Dog's Head Utility-The First Thirty Days

Bear Claw,

Thank you sir!
It was a fun little exercise.
I keep threatening to do part two. Just haven't found the time.

This is a great thread. Glad to see its still popping up and getting attention. With all the positive reviews, it should be stickied so it never gets buried. Either way, its[SUP][/SUP] necro revival worthy. Might be time for a pic LostViking!

NCSlice.

I guess I need to do something. This place is getting too quiet.

Maybe I can talk KA-BAR into sending me one of the now discontinued BK-17s, to do a comparison with.

I always wanted the BK-17 since it first came out. I ended up with the 16 and the 15, but no 17. I popped on over to the Becker forum the other day and was saddened to learn it had been discontinued.

I'm still sort of amazed with all the detractors the KA-BAR F/U knife has. And how many people don't think it would work as a field knife. I'm guessing they have never used one and are just spouting off. The internet creates a lot of instant experts.

I believe the complete opposite. I have found it to be an extremely capably general purpose field knife. Perhaps the "Jack of All Trades" saying applies here. Capable of many tasks yet not the best at any. I see that as somewhat true.

Yet I also see job specific, tightly focused knives, coming up way short. Once they are taken outside their design parameters.

With draws and additional boxes full of knives. Many of them stupid expensive. I never saw myself as becoming the champoin of the KA-BAR Fighting/Utility. I definitely wasn't a true believer going in.

If you factor in all aspects of this knife. The intial cost, the weight, the sheath. It's versatility, and yes, even it's strength. I see it as a suberb value overall in a GP Camp Knife.

Are the BK-7 or the ESEE-6 more rugged? I would agree they are.

Then again the M1 Abrahams is tougher than my jeep. But I don't usually need a tank to go grocery shopping. I find the Dog's Head more than rugged enough for 98%of my usage.

In a "Three Tool" or "Four Tool" setup. The Dog's Head, coupled with a small knife like a Mora, or KA-BAR's neck knife and an axe or hatchet. Or perhaps a small Bucksaw or folding saw. Covers many, if not all the usual bases.

Last edited:
Great insightful review, really enjoyed every page, and learned in the process! Going to me some of that there Twine, lots of it! :)

NCSlice.

I guess I need to do something. This place is getting too quiet.

Maybe I can talk KA-BAR into sending me one of the now discontinued BK-17s, to do a comparison with.

I always wanted the BK-17 since it first came out. I ended up with the 16 and the 15, but no 17. I popped on over to the Becker forum the other day and was saddened to learn it had been discontinued.

I'm still sort of amazed with all the detractors the KA-BAR F/U knife has. And how many people don't think it would work as a field knife. I'm guessing they have never used one and are just spouting off. The internet creates a lot of instant experts.

I believe the complete opposite. I have found it to be an extremely capably general purpose field knife. Perhaps the "Jack of All Trades" saying applies here. Capable of many tasks yet not the best at any. I see that as somewhat true.

Yet I also see job specific, tightly focused knives, coming up way short. Once they are taken outside their design parameters.

With draws and additional boxes full of knives. Many of them stupid expensive. I never saw myself as becoming the champoin of the KA-BAR Fighting/Utility. I definitely wasn't a true believer going in.

If you factor in all aspects of this knife. The intial cost, the weight, the sheath. It's versatility, and yes, even it's strength. I see it as a suberb value overall in a GP Camp Knife.

Are the BK-7 or the ESEE-6 more rugged? I would agree they are.

Then again the M1 Abrahams is tougher than my jeep. But I don't usually need a tank to go grocery shopping. I find the Dog's Head more than rugged enough for 98%of my usage.

In a "Three Tool" or "Four Tool" setup. The Dog's Head, coupled with a small knife like a Mora, or KA-BAR's neck knife and an axe or hatchet. Or perhaps a small Bucksaw or folding saw. Covers many, if not all the usual bases.
Viking did you ever get a 17? If you didn't PM me and I will send you one.

Nice post LV, I love your approach! With Andy it was the Ka-Bar, but for me it was another issue knife. The metal pommels combined with a metal ladle make a decent improvised mortar and pestle :)
20171206_170043.jpg

20171206_172207.jpg

20171206_193939.jpg

20171206_194845.jpg

20171206_195857_1.jpg

20171206_195911.jpg

Just ordered another Dog’s Head. Lost one, gave another away to my youngest daughter (who uses it often for hog hunting), and my third has a messed up grind from the factory. Rather than sending it in, I plan to fix the recurve in the middle of the flat portion of the blade and put it to work.

The one I ordered will be my “back up”.

There is just something about a leather stacked handle.

Alright!

So it's been just shy of seven years since the Dog's Head arrived.

This place seems kind of quiet these days.
Probably because most folks are on Twit/Face.
I don't care much for any of that. But I like knives.

If the grid goes down, Twit & Face are gonzo, but my knife will still be with me.

Since I originally started this thread many, many knives have come and gone.
I still have the Dog's Head.

KA-Bar has yet to hire me as their Marketing Manager.
But to be fair, I haven't applied either.

So how about this?

I'm in a new state, new job, new woods to play in.

I like to set goals. Goals are things you write down.
If you don't write them down, they are just thoughts.

So, I'm setting a goal. This is the writing it down part.
Goals should have a desired objective, a start date, and an accomplished by date.

So, here is my goal.

March starts in three days.

I have a KA-BAR D2 Extreme. Let's see how extreme it really is.
Is it really Extreme?? Or is it marketing hype.

For the month of March, I will attempt to find out.
I will try and match, or hopefully exceed, some the fun I had with the Dog's Head.

Perhaps I/we can do some fun stuff, maybe learn a thing or two, and generally just have some fun.

Ok so there it is. My goal has been stated and written down.

The second thing you are supposed to do with goals, is make them known to other people.
This is I suppose, a way to hold your feet to the fire so you don't back out.

Is there anybody left here?
Tap, Tap, Tap. Is this thing on???

Let's see if we can't bring back some Twits!
Wait a minute, that didn't sound right. Or did it?

Maybe if KA-BAR doesn't hire me,
I can start the "Save a Twit Foundation"

Or maybe this new thread will inspire folks to leave Face Book and come back to Blade Forums.
We could calll that foundation "Face Off"

But in reality, my thread, nor anyone else's won't deter folks from the Socials.
Ironic that they call them Social Networks, Because people have to isolate themselves to use them.

There it is, I'm committed, or probably should be.

Ok enough talk,
Look for "D2 Extreme- The First Thirty Days"
Starting March 1st, 2022.

Last edited:
so - what new state?
and when kabar comes asking the great marketing guru his opinion, please remember to politely ask them to offer the D2 extreme with a leather handle and save me the effort of rehandling mine!

thanks -and have fun!

so - what new state?
and when kabar comes asking the great marketing guru his opinion, please remember to politely ask them to offer the D2 extreme with a leather handle and save me the effort of rehandling mine!

thanks -and have fun!

Northern Michigan, not the UP, just up in the Northern Mitten.
Situated on a large piece of property with plenty of woods and streams.

Not mine, mind you, but I live in the middle of 2,800 acres.

Trees, streams, ponds, should be a great proving ground the the D2.

I'm actually sitting here playing with the D2 as I type. As I contemplate how to make a new thread worth reading.

The Kraton handle is growing on me.
But you're right, a D2 with stacked leather would be the Cat's Nads.
Although the black and gray combination on this one does look rather nice.

Back