Dream Shop - Old Shop Demolition finished. Demo photos added.

The Clean Room is air conditioned and is the room where clean work is done - jewelry, engraving, carving, deskwork, relaxing, reading, beer drinking. The Hot Shop is for forging and metal work. The Grinding Room is for grinding and welding.

I come from industries where a “clean room” is a massively ventilated, HEPA filtered place where everyone wears special non-lint shedding clothes. I doubted you were referring to that ... but was waiting to see. Unfortunately we can’t drink beer in our clean rooms....

Yesterday was one of the best days on this project - WE INSTALLED THE AC UNIT in the clean shop. My buddy with an AC company finally got a break from many weeks of round the clock jobs since the hot weather hit. Thanks Mike!`
Since it has been in the 90's every day for about three weeks, that was really exciting.
I started installing the benches in the clean shop after we were done and the room cooled down. There will be the multi-function bench ( woodcarving, pyrography, handle work, small metal work, etc.), the work table, the engraving and art bench, and the jeweler's bench. I will also start putting the antiques and such on the shelves and walls. I will post some photos tonight and lots more this weekend as I get stuff moved in. Having a place to go and cool down while working in the hot shop and grinding room will help me get more work done on those shops, too.

Ok, here are some photos ,of the benches I put in yesterday and today. There is lots more stuff to go on them, but some of the tools and things are on them already. The last shot is my Wolf 1X10" belt grinder for small work. Feel free to ask about anything in the images.
IMG_20200719_164622.jpg IMG_20200719_164633.jpg IMG_20200719_164638.jpg IMG_20200719_164643.jpg IMG_20200719_164650.jpg IMG_20200719_164748.jpg IMG_20200719_164811.jpg IMG_20200719_164829.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the AC unit. Inside is a small exchanger ( sorry about the blurry image), outside a medium size heat pump. Turns the shop from 90 to 70 in just ten minutes. Will also keep it toasty when it gets cold this winter.IMG_20200715_133534.jpg IMG_20200715_133551.jpg IMG_20200715_170743.jpg

You have a lot of optics. Can you please specify the various equipment and what each is best for?
I just have a 2x visor that I put on for finicky things like applying gold leaf.

What's the bench with the tilted out screen for? I hope I'm describing it correctly. You show it in the first two photos.

The black bench with the angled front section is the multi-function bench. I built it myself. It has its own dust/chip/smoke recovery system and lighting from overhead as well as below. It has a screen to allow the chips/dust to pass. It is used for woodcarving, metal carving, pyrography ( the is an Excalibre system on the top), scrimshaw, and some hand sharpening tasks. I have "attachment" boards that mount on the lip to do different tasks. Hanging on the light bar supports in the photo are a Woodhog hand grinder, a 1/3HP flexshaft, and an Automach power chisel/carver.

The tan colored jewelers bench is the one with the GRS system and Wolf belt sander on it. The Guinness clock is next to it in the photos. I still have to install the flex shaft stand and torch.

The optics are gemscopes for appraisals and gemology, as well as ones for engraving/scrimshaw/jewelry and metallurgy. I will probably sell a couple of the extras when I move the rest of the stuff in.

Last edited:
Very nice!!!! Let me know when you're ready for an apprentice....

More stuff moved in and the benches tidied up a bit more. The first shot is a microscope I received for my 10th or 11th birthday. next to it is something Larrin's grandpa might recognize. Anyone know what it is. I''l post photos of the back and front tomorrow ... which will pretty much give the answer away.
IMG_20200723_073118.jpg IMG_20200723_073131.jpg IMG_20200723_073111.jpg IMG_20200723_073059.jpg IMG_20200723_073050.jpg IMG_20200723_073031.jpg IMG_20200723_073024.jpg IMG_20200723_072947.jpg IMG_20200723_072938.jpg IMG_20200723_072947.jpg

Wait till you see the photos of the hot shop and the grinding room which I am finishing over the next few weeks. This weekend I am preparing to demolish the old woodshop. The biggest problem will be deciding what to install and what to set aside. The hot shop is going to be a bit more cramped than I first designed. I have some great "wall antique" that I may not have room for. I'll get everything I need to have installed, and then try to find some way to display the cool stuff.

Just to get everyone's excitement up, I am starting to fill flat rate boxes with extra tools and supplies. Once I am done with the installations, I will put them on The Exchange and sell them of as box lots. Wood, tools, machinery, etc. There will be some bigger/heavier stuff that will likely have to be local pickup.
Anyone who is local can email me and come by to pick through stuff in a month or so. There will be lots of free stuff as well as things pennies on the dollar.

I put in a few more supplies, bench lighting and small equipment today.
I moved the engraving microscope that is on the work table in the photos to the engraving bench and installed a binocular inspection scope on an articulated arm in the center of the work table.
I should have the clean room done by the end of tomorrow.

Back