Doubles

It seems like I almost always purchase doubles of a knife that I like or use often.

Which knives do you own more than one of and why did you buy more than one?

I can't get enough of these. I feel that the Infidel is underrated here in the forums. Soooo much smoother to fire that other OTFs. The scalloped handle shape around the blade and overall symmetry is extra special too. I keep them displayed on a stand in my home office and love the sight of them!

16165307284756379801681936837714.jpg

My "bread and butter" knives are the Chaparral (planning to buy the 3rd), the Native (planning to buy the 6th) and the Military (planning to buy the 3rd).
The Chap is my light use EDC, the Native is my summer WEDC and the Millie is my winter WEDC.
I need more than one of each mostly because I like to sharpen knives in batches, but also some of them are with serrated edges, some are DLC coated, some are corrosion resistant "Salts"... so I always have what I need, w/ the same ergos.

Another duplicate is a couple of Bark River UL Bushcrafters in 3V and Elmax which I think are sweet little walkabout knives.

I have two Mini Dukus in 1075 and 420HC steels as choppers.

I also have three Victorinox Spirits and a Swisstool X in different kits and locations.

A few inox and carbon #9 Opinels for when i need something near-disposable.

Lastly, I have four Hultafors GK knives in SK5 - the ideal hard use beaters.

I have purchased several knives in doubles. Initially it was one to use, and one as it’s back up. Later it became a habit to have at least two of the ones I liked, either variation or same model. Lately it is one for me and one for the kids.
22hoK2p.jpg

Yt5OHoo.jpg

Dwi1CNp.jpg

8a0Zz92.jpg

AMShb4q.jpg

Pkf4JAp.jpg

Zi9rhBS.jpg

rOSxQ6O.jpg

I got three vintage CS Voyagers
One in steady use, two in boxes waiting for better days.
Or worse ...

Have 2 M4 carbon fiber para 2’s. One I carry and one in box new should something happen to my user.

I have two each of the Benchmade Vector and Mini Loco. I only bought the first Mini Loco after it had been discontinued, and as soon as I held it, I knew I needed a backup. I got the second vector in a pretty good trade, it's one of my favorite knives, and I figured it wasn't a very popular model and may be discontinued soon.

Additionally I have several 3.5" XM-18s, but they're all in different configurations, so I don't count them as doubles. Same goes for the various SAK's I have.

There is the old saying- "2 is 1 and 1 is none".
Or the other old saying "a pair and a spare".

I have bought several pairs over the years, one to use and one as a backup. Later when I bought more new knives I started selling some of my backups. In effect I had 2 different versions of PM2 in M4 so one version could be backup for the other version. I believe the only one I have a pair of now is the LW Manix2 in Rex45.

I have purchased several knives in doubles. Initially it was one to use, and one as it’s back up. Later it became a habit to have at least two of the ones I liked, either variation or same model. Lately it is one for me and one for the kids.
22hoK2p.jpg

Yt5OHoo.jpg

Dwi1CNp.jpg

8a0Zz92.jpg

AMShb4q.jpg

Pkf4JAp.jpg

Zi9rhBS.jpg

rOSxQ6O.jpg

Hey, I think there's one or two in there that I've never seen!!o_O

Sometimes I double up on sprints/exclusives if it's a model I like, with a steel I like that is otherwise uncommon in production.

So, multiple M390 Benchmade 710s, M390 Delicas, one M390 and one 204P Para 2. Used to have a backup M390 730 and 707 as well but realized I didn't carry those models as much so I kept the users and let the backups go. Should've kept the 730. :(

Now that Spyderco is running more and more K390 I think I need to ditch some non-stainless doubles and variants (Hap40, M4) - K390 seems to be holding an edge better than Hap40 and sharpening easier than M4.

Hey Buddy,
There are several knives that I haven’t posted on BF, I bought them and forgot all about ‘em. But this thread made me dig out some old pics.
Cheers!

Hey, I think there's one or two in there that I've never seen!!o_O

I have doubles of the ones I use the most – BM Rift, Loco, Spyderco Shaman, Buck 110 – but I rather call them spares

I’ve purchased/owned double of a knife twice.

The first time was when I had a basic stock Benchmade Mini Grip that I EDCed for a little while and then bought the Doug Ritter version which I outfitted with OD green micarta scales. I got the Ritter because I enjoyed my Mini Grip and everyone told me the Ritter was even better. I liked the stonewash blade, but the rest of it never sat as well with me as the original. I think I sold both within a short time frame from each other.

The second time was last year when I bought a second Benchmade Bugout. I had been EDCing the original blue version since it came out in 2017. I loved the knife, but sometimes I wanted to carry an OD green version for variety and to match my clothes/mood a particular day. So that’s why I bought the ranger green version as a second. But in the end, I felt a higher connection when only having one knife to carry and use everyday. It gives you a different bond so to speak. So I moved the green one into my safe, available to use as a replacement if something were to happen with my blue one. Recently though I realized it was just sitting there for no reason, and I knew I could obtain another Bugout easily if something were to happen. Thus, I sold the green one, and now the only knife I own is the blue one.

For multitools, I still own duplicates of my Leatherman Wingman and I used to own duplicate Leatherman Waves. I had a Wave in my truck and one in the house until I sold it. Currently for my Leatherman Wingman multitools, I keep one in my Jeep and one in the house. The house one used to be in my hiking pack, but I didn’t need it so it got repurposed to the house and the second Wave was sold. I had/have multiples of those because multitools come in handy, but I don’t want to carry one. Thus, I strategically place them in each vehicle and one in the house. Although the one in the house could probably be sold because I have a tool set in the garage.

Hey buddy J jfk1110
Some more traditional knives in twos...either different color&material or same model in 2s.
CK Spear-blades
H&R Whittlers
Buck Knights
RR Whittlers
GEC Congress
Case Half Whittlers
Joker Setters
Buck 110s
Buck112s...
4nwpZZZ.jpg

Opinels
Moras
SAKs
Becker BK62
RR upswept bowtrapper
RR Improved Muskrat
Case Peanut
Case Medium Stockman
RR Dog Bone Jack
Svord Mini Peasant
RR Sowbelly Stockman
BM Mini Barrage (until a junkie relative stole one to buy dope)

Back