Does We Or Reate Make A Left Handed Knife?

Razor

Gold Member
My son is left handed and is wanting one. I really like the ones that I have that are made by these companies and he is wanting one. What about Civivi or Real Steel?

For most knives if you have a swappable pocket clip that's all you need to make it very lefty-friendly. Most liner locks and frame locks are not difficult to operate with either hand. There are some spyderco knives where you have significantly better access to the spyderhole from one side of the knife than the other, however.

They do. I looked on BH.

Which models did you find by these four manufacturers? I am left handed and to me there is a difference between ambidextrous and left hand specific design. I would not go as far to say a swappable pocket clip makes it "very" lefty-friendly.

Which models did you find by these four manufacturers? I am left handed and to me there is a difference between ambidextrous and left hand specific design. I would not go as far to say a swappable pocket clip makes it "very" lefty-friendly.

What issues do you run into with locks and opening mechanisms as a lefty?

1. It can be a pain in the ass to disengage. plus It just doesn't feel right.
2. It can be a pain in the thumb to disengage the lock. The way you have to position your hand makes it more susceptible to being cut.
3. The show side is on the opposite side. You get stuck looking at the usually unadorned lock side. Especially if it's a framelock.
4. You pay the same amount for less. Essentially, I'm paying top dollar for something that wasn't made for me.

Last time I checked Reate does not make a Left handed model under their own name. They recently did a limited run of Micro Evo Typhoons for Sharp By Design, but those will be tough to get. Most of the guys who bought them don't want to sell.
The other is Liong Mah. He has two models made by Reate under his name. The KUF V2, and Warrior 2 V3, A bit expensive though (over $400).

WE made a lefty Chimera. which is very nice. I don't think they have done any other models though.
WE-Knife-Co-Left-Hand-Chimera-Bronze-Black-Ti-Black-SW-814-BHQ-96894-jr-416w.jpg

Spyderco makes a lefty PM2 and Military
Kizer makes a few models that are lefty as well.
Gemini is a fantastic EDC
Kizer-Laconico-Gemini-FL-Left-Handed-SW-Ki3471-L-BHQ-72454-jr-left-416w.jpg

They make two others but they are a bit large. Megatherium and Sheepdog
I also believe Bestech has made a few as well.
Finally, most Benchmade Axis lock and some of the newer Hogue Able lock knives are fully ambidextrous. Meaning they work exactly the same for a righty and lefty.
Hope this helps.
Do the kid a favor and get him a REAL lefty or something fully ambi. I know I would've appreciated it when I was a kid.

Last edited:
The ones I found were the ones you could just switch the clip from right to left.

Slip joints are Ambi...CIVIVI Fracture
CIVIVI-Fracture-Slip-Joint-Knife-Black-G-10-3.5in-Stonewash-Drop-Point--C2009E-BHQ-114174-LS-Bottlecap-416w.jpg

So are back locks...no clip on this Rustic Gent though
CIVIVI-Rustic-Gent-Lock-Back-Dark-Brown-Matrix-Micarta-CF-2.97in-Satin-D2-C914E-BHQ-114186-LS-416w.jpg

I think the WE Double Helix might be lefty friendly from a standpoint of opening, but I don't think the clip can be swapped.
WE-Knife-Co-Double-Helix-Slide-Lock-Blue-Ti-SW-815D-BHQ-87621-jr-416w.jpg

The WE Blocao is a beast but with a back lock it's lefty friendly...again, I don't think the clip can be flipped though
WE-Knife-Co-Blocao-LB-BSW-Ti-Marble-CF-SW-920A-BHQ-103131-jr-bottlecap-416w.jpg

I think someone already mentioned the full left-handed Kizer Gemini...
Kizer-Laconico-Gemini-FL-Left-Handed-SW-Ki3471-L-BHQ-72454-jr-416w.jpg

As a lefty outside of the Compression lock I can't think of any lock that I had difficulty or discomfort using. I actually prefer right handed liner and frame locks to lefty I find pulling with my thumb as shown in M metaphoricalsimile video link to be easier/more comfortable than pushing it over with my thumb. The clip position I tend to keep right handed as in a back pocket carry to the left most side of the left back pocket allows the blade spine to be against the pocket edge.

As a lefty outside of the Compression lock I can't think of any lock that I had difficulty or discomfort using. I actually prefer right handed liner and frame locks to lefty I find pulling with my thumb as shown in M metaphoricalsimile video link to be easier/more comfortable than pushing it over with my thumb. The clip position I tend to keep right handed as in a back pocket carry to the left most side of the left back pocket allows the blade spine to be against the pocket edge.

Yup, and I'm even strongly right-hand-dominant.

Yup, and I'm even strongly right-hand-dominant.

Just becauese I CAN use a RH lock does not mean I want to. For the exact reason you don't carry a lefty.
Leftys should buy left handed knives. It encourages the companies to keep making them. I grew up having to learn how to use right handed locks, scissors, can openers. Most companies (like ZT & Reate) don't even bother. So when a brand does put one out I at least want to give it a shot, So hopefully they will make more, and other companies follow suit.

When ordering from companies, always inquire if lefty versions are available.

When I ordered my Ferrum Forge Exec, I mentioned in the comments section on the order form that I would prefer a lefty...they got back to me that a limited number of lefties were available. They weren’t even listed on their website.

Just becauese I CAN use a RH lock does not mean I want to. For the exact reason you don't carry a lefty.
Leftys should buy left handed knives. It encourages the companies to keep making them. I grew up having to learn how to use right handed locks, scissors, can openers. Most companies (like ZT & Reate) don't even bother. So when a brand does put one out I at least want to give it a shot, So hopefully they will make more, and other companies follow suit.

Ok, but this is like not any more difficult than doing it with my right hand, and I don't even really use my left hand.

You're missing my point.
You are doing it just to prove you can.
Leftys can use RH knives because we had no other choice. Whenever my right handed friends is checking out or using my knife, they always tell me something like, "that's weird", or "it doesn't feel right". Even though they had no real issues using it.
Most leftys are at least partially ambidextrous because we have been forced to use things that really can't be used comfortably in our dominant hands.

Let me put it this way.
I throw right handed.
Why?
Because my grandfather bought me a right handed glove when I was 6. So at first, when I caught the ball, I would take off the glove, hold it in my right hand, pull out the ball and throw it back with my left. Instead of going out an getting me a lefty glove (granted, they were a bit hard to find and probably expensive in those days) he yelled at me, and made me "do it right!"

If I'm spending anywhere from $100-$3000 on what is essentially a luxury item. I am going to get something that works best for me.
If you want to buy a CRK Sebenza will you even consider buying a lefty? No. Why? Because you aren't left handed. End of story

To the OP, check out any number of left hand anti-discrimination threads on BF. You are not alone.

I didn't say I had issues, stated that I don't think a swappable clip makes it "very" friendly to me as a lefty. Your video illustrates two inconveniences of having to adapt, the clip is on the wrong side and you have to slightly roll the knife in your hand to close. A left-handed liner lock can be closed without the roll. Also, with some frame locks that grip has to be adjusted when opening so that pressure on the lock is minimized and doesn't prohibit opening. I don't have to think about this when opening a left-hand design.

Lefty knives matter!

My collection is nearly left handed and fully ambidextrous knives only.

I appreciate the makers who at least have reversible clip options. So companies like ZT, Hoback, and some others I will usually at least give a try. In fact, a Hoback Kwaiback is the only non lefty/ambi knife in my current collection.

However, Rick Hinderer is discriminating against my fellow left handed people! The guy won’t even have a couple holes tapped on the opposite side of his scales.

Lefty knives matter!

My collection is nearly left handed and fully ambidextrous knives only.

I appreciate the makers who at least have reversible clip options. So companies like ZT, Hoback, and some others I will usually at least give a try. In fact, a Hoback Kwaiback is the only non lefty/ambi knife in my current collection.

However, Rick Hinderer is discriminating against my fellow left handed people! The guy won’t even have a couple holes tapped on the opposite side of his scales.

Jake Hoback is a traiter to his kind!
A few years back, shortly after he asked if anyone was interested in a run of lefty mid tech Kwaibacks, he announced he will no longer be making left handed knives. Custom, or mid tech.
and the guy is LEFT HANDED!!
I assume it had to do with tooling costs and whatnot, but really?!? Not even going to make customs?!?

Back