Do you use your GEC knives?

iBp939o.jpg

I use a lot of mine and gec is pretty much all i carry. This one is used hard.

No question GEC makes a nice knife. I have a few, but will admit that the ones I am most interested in are either difficult to come by or a bit spendy. For these reasons I usually carry other brands more often and I am okay with that. This early Red Stag 23 is probably my crown jewel:
AeV77HR.jpg

r4k93pO.jpg

7ePHikp.jpg

I use the sh.....uh....um....stuffing outta mine:D:thumbsup: I'm 90% certain that if I by some miracle received some ultra rare 1 of 1 GEC it'd have patina within 24 hours. But thats just me,if someone gets enjoyment from keeping them mint then thats what is right for them;):thumbsup:
Good lookin bunch of users right there :thumbsup:
The Farm and Field series looks especially nice with good honest wear on them. Going to drop my orange 71 in pocket tomorrow, thanks for the inspiration :D

I have way more GEC knives that are Safe Queens than there are Users . I do use some of them without hesitation when I do carry them . When I know that I will be working outside , I will carry some great Older knives . The following GECs are usually the ones that I will use .

Then there are many more GECs that I will carry and use if I have a small cutting job .

Harry

Last edited:
Good lookin bunch of users right there :thumbsup:
The Farm and Field series looks especially nice with good honest wear on them. Going to drop my orange 71 in pocket tomorrow, thanks for the inspiration :D
Thanks, the Farm and Field series are such no nonsense no frills working knives I don't see how anyone could NOT use them:thumbsup: My 71 is a gift from a gracious porch member and was my first GEC:cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, the Farm and Field series are such no nonsense no frills working knives I don't see how anyone could NOT use them:thumbsup: My 71 is a gift from a gracious porch member and was my first GEC:cool::thumbsup:
I’m sure it made a good impression, the Bullnose just begs for work. Mine gets used for all the dirty jobs around the house and sometimes under the hood, scraping old gaskets, cutting rubber hoses, zip ties, etc. Handles it all like a champ.

Nope, I have never used any of my GEC's, or others purchased in the past few years. I love them for the workmanship, and for me at least, that is enough reason to own them. I have 4 or 5 knives that have been in use for many years, they are all I need, and serve me well as users.
I do completely understand those who use all their knives, after all that is what they are made for.

I too only have a half dozen GEC's ... I carry all of them except one ... a 2 blade congress with St. Paddy's Day acrylic - absolutely irreplaceable if I ever lost it as they never surface, as GEC refuses to offer any interesting acrylics anymore ... so it's ok that one stays put.

zU0WW81.jpg

Last edited:
I only have a few and I use all of them, even slightly modify them. Some will say it's sacrilige, I say who gives. They're mine, they bring me joy, that's the only important thing. :)

My 73 is probably my biggest beater. It had that characteristic point which the 73 spay blades usually have, but I filed it down to a slightly more droppoint shape.
mVFI8wd.jpg

Removed the bail and polished off the etch on this one.
JVyMs1V.jpg

Many turn do blade deletes to their 2 blade jacks, I had the reverse done with this one.
89nSIYB.jpg

I have more GEC safe queens than users and a few months back I sold some to balance the brands in my collection. I enjoy my collection and users, especially when one of my grandsons ask what did you get recently. It’s not a GEC but he thought our Forums ram horn was great. Any hobby can be an investment, I have a few, so to me if I loose or make a profit that’s okay as long as I’m enjoying my hobby.

I own 3 and have carried them. I don’t own any knives that I intend for drawer queens but tend to be a one knife guy for periods of a year or so and that means the rest tend to sit for long periods, occasionally oiled and admired. My monogamy makes me a boring porch member. I might need to adopt a rotation to spice things up.

Last edited:
I try to use most of the knives I buy because not really planning on selling any. However, I did see an immediate difference in using my GEC 38 special one night over stainless steel blades. I just used it to eat a cheeseball and crackers and when I went to wash the knife off as usual, noticed a large blotch on the blade! The blotch was not wiping off either. I guess something in the cheeseball made the blade develop an instant patina so I will still be using my GECs, but may just have that one for food only.

Back