the pissing and moaning you want.

I view every knife buying decision the same way. If I am willing to pay the asking price, I buy. If not, I move on. I don’t know if the seller is making 400% profit or taking a loss.

I pay what stuff costs. Not sure how else to get it.

Robbery? Trying to barter with an online store via text messages?

Price- If you do not like the price, don't buy. Don't like the price, start your own business and put a price on you like. Don't get on a National site and piss and moan about the price when you do not have a clue about the fine points of business and market price.
I have went to many different forums on this site and it is constant whining about this company and that company and price gouging.
There are great knifes in the U.S. today due to companies like Case, Benchmade, Spyderco and ZT just to name a few.The list goes on and on.
This is a great place to learn and talk about blades. If you want to talk about price start and monitor your site and do all the pissing and moaning you want.

Hear that, guys? We have Mr. 35 Posts and like, two months of membership guy here informing us of what we can and can't talk about. LOL

Also, knives has a "v" in it. :)

Folks, see my OP. Specifically what I wrote IN BOLD.

This thread is NOT about price hikes.
This thread is NOT to complain about MAP or debate its theology.
If you came here to do those things, please move along.

For those who have taken the poll and are keeping things on track, thank you. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I usually get stuck paying the MAP whenever I’m buying a knife new. Most of the models I want aren’t in the stores around me, especially considering the last 4 models I’ve bought were all exclusives/sprints/SFO’s. There’s no way I’m getting it any lower than the MAP, and if I do end up waiting then I’d more than likely get stuck paying a higher price on the secondary market anyway.

I will hunt the secondary market before I buy at MAP. I think I've only purchased 2 or 3 knives at MAP in my lifetime.

Most knives I am after these days fall into the 'vintage' category anyways, so gotta hunt!

Folks, see my OP. Specifically what I wrote IN BOLD.

This thread is NOT about price hikes.
This thread is NOT to complain about MAP or debate its theology.
If you came here to do those things, please move along.

For those who have taken the poll and are keeping things on track, thank you. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mumble mumble ..price ..mumble mumble mumble ...spiders ...mumble... butterflies ...mumble mumble.........lol

I don't, for obvious reasons. But if I weren't a dealer, I would pay MAP. Most of the time when I buy knives/tools I don't have access to wholesale they don't have MAP, but if they do, I pay it. It is what it is, and if I can afford it, I can afford it. If not, I look elsewhere for a more economically feasible solution to whatever problem I'm trying to tackle.

I like to take my time and shop around, see if there's any sales going on or anyone's selling 2nd hand. Not in a rush to grab any knife, my boring tastes go for plain satin/black and a lot of sprints/exclusives aren't that.
Some knives I pay MAP for since I feel its good value to begin with.

I have voted I am not sure what "2" is so I couldn't vote for it but I might reconsider when I can further understand the meaning of "2"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back