Doug Ritter Hogue - Is the hype true..?

Hogue makes very good knives. I'll get crap for this no doubt, but I'll say better than Benchmade.

While not a Ritter, I gave my cousin a Deka wharncliffe, and it is such a great knife, and I feel better put together than any BM I've owned. The ABLE lock seemed tighter (tolerance wise) and more stable. I think Hogue is going to see an explosion in demand and they already have flippers, but bearing flippers with ABLE locks could really put them on the map.

I personally own their Exploit OTF, and that hand honed edge is something else.

I would say the Hogue Ritter, and Hogue in general definitely live up to the hype. I used to think (many years ago) they were overpriced for using 154cm, but obviously that has changed.

I carried a Native 5, small Seb & an XM-18 for years. but since I bought a Hogue mini Ritter, it has been in my pocket every day. I lost it for 4 days and bought another. Found the first and now have a backup. No hype, just a very good, light, useful knife.

I love mine. It’s been in my pocket everyday since I got it about a year or so ago. It’s an incredible value with high end materials. It’s screaming sharp and I’ve had to barely touch it up. I’m skeptical of M390 and all of its analogs because of the HT nonsense. But it’s been great. The Able lock is smoother, feels more sturdy than the Axis lock. I have also never had any minor play, and I’ve had a bit of play on every Axis folder I’ve ever owned. In fact, both my Mini Adamas and my M4 Bugout have play that I have to rotate the Axis bar not irregularly to resolve. I love the knife.

Also, this doesn’t add to the knife, but the presentation is great. They send it in a nylon, quilted knife pouch. Good stuff.

EDC for me. No clip, monkey fist fob.
asHmuSn.jpg

Greetings.
I am the owner of D. R. RSK Hogue m390, D. R. RSK Benchmade s30. Recently I bought D. R. RSK orange 20cv and instead of joy I got a knife with a curved cutting edge ☹️ it feels like they sold me an old knife, and in order not to throw it away they put a new handle and sold it to me.
Therefore, I do not recommend Hogue's Doug Ritter RSK knives.

English is not my first language, I apologize.

I bought one and was disappointed because there was noticeable side to side blade play. I tried tightening the pivot but that didn’t help. It was extremely sharp and the ergonomics were pretty impressive but I can’t stand blade play, CRK has ruined me.

I bought one and was disappointed because there was noticeable side to side blade play. I tried tightening the pivot but that didn’t help. It was extremely sharp and the ergonomics were pretty impressive but I can’t stand blade play, CRK has ruined me.

Yeah, CRK will do that to you. I occasionally get a new favorite, that I can't live without, but end up going back to my CRKs eventually.

I just got the large and mini. I have been carrying the mini more, like both them. I am probably going to get a backup in each size.

It's not hype. The Hogue Ritter is really an excellent knife. One of the best folder on the market for its price. And the size of the large version is perfect. Just between the Adamas and the mini-Adamas is the sweet spot.
The only downside (for me) is the clip. I don't like it and I replaced it by a 3D Ti clip on my two Hogue Ritter.

HaNoA1W.jpg

Great knife but I will say if you have medium size hands or smaller the handles are very big and chunky.

Greetings.
I am the owner of D. R. RSK Hogue m390, D. R. RSK Benchmade s30. Recently I bought D. R. RSK orange 20cv and instead of joy I got a knife with a curved cutting edge ☹️ it feels like they sold me an old knife, and in order not to throw it away they put a new handle and sold it to me.

Interesting I have never heard of this before. Do you have a picture of the blade in question?

Greetings.

If you didn’t try to send it back and get a replacement, you shouldn’t be bashing them. No company is perfect but only a jackass publicly bashes a company without giving them a chance to make it right.

I finally broke down and bought one when the purple g10 was released not long ago. It's very well done. I haven't experienced any blade play whatsoever.

I've been EDCing the Mini RSK for about 2 months now, and I think it's more than lived up to the hype. Mine came perfectly centered out of the box, with no blade play or lock stick. The action is literally perfect. Just pull back the lock bar, and the blade just disappears into the handle, no wrist flick required. It's a good knife.

I did replace the pocket clip and sand down the g10 under it, btw. Minor gripe at that, but it's really nbd

I've since parted with my Mini RSK. It was a cool knife and well-made but the scale texture was too much of an issue. It didn't feel good in hand and it chewed my pocket more than any other knife I own. While not a major factor in this decision, I've also come to prefer a crisper break for thumb studs than what the Axis-style lock provides.

I toyed with the idea of modifying the scales but at the end of the day, I think it would have required too much removal. I didn't see a way to do it well relative to screw depth and such. Since there is still nobody offering scale options, it was time to say goodbye.

I used the proceeds to order an Endela in 20CV. The only project I know for sure will be dying the red Zome material. There might be a little chamfering work but I've never had an Endela, so we'll have to see.

Ok, mine is a sample of ONE, they might not all be like mine BUT mine.... is quite possibly the nicest, most well built production folder I have had.

Right before the Hogue Ritter, I bought a Spyderco Yojumbo. After the Ritter, I ended up getting a Spyderco PM2, a Spydie Manix 2 XL, and a Civivi Praxis (also an ESEE 6 but only counting folders). The Ritter doesn't get as much pocket time because the Yojumbo and Manix 2 XL are more geared towards my specific needs BUT I still consider it the "best" folder I have. It is honestly just in a class of its own.

Oddly, I find it kind of boring. It's weird - incredible quality knife but just doesn't wow ya at all. O guess I need more TactiCool.

When I carry my ESEE 6, it is the Ritter in my pocket because the FB fills the role the larger folders did.

It's not hype but simply a great knife.

The only negative thing that I can say about it is the pocket clip.It's simply is too thick and creates a high spot that's makes holding the knife not comfortable. I've replaced mine with a bm split arrow clip.

Back