Douk Douk

About once a year I drink tequila. It’s a summer indulgence. I do a couple of El Patron silver miniatures, with lots of limes.

So I’m slicing the limes and figure I’ll try different knives.

Wife: “You used three knives!”

Bob: “There were six limes!”

All knives sharpened by me.

Best slicer in the lot: Douk-Douk.

As good as an Opinel.

They had always said these sharpened up to a razor, and were used ferociously by French soldiers.

Yup on the Former.

How do you feel it stacks up vs a Mercator or Okapi? I've always been interested in these simple, traditional knives.

Yup they are slip joint straight razors, I never leave the house without mine! And they are so slim they disappear.
That's my kit for tomorrow:

7n3nxko.jpg

A Douk Douk is pricier than an Opi and I think the steel is a little softer than the 12c27 on an Opinel. But they are neat knives and everyone should have one

The Douk-Douk is not nearly as comfortable in hand as the Mercator, surprising because of their very similar construction. As a result, I have carried the Mercators a fair amount, the Douk-Douk not at all.

The one that gets the most pocket time is the Okapi Biltong. It carries unobtrusively, and I find the sheepsfoot blade tremendously useful. It is usually the first blade to come out of my pocket.

"About once a year I drink tequila." This would be a great first sentence to start a novel. Love my Douk Douk.

About once a year I drink tequila. It’s a summer indulgence. I do a couple of El Patron silver miniatures, with lots of limes.

So I’m slicing the limes and figure I’ll try different knives.

Wife: “You used three knives!”

Bob: “There were six limes!”

All knives sharpened by me.

Best slicer in the lot: Douk-Douk.

As good as an Opinel.

They had always said these sharpened up to a razor, and were used ferociously by French soldiers.

Yup on the Former.

Seems to me you need to add a Mexican knife to dispose of those limes for your future Tequila cravings. It is a Mexican drink after all. An Ojeda knife would do just fine:

DSCN1764.JPG

I also drink tequila once a day; that is what you meant, right? ;) The Douk-Douk is one heck of a slicer, no doubt about that but the Mercator slices well and, for me (as with Henry ^^^), handles better. YMMV :cool:

Huh. I wish I had seen those before I bought mine. But then my store only offered them in black.

I like the Mercator a lot as well. It has one flaw, which I consider a big one. The "blade stop" when closing is not a kick. The tip hits a piece of plastic to stop the blade. Great carbon steel for the dollars though.

Some clarifications:

--I have a Kat as well, that I modified. From another thread: I have an all black Kat, with no logo, a NiteIze clip and a black thumb stud for one handed opening (I have very limited use in the left limb). Very sleek, very classy. Great knife.

--because of the hand issue, I don't carry the Douk Douk. I've had it loosened, and put a thumb stud on it, but it's still not a casual opener. My edc is a beautiful custom from Al Warren.

--I drink tequila once a year. My (quite) regular drink is bourbon, and increasingly, Irish whisky.

Depends on the material since the different grinds behave a little differently, but I'd place them as pretty much neck and neck on the whole.

Back