Dragonfly 2 - FRN or G10?

I'm looking at a Dragonfly 2 and am trying to decide between G10 and FRN.

Is the G10 worth the extra money?

I guess this is rather subjective, but what do you (all) think? I like the G10 on my PM2, and the FRN on my Ladybug and Delica is wonderful.

Is the G10 worth the extra weight?

The whole purpose of the DF is to travel light, the G10 (and metal liners) adds a whopping 22g to a 34g knife. Other than the look and feel of the G10, What is the extra weight getting me? Does the extra weight yield any performance advantages? Does the extra handle weight make the knife feel any better in the hand?

Is the G10 going to tear up my pocket?

I've got a Delica 4 and love the smooth spot behind the clip, it allows a nice smooth draw.
I've also got a PM2 and love the G10, but the G10 behind the clip is a bit rough and I fear tearing up my pockets (The knife is new, I suppose that it will all smooth out with use and handling). How does the G10 on the DF2 feel?

I realize that this is a fantasy, but... has a DF2 with black G10 and an H1 ever been made?

I owned a g10 dragonfly for a while and the g10 itself was not that rough so I wouldn't be worried about your pockets. As for the g10 dragonflys ergos they are better feeling to me than the frn. It all depends what you like I think both are great I went with the g10 because of i liked how it looks better, and weight is not a big issue to me.

haven't handled a dragonfly yet, but the main advantage i see with lined g10 over FRN (even lined) is that FRN handled knives always have some kind of flex that really bugs me. i feel this on my enduras/delicas, salts, strectch. i know its functionnaly ok, i know i wont ever break the handle even on unlined salts, but still i prefer the stiffness of g10 handled knives.

otoh unlined FRN knives are real light, if that's your goal clearly go for FRN

CC, I'd recommend the FRN flavored Dragonfly. Its light, flat, not too spendy and does what you want it to do. The G10 adds cost and weight, which is fine if you want to bling it up a little, but it adds little or nothing functionally. So I'd say to save yourself some money and give the FRN a try.

If you are looking to "try out" a dragonfly, I would probably go with the frn model, just in case you end up not really liking. However, I have yet to read about a dragonfly owner not liking that knife. My first dragonfly was the G10 model and I loved it. I had to sell it, then missed having it and when it became more financially feesible, I quickly picked up a new one. I personally am not too much of a fan of REALLY lite knives, I like to feel them clipped to my pocket, which the little extra weight of the g10 and liners helps do. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, it just depends on what factors you are looking for in your light EDC. Also, if you have a preference in blade steel, the G10 model only comes in VG-10, while you can get an frn model in VG-10, ZDP-189 and H1, so there is a little more variety there.

I have the G10 and I'd say it's worth it, never had the FRN but I have FRN delicas and that's about as light as I would want to go. Like NinjaRyder0920 was saying I'm afraid with a FRN DFly I would constantly be checking to see if it's still in my pocket as you won't feel it.

My G-10 dragonfly is amazing! I love that little knife! It carries great in the pocket and looks great! It has some weight to it but not a lot. Great cutter and gets razor sharp. Sadly I have to get rid of G-10 and FRN models. I have (sold now) a Sprint White FRN dragonfly and its really light! I do still prefer the g-10 as it isn't a big difference of weight and I actually like the heft. And no the g10 is not going to rip up your pants. Its not aggressive at all compared to some Emerson knives. Overall I like the G-10 model way more than the FRN version. Just feels better in hand.

Last edited:
I haven't handles a g10 version but the one with zdp steel is a great cutter and is very lightweight.

I have both and like them both but I have to say the G10 just stands out. It's better feeling in the hand but then I like a little heft. The blades are the same. Either one is light, it's a small knife that feels much bigger in the hand.

I think the lightweight FRN helps the Dragonfly 2 to shine. The G10 seems bulky to me. I own 2 of them, one serrated version in H1 and plain edged ZDP-189.

Bulky??? Is the G10 version thicker than the FRN version? If so... how much thicker?

Let me clarify my needs a little bit. I've got a Delica for EDC, and PM2 when I'm feeling a little more daring, both of them are great for jeans or dockers, but are too large (and heavy) to go with a business suit or summer shorts.

I tried a Ladybug but (1) no clip and (2) WIMPY!
I tried a CRKT KISS but it is a classless block of steel.
I tried a CRKT PECK but it is too small (and a classless block of steel)
I tried a SAK Classic, it is classy, but can't be opened with one hand and it is wimpy.
I tried a SAK money clip, it too is classy, but can't be opened with one hand (and less wimpy)
I tried a lone wolf paul pocket folder, but the darned thing is so expensive and pretty that I was afraid to use it.

So... now I'm looking at a DF2. (I am open to other suggestions too)

I would say get the G10. It is a lot more solid than FRN. The liners keep the back lock from settling and having blade play. Also IMO G10 feels better than FRN.

I would go with the BRG ZDP-189 version.

It's a nice light little package and I really like the steel.

Love em all but FRN is were its at. With a smaller knife such as the dfly, you will hardly realize its there, until you start cutting with it. Small knife, BIG TIME CUTTER! Cant go wrong with any
IMG_2645-3.jpg

Does DF2 G10 has full steel liners ?
What was the reason to use them ?
In my Byrd Tern there're no liners at all.
The handles are strong and lightweight G10.

If you are looking to "try out" a dragonfly, I would probably go with the frn model, just in case you end up not really liking. However, I have yet to read about a dragonfly owner not liking that knife.

I would also suggest trying out the FRN model. However, my only Dragonly was the G-10 model and the ergos didn't work for me. It's not the first time that I've disliked the ergos of a popular model. Another example that comes to mind is the Benchmade Rift. The handle shape doesn't fit my hand.

IMHO - no, the G10 models are not worth it over the FRN. I owned a G10 version and sold it. Now I own 3 of the FRN versions and love them.

If you want a G10 Dragonfly, just step-up to the Native-5 - the value is back around where it should be (again, my opinion).

Well, I have solved one problem. My PM2's G10 is a little too grippy for my taste, so... a little sandpaper and PRESTO! Problem solved. So... I don't have to worry about the DF2's G10 texture anymore.

Back