1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Douk Douk

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ASBOB, Aug 30, 2018.

1. ASBOB

ASBOB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2008
    About once a year I drink tequila. It’s a summer indulgence. I do a couple of El Patron silver miniatures, with lots of limes.

So I’m slicing the limes and figure I’ll try different knives.

Wife: “You used three knives!”

Bob: “There were six limes!”

All knives sharpened by me.

Best slicer in the lot: Douk-Douk.

As good as an Opinel.

They had always said these sharpened up to a razor, and were used ferociously by French soldiers.

Yup on the Former.

afishhunter, katanas and W. Anderson like this.
  2. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Your new nickname is TequilaAsBob.

19-3ben likes this.
  3. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    How do you feel it stacks up vs a Mercator or Okapi? I've always been interested in these simple, traditional knives.

4. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Yup they are slip joint straight razors, I never leave the house without mine! And they are so slim they disappear.
    That's my kit for tomorrow:

[​IMG]

J D Wijbenga likes this.
  5. ponykid

ponykid

Sep 14, 2015
    more pics!!!

6. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    A Douk Douk is pricier than an Opi and I think the steel is a little softer than the 12c27 on an Opinel. But they are neat knives and everyone should have one

7. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    They're a full height shallow hollow grind, which is rare to find on knives these days regardless of price point. I love 'em.

afishhunter and jbmonkey like this.
  8. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    The Douk-Douk is not nearly as comfortable in hand as the Mercator, surprising because of their very similar construction. As a result, I have carried the Mercators a fair amount, the Douk-Douk not at all.

The one that gets the most pocket time is the Okapi Biltong. It carries unobtrusively, and I find the sheepsfoot blade tremendously useful. It is usually the first blade to come out of my pocket.

9. crom

crom Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2007
    "About once a year I drink tequila." This would be a great first sentence to start a novel. Love my Douk Douk.

katanas likes this.
  10. Legendary_Jarl

Legendary_Jarl

Feb 8, 2010
    Seems to me you need to add a Mexican knife to dispose of those limes for your future Tequila cravings. It is a Mexican drink after all. An Ojeda knife would do just fine:

[​IMG]

afishhunter likes this.
  11. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    I also drink tequila once a day; that is what you meant, right? ;) The Douk-Douk is one heck of a slicer, no doubt about that but the Mercator slices well and, for me (as with Henry ^^^), handles better. YMMV :cool:

12. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Is that custom work, or do they come in that color as well? Only seen them with black handles.

13. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Oh no it's the most standard one, nothing custom here. They just recently came up with colors and sheaths.

Rykjeklut and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  14. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Nah, that's a standard finish. They offer them with either a blued or plated finish.

Rykjeklut likes this.
  15. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Huh. I wish I had seen those before I bought mine. But then my store only offered them in black.

16. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    I also have the "Tiki" which is that silver finish with a different figure on it and a black blade. :cool:

Rykjeklut and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  17. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    I like the Mercator a lot as well. It has one flaw, which I consider a big one. The "blade stop" when closing is not a kick. The tip hits a piece of plastic to stop the blade. Great carbon steel for the dollars though.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  18. ASBOB

Feb 8, 2008
    Some clarifications:

--I have a Kat as well, that I modified. From another thread: I have an all black Kat, with no logo, a NiteIze clip and a black thumb stud for one handed opening (I have very limited use in the left limb). Very sleek, very classy. Great knife.

--because of the hand issue, I don't carry the Douk Douk. I've had it loosened, and put a thumb stud on it, but it's still not a casual opener. My edc is a beautiful custom from Al Warren.

--I drink tequila once a year. My (quite) regular drink is bourbon, and increasingly, Irish whisky.

Rykjeklut likes this.
  19. ASBOB

Feb 8, 2008
    How would you compare a carbon steel Opinel and a Douk Douk as a slicer?

20. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Depends on the material since the different grinds behave a little differently, but I'd place them as pretty much neck and neck on the whole.