Dog thread

07_07_10.jpg

Your article is well-meaning but I noticed it says that “experts recommend bathing your dog once a month, using coconut based shampoo”.

Just to add balance for others who might be influenced by the advice in the article, I have to say that my working-line lab is 5 years old and has never had a bath. We live in the countryside, so he has plenty of opportunity to get dirty. Occasionally we have rinsed his legs with the shower-if he has had a particularly grubby adventure. Shampoo has never been used.
He gets brushed regularly, gets a tablespoon of salmon oil every day and his coat is in great condition and he doesn’t smell.
Is it common in the US to bathe dogs so often?

For all you cold weather dog owners, do you put anything on their feet in the winter. One of my neighbors put down a metric ton of salt and I had to rub it out of her back paw so we could walk. I was kind of surprised, because she's not that old and I didn't think it would affect her so much. Not sure about booties for her.

We don’t put anything on his feet but then nobody uses salt here on the small countryside roads. I did research dog boots though (wondered if it might help when it is really cold), and it seemed like Ruffwear was the best brand. Not the cheapest but apparently they have the greatest chance of success.

I did buy some Pawlie’s foot balm for testing this winter. I’m hopeful it might help with cracking.

I didn't disturb the moment by taking pics but sitting by the campfire recently with my Izzie beside me I couldn't shake the thought that at 14 years old she may not have many campfires left. We'll continue to share time together as long as God allows and I'm thankful for every minute.

Theses pics do me good in the morning and brightens my day. Thanks for all those who share. We had to put ours down a few years ago, my wife says she is ready for another, I am not quite there yet. Miss the little guy.

Back