Dog loss soon

It's amazing how an animal literally becomes your child, and your kid's sibling. It's like the Jungle Book, she kinda raised us. I don't think of her as an animal, but just one of us. She's just as neurotic as we are! Crazy how life does that, connects you in ways that transcend language and understanding.

sorry for your loss, i am 53 and have had 2 dogs one for 23 years and the other for a little over 17...my wife wants a puppy but I am not sure that I want to go through that again. Our last one took 8 pills a day for his last couple of years, 4 in the morning and 4 at night. I knew it was time when he quit taking the pills.

Sometimes it is time to let them go.

Unconditional love, what an amazing gift from God

For sure... I've always believed that dogs do two things for us that no other animal can do. They show us what God's unconditional and unlimited love is like, and they model the kind of trust and faith that God would like us to have in Him. When I lost my Belgian Malinois unexpectedly a few years ago, a friend sent me this. I don't know where he got it...

"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog, it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big."

Again... Jerry Lee and I hurt with you and your family as you go through this.

Yo Mama,

I truly feel for you and your family. You will know when the right time is.

I know because I had to put our sweet boy down tonight. I’m laying in bed as I type, crying. Can’t sleep. We did all we could for our boy.

Enjoy the time while you can. Slip a few too many treats to her as the time draws near. Hold her a bit more. Make memories.

Hang in there.....it’s tough.

Last edited:
I like that idea.

We plan to cremate and spread her ashes in the places she loves to be. It's better to plan before it happens, so the kids dont feel forced or rushed to make a decision.

When the time comes, ours will have her ashes spread in one of our favorite hiking spots. She loves to hike in the woods with us, and it's still one of her happy places, where she acts like a puppy, and is mentally 'all there'. She can't do the 6 or 7 mile hikes she used to anymore, but she still loves to wonder down a trail for a while, occasionally turning back and looking at us as if to say "are you guys coming, or what?"

I don't know what services your vet offers, but when it's time for us to say goodbye, we've decided on a mobile vet that will come to our house, so the dog can pass in a comfortable surrounding that she knows, instead of a cold, sterile environment.

Yo Mama,

I know because I had to put our sweet boy down tonight. I’m laying in bed as I type, crying. Can’t sleep. We did all we could for our boy.

Enjoy the time while you can. Slip a few too many treats to her as the time draws near. Hold her a bit more. Make memories.

Prayers for you and yours as well. I've seen a great many kinds of loss in 40 years of pastoring, and it's clear to me that the loss of a dog is a very unique kind of pain that nothing else generates. At our "blessing of the animals" services we always have candles on the altar for those who have had a loss in the past year or who want to remember someone from years past. And there are never any unlighted candles.

Yo Mama,

Thanks man, I'm so sorry you had to do it, but also like everyone is telling me you had to. I know it's eating you up, know my thoughts and prayers sent your way.

Yo Mama,

Sorry for your loss!

Had to put my 14 yr old Husky down about 4 months ago and it was the hardest thing iv'e ever had to do (still not over it)

You have my condolences sir.

Shes 15, and the best dog, looks like soon we may have to put her down. A tumor on the side of her face is getting larger quickly and will start affecting her.

I know she's old, but I'm having a real hard time coming to terms with this, and getting the kids through this is going to be the worst part. I dont know what I'm going to do without her, she been there through everything.

For now she's still eating and prancing around, so we take it every day I guess it's all one can do. Watching the slow inevitable is tearing me up though.
Have a 13 year old Shepard, a great friend. Already dug the hole. Just waiting. Sorry for you.

July 7, 2018 is the day we lost our 14 year old Yorkie. We still miss her. God bless you and your family.

Last edited:
Shes 15, and the best dog, looks like soon we may have to put her down. A tumor on the side of her face is getting larger quickly and will start affecting her.

I know she's old, but I'm having a real hard time coming to terms with this, and getting the kids through this is going to be the worst part. I dont know what I'm going to do without her, she been there through everything.

For now she's still eating and prancing around, so we take it every day I guess it's all one can do. Watching the slow inevitable is tearing me up though.
Age is immaterial, she's a part of the family. Good luck and sorry she's going thru this. Give her a hug for me

The worst part about pets...

My cat of 16 years of age died 3 years ago, and it's still a huge bummer. That was one SHITTY day.
It happened on Easter sunday. Pretty much ruined that day for me

Well, I wanted to again thank everyone who gave me support and guidance.

Today we will be putting Butterscotch down. She has lived past what I thought she would, making it through the holidays, and then a little more. I'm grateful to have had the time with her. Her legs now no longer work. She cant get up at all. Her brain is all there, but her body is done, just ribs and bones everywhere.

Guys I've cried so much it hurts. Seeing my kids and wife go through this is horrible. I feel so bad for the dog, hoping this is the right time, I was hoping she'd pass in her sleep, but she did not. To make the call to the vet I lost it.

I’m so sorry for your lose, just went through it with Maggie Mae March 3rd.:( A rescue 14 years ago, miss her every day.
The lose gets easier but never forgotten.

Very sorry, been there several times. Just make sure she's not alone when she goes. She'll be waiting in Walhalla when your time comes.

Back