does any one here carry an opinel?

i was researching the internet for an inexpensive pocket knife with good carbon steel, and happened across these. what are your opinions? i am seriously contemplating the number 8

They are a classic, time tested blade with a great following. Can't go wrong.

The No 8 is the most popular model from what I have read. I have handled them in the past, and they have a large following, I just ordered one a couple of days ago and am waiting on it to get here.

I consider them to be similar to Moras. You either love them or you don't, and it only cost a few $ to find out so why not.

Chances are you will enjoy it. Good luck.

Unless you have an Opinel in your rotation and in your collection you don't appreciate knives. My #8 is always around.

They take a great edge. They are one of the few folders where you can carry a large blade without causing any problems since very few would see them as a threat.

The carbon is close to 1086 and is on the soft side at 56 rc. The Inox is 12c27 at 58rc and has really won me over. It's really nice.

The Opinel requires some tinkering and tuning to get the joint just so. They favor folks with a DYI gene.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28597626/tuning-opinels.txt

I agree 100% about the comment about them being people friendly. They are also very tough in the large sizes.

Welcome aboard newguy93!!!!
At first I thought you were joking, please tell me you know who John Wayne is.
Ask this same question in the traditional forum, yes, a whole parcel owns and has a thing for Opinel. They are great slicers.

I have handled the carbon before and I liked them quite a bit, and I own quite a few carbon steel knives that i Really like. That being said, what I have heard of their stainless makes me think I would like that Better than their carbon version.

Though, to answer your question, the carbon version is a Very capable and user friendly knife that takes a Very fine edge and can be maintained Very easily.

Do some research, there are a few threads that contain posts that directly compare edge holding, durability, and capabilities of them side by side. The inox is at the very least on par, if not better in Many regards.

Do some digging and while your at it, google custom opinel for ideas on what is possible with them.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
I keep a #6 in my bag, and love it. I've been thinking about getting a larger one for the woods(currently use a svörd peasant for that role).

The opinel makes a great folding food prep tool.
One could get an Insane edge on that thing.
Its thin blade makes it suitable for delicate stuff.
And must i say, that its wooden handle exudes a quaint old world charm.
But don't be fooled by its handle
As it is hardy and robust.
Likewise for its blade is equally at home in the kitchen
As it is in the field.
If there is anything to gripe is that there will probably
Never be a high end model with premium materials.
It is a penny knife after all,
But boy. What a pretty penny knife warts and all.
Yeah. I carry mine because its one of the few affordable knives worth having.

Broom handle and a blade lol just don't speak to me but I'm sure there ok

They are far from a broom handle. Put one in your hand and you will feel how the slight curves make for an extremely comfortable grip. If you don't like the grip, take some sandpaper and re-shape it how you like. Op[inel's are easy to customize. As for the blade, it comes fully convex ground, and slices better than most knives including much more expensive knives.

They are a classic, time tested blade with a great following. Can't go wrong.

Couldn't be more in agreement. Penny for penny, can't think of a better buy for a small, lightweight utility, that easily sharpens to an almost unbeatable edge. Get one...any size will do. ;')

The handles are also super easy to mod! I cut the antlers off of a deer across from my high school and put the blade and ring on it. I also like to drop-point the blades. I think the drop point looks a little more classy. I do still have a clip point however. You can't go wrong with an Opi!

Love opinels. I carry a #8 usually as a "clean" knife. I work in a hospital so I don't trust my main edc around food.

I also have a spare 8 in my hiking gear. A 6 I sometimes take instead of my 8 and a 10 I keep in my camping cook bag. I've given my dad and two friends 8s as gifts and they love them. A friend who hunts and traps for half his income just had me pick up 3 8s for him. Likes them for fine detail work skinning.

Lovely knives. Can't say enough good things about them.

I have a #8 in the kitchen that I got for my wife. She likes it very much.
It wouldn't be something that I would carry, but the brand has a great following.
For the money, it's hard to beat.

Back