• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Dustin Turpin Issue Resolved

I'm stoked for Dale but the last two knives should have been in the configuration he originally ordered and agreed upon and not "makers choice?"

Just leaves a sour taste in my mouth, like he should be happy he received ANY knives at all!

It should leave a sour taste in all our mouths! This is not the best outcome, but it is far from the worst!
I'm hoping Dale was able to recoup close to the cash amount he was out.
Joe

Hey lawfor, I am glad you're problem was resolved to your satisfaction. It's a great benefit being part of BladeForums. We have the support and strength of a large and active knife community. I quoted parts of your original post below with comments.

Because the prior thread became so long (and this situation dragged on for so long), I’m going to keep this pretty short and sweet.

Any chance you can summarize your transaction with dates and important details? I went back and found the other thread and noticed you traded an expensive Rolex watch to Turpin. That's something I forgot from the original thread. There's been tons of discussion in your threads but I'd like to see the facts laid out in one post please.

1.For everyone who reached out and offered some friendship, advice and support while this was going on, I sincerely thank you. It meant a lot and it’s awesome when the knife community bands together to help one another.

Great people willing to lend a hand here! :):thumbup::)

Anyway, am very happy this worked out and I wish Dustin, who builds one hell of a knife, all the best. Have a good weekend, all.

It's interesting to me how often this pattern pops up. Talented craftsman but poor businessman. Good at taking $ but not good at delivering the expected product.

That is great news . You did the honorable thing by coming and posting you recieved your knives . Just know that there are plenty of people left in this world who actually do what they say when they say .. But it is becoming harder to find them . Good luck !

Any chance you can summarize your transaction with dates and important details? I went back and found the other thread and noticed you traded an expensive Rolex watch to Turpin. That's something I forgot from the original thread. There's been tons of discussion in your threads but I'd like to see the facts laid out in one post please.

Thanks for your comments. The first and second post of the locked Turpin thread has all the key details.

The story is pretty simple:

-Around Nov 2014 Dustin and I agreed to a deal where I would give him a mint Rolex Submariner watch with boxes and papers valued around $7-8k, in exchange he would build me several knives with materials and details we agreed upon in advance.

-We agreed that he would build and send me the first knife, and after I would send the Rolex watch. Then he would build the rest within next 3 months so that our deal would be complete by around March 2015.

-He then changed the deal and asked me to please send watch before he made the first knife. I agreed do so so as long as he agreed to build the knives quickly; he promised they would be his "top priority."

-I sent the watch on my dime in December 2014 as agreed. He was very happy with it.

-The knives did not get made. Many many broken promises and untruths told that they were being started or that I'd have them soon. None of these texts or email promises were truthful. At same time he was telling me that he could not make my knives (that I had paid for upfront) for one reason or another, he was making other knives for dealers, shows, friends, etc.

-I finally received the first of the knives over a year later after hours of back and forth, and agreements that were not honored. etc.

-After this, Dustin refused to tell me when he would make the rest of the knives and stopped communicating completely. I was always respectful and tried to encourage him to work things out honorably. He refused.

-After warning him first, and after countless attempts to resolve this, I posted the story in BF and tried again to work things out still with no luck. The only response was a social media post he made elsewhere stating that he was extremely upset about what people were saying about him; he appeared to blame me for creating this situation.

-About 6-7 months after posting my original thread on Bladeforums, with zero response and no options left, I began to pursue legal action, of which Dustin was made aware. The next day Dustin contacted me for the first time, asked me not to take further action, and agreed to make last two knives he owed me within 3 weeks.

-About 7-8 weeks later, he delivered the remaining knives. They were not to the specifications we agreed to in our deal but he did make them.

-I posted this updated thread to let folks know he had delivered the knives.

That's pretty much the whole story.

There are a few other details but I will keep them to myself.

My goal in posting this was just to update folks as to the resolution since he did make the final knives and I did not want to leave the story unfinished in all fairness to Dustin.

Hopefully Dustin will learn from this (I know I have), and move on in a positive direction. You cannot criticize the quality of his work, which continues to be excellent.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think it's more like......I'm sorry......that I got caught.
Hope you are doing well Dale!! I'm sure you're glad to put this behind you my friend!
Joe

I think it's more like......I'm sorry......that I got caught.
Hope you are doing well Dale!! I'm sure you're glad to put this behind you my friend!
Joe

Thanks Joe. More glad than you could know. The worst experience I have had with a custom knife maker since I began collecting. Very happy to be done with the whole affair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen brother! Hope you didn't wind up in the red too bad my friend.

Amen brother! Hope you didn't wind up in the red too bad my friend.

Honestly, it was not really about that. Of course, no one wants to be ripped off or taken advantage of, but it was more the way the entire thing went down and was handled. Anyway, chapter closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back