Does this look odd?

Received a new small 21 from a crk dealer and it looks a little odd to me. This is my first 21 so curious if this is normal. The blade looks like it's been overly sharpened, and when laying on a flat surface I can see a substantial amount of light where the blade looks like it should be flat.

I checked the back of the blade for lockup marks, and there seems to be a lot of machining marks there. I own a small inkosi and was impressed by the fact that I couldn't see a machining marks anywhere on the knife.

When opening the blade it perceptibly click into place right before the lock engages. This is my first post, but I have followed other threads on blade forums in the long lead up to my crk purchases, so I figured this would be the place to ask.
ejLjtWVLKZKbYG2q9
8WWt8wFBCneBFTW37
album-72157715291112047
album-72157715291112047
album-72157715291112047

IMG_20200730_074836.jpg IMG_20200729_195523.jpg IMG_20200729_184957.jpg
2jrmKpi

2jrdEjK

2jraVSX

Last edited:
Your photos didn't load so hard to tell exactly what you are describing, but the double click sound is normal. As the blade opens, the lock bar slides off the detent ball, that's the first click. Then it snaps into place behind the tang to lock the blade, that's the second click.

Thanks for the heads up, new to blade forum so I'm trying to figure out my image situation. That's good to know about the double click though, thanks!

My BNIB Umnazaan also has a little bit of recurve to the edge. I can see substantial light under the edge on a flat surface where the edge is retracted some. Doesn't really bother me, it's relatively slight, I wish it weren't there but it's not enough to affect sharpening and it cuts just fine. Though CRK's are a grail for some, people need to realize they aren't perfect. It's evident when you have multiple examples of the same knife all exhibiting slightly different personalities.

Realistically they are fantastic knives if expectations are in line w/a high production knife. Perfection is something to strive for, it's never truly achieved. CRK makes great knives, they don't hold the throne but they helped build it, there are a lot of great knives out there .

T
Your not going to be able to post photos directly with your membership level. You will need to use a service-tech forum has a stickie on it. Without photo's it is hard to say if it is normal, but if you aren't happy, contact your dealer.
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

My BNIB Umnazaan also has a little bit of recurve to the edge. I can see substantial light under the edge on a flat surface where the edge is retracted some. Doesn't really bother me, it's relatively slight, I wish it weren't there but it's not enough to affect sharpening and it cuts just fine. Though CRK's are a grail for some, people need to realize they aren't perfect. It's evident when you have multiple examples of the same knife all exhibiting slightly different personalities.

Realistically they are fantastic knives if expectations are in line w/a high production knife. Perfection is something to strive for, it's never truly achieved. CRK makes great knives, they don't hold the throne but they helped build it, there are a lot of great knives out there .
I appreciate the input! As long as it performs it's function I'm okay with it, I was just curious if any others have had the same recurve on their blades. I am in love with my inkosi, and I wanted a 21 before I couldn't find one. The blades are different enough for me to need to ask.

I've been working in production with custom guitars for over a decade so I both understand and am okay with variation in that way.

I was a little more concerned about the double click, but as evany pointed out it was the blade sliding off the detent ball. I held my knife up to the light and slowly opened, and I could see the blade leave the ball after I read that. Now I understand what I'm feeling

They sharpen them by hand on a belt grinder, so some are less than perfect. Where to draw the line for too less than perfect is going to be an individual decision. On a user likely not a huge deal . You can slowly correct most problems, without eating too much steel.

If what you mean is a slight recurve look, I’ve noticed it a lot these days and don’t care for it at all. IMO a sebenza needs to have some belly.

It’s hard to tell in the pic but the blade in the foreground is not tall as the one in the back, overall length is shorter also.
They were phasing out mammoth at the time and I wanted to pick up a couple at dealer prices. I didn’t want to send it back. First world problemimage.jpgimage.jpg

Alright so I bumped my membership. This is I'm the markings on the Tang, and the recurve. The photos are oddly shaped because I cropped them to make them small enough to share (took the lazy way)IMG_20200730_074836.jpg IMG_20200729_184957.jpg IMG_20200729_195523.jpg

That is a little hard to tell, but it does look thinner! Oh man that mammoth bark! I've seen them on the webs I'm jealous. Yeah I'm starting to feel that too I don't want to return, I guess I was just curious if it was super abnormal or not.
It’s hard to tell in the pic but the blade in the foreground is not tall as the one in the back, overall length is shorter also.
They were phasing out mammoth at the time and I wanted to pick up a couple at dealer prices. I didn’t want to send it back. First world problemView attachment 1388395View attachment 1388396

The little bit of recurve in the blade doesn’t bother me, but the markings on the blade where lock up occurs bothers me. That has the potential to cause unnecessary wear and less life on the lock up position IMO.
You have a couple of choices, either send it back to the dealer for a swap out or call CRK and send it in for service.

To answer your question, no it’s not normal.

Canspellnife Canspellnife
In all honesty, if it was me, I would contact the dealer for an exchange or return.
I *may* not have noticed the edge, but that tang doesn’t look right.

MANY of the sebenzas that I have bought in recent years have had absolutely horrible edge grinds. Recurves, High on one side, low on another, grossly ground at the belly and thin elsewhere, etc. The standard has indeed fallen. This is the final finishing touch and they are extremely lacking. Maybe I am being picky, but for a knife costing $500+, I deserve to be. I expect this on a Walmart special, not from a company that is regarded by many as “the standard”. Obviously the standard has fallen like I stated above. It’s quite sickening. Some were returned to dealers as unacceptable. Others were sold clearly stating uneven edge grinds.

Hey welcome to the forums! I just checked my Classic and my 21s and none of them have this recurve (nor the extremely pronounced machine marks). It's totally your call obviously, but if I were in your position I would either want the dealer to take it back or for Chris Reeve to replace the blade outright.

If you can send it back, that would be my vote. The tang looks weird, recurve is not cool, and both these things bother you. Not acceptable. CRK will make it right if you send it in, but try and exchange it through the dealer first.

Back