Eat Yer Hearts Out, Buck-os!! W/Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
After months of patiently awaiting a triangular shaped box to mysteriously appear in the mail box, EUREKA! I found it this morning! Oh, joy! Scootch over, Tin Man....OH, FREAKIN" RAPTURE!! Allow me to digress a bit. All this time on the Forum, Uncle Bill has been and is still being recognized as the spirit behind HI and set the scene for everything HI stands for and has came to mean. Just so. Plus, his initials are on each HI blade honoring his memory. Bill Martino even has his own model of knife available for purchase and many of you already have one of those. During my quest for khukuri knowledge, the HI website was digested as was the Blade Forum as far as postings related to HI are concerned. Then something caught my eye. I then contacted Bawanna and told him all about it and what I was going to do. Joe thought this was very neatomundo himself and said "Let's do it." Since the game was afoot, Mrs. Martino was contacted and she kindly confirmed all I asked about, made polite & correct suggestions, and then gave into my obnoxious will after I explained the WHY.
What it boils down to is that Mrs. Martino has HER own khukuri model, too. Didja realize that? The Katunje. I happen to like Mrs. Martino and appreciate all she does for the Forumites, whether they deserve it or not. Let's face it. She's one outstanding business woman, capable of keeping her head above water by trying to always do the right thing--even if it comes out of her own pocket, and is definitely a friend to us all. Now I hadn't seen this model offered recently and didn't even know what it looked like, but one was becoming highly desirable to me (yeah. I was getting excited!) and certain special features were wanted. That meant custom order. Below are a few photos taken a bit ago and I'll finish this story there. Guys, I haven't seen Bawanna's Katunje, but I know he is really as happy with his as I am with mine. (and I'll let him blow his own horn about his Katunje.) In fact, this little khuk is already in the top 3 fav HI khuks in my modest collection!
1_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] This shot of the Katunje shows it's relative size. I used it for about a half an hour trimming Morning Glory and Trumpet vines. The size is definitely a plus as some of my vine's locations does not give me much room to maneuver around in, let alone swing a khuk. Notice the handle is short? It was ordered shorter than normal and I can really choke up on it. Love the light weight, too. This might make a fair kitchen knife.
2_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] 12 inches OAL. The blade is 8.5 or there abouts. Cain't tell you what the weight is. Immaterial to me at this point. She's just the right size for a daily carry for a farm boy.
3_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] This side of the Katunje blade highlights Uncle Bill's initials.
4_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Here is the side for the kami's cartouche. Seen anything like this one before? I'm not certain who the kami might be. Some fine detail for a straight chisel and neatly done--looks fabulous to me.
5_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] The brass butt cap is decorated.
6_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Fits the second notch on my khukuri rack very nicely and fills it out well, eh?
7_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Here is where Mrs. Martino told me that this spot is where the owner's name would appear. I said that Uncle Bill's initials were on the blades and I wanted HER name in Devanagari script on the blade of HER model, to honor her for what she does for HI, not me. Thus I have the first "YANGDU" model of khukuri, so eat yer heart out big time, kamidog!

That is the first I've seen. It's a beautiful and apparently functional blade.

Congratulations on such a great acquisition.

Excellent post friend Bookie. Good pictures and said just what I'd say iffen I knew how to talk as good as you do.

It really is a wonderful little knife and the specs for handle size were perfect.

In one area there seems to be a bit of a gray area. Mine arrived yesterday which technically speaking would infer that I have the first "Yangdu" model of khukuri, but since it was your wisdom and forward thinking that made these happen in the first place I'm gonna defer on this one and congratulate you on the very first "Yangdu" khukuri.

I'm right proud to have been allowed to partner up with yall and be a piece of this.

It should be noted to all present that these knives were just completed or near completion when the quake flattened the shop. I'm sorely tempted to get something engraved that notes such. You know to commemorate the fact that it survived the quake and all the bad things related to it. Kind of special.

Been busy at the sweat shop this morning and I've neglected to send auntie a proper thank you, I shall strive to do that forthwith.

So in closing I'll second the eat yer heart out bit time.

PS- I might add that I too ordered sight unseen and had no idea what a Katunje even looked like. On my last visit to Auntie's one of the knives she pulled out for show and tell was a katunje! Not one of these of course but the same knife. That was the first time I'd seen one. I of course sent word to Bookie that we done good in ordering these, along with the sad news that they hadn't survived the quake which as it turns out was misinformation creating cause for a happy happy dance today.

Good idea, Bawanna. A plaque on the sheath. We got the "2015 Yangdu Earthquake models"!

Wow - fantastic looking knife! Congratulation to both of you for bringing the Katunje back. I had read about it and now want one with the short handle and all!

Talk about special....what a way to honor Dear Yangdu.
and one of the nicest khukuris i have seen of late as for finish, markings, etc...of course, were i Dear Yangdu, i would be telling them that if it had MY name on it, it had BETTER be nice and i would not release or even allow a photo of one otherwise....and this one is WORTHY...

That's a beautiful piece ... congrats on an amazing addition to an already impressive collection.

Well consider my heart eaten out Buck 'o! Looks like a Lachhu made blade. The Devanagari means Raya for the suns rays which is what Lachhu uses. I have never see him make his mark that fancy tho. Very special touch for a very special person. Wonderful idea! I really like the stubby handle. I have read about this knife too. Im glad you brought it back!
Hmmm? Kanano you may be right? It says RA for sure but theres a line through the "YA" wich makes it a "BA" ? not sure now but it looks exactly like Lachhu's sign except for the extra bar. Definitely looks like a sun tho?

Last edited:
Nicely done gentlemen, I applaud your efforts. Now, something I never thought I'd say to another man.... Nice Rack!!:cool:

Nice blade there, really special. I love that display rack...unfortunately, I'll need a bigger one, or several anyway.

Wow. That is one sweet lookin blade. Wondering why no pics from Bawanna yet, but we'll give him a chance to get the camera out. To me, it looks most similar to a BDC, but with a shorter handle and slightly thinner blade. Seeing as my BDC is one of my favorites, this looks to be a mighty useful knife.

The only problem I see, is not enough pictures!

Kamidog, once again I take computer in hand to provide priceless educational advancement opportunities to you--and FREE of charge. That's BOOK-O to you, buck-o.

BigJ4016, The top is a Biltong. Specs are it's little and it's light. The name is from Africa where the khukuri is popular. KARDA can give you the full 9 yards of it, far better than I. It is small enough that it can do some food prep to my satisfaction....and don't listen to a word that Ndog might tell you. It'd be a plot to get one from you because mysteriously you would become disenchanted with it and he would be your bestest buddy and buy it off you just sos' you wouldn't be stuck with it--IF you didn't give it to him in the first place. How do you think he got that big collection? Crafty Texican, anyhow.

Cul, ol' hoss. I ketch you even close to that rack, beware! I saw your beady (The descriptive "shifty" can be inserted here as well.) little eyes in that last photo you posted of yourself and trust me. They DO NOT make me feel warm and fuzzy!

Bawanna, To continue our conversation, look into my eyes. You are getting sleepy. Listen carefully and repeat after me.....Bookie, you have the bestest Curved Spine. Now, say that 100 times and I'll give you a Tootsie Roll........

Bookie, you have the bestest Curved Spine, (1) Bookie, you have the bestest Curved Spine (2) I am getting sleepy.
Always did like tootsie rolls, specially back when I had more of my teeth.
I'm fixing to leave for my granddaughters 1st birthday party, it's actually Wednesday when she'll be at my house but we might just get drunk and be somebody today for fun.

I'll continue this counting stuff upon my return and post some pictures too.

Bookie got the bestest curved spine but I got the goodest. Oh headache, you got the dolls out already this morning?

Your safe from ndog. We aint got no biltong here anywaz. We do have plenty of jerky tho. Hmmm? Lemme know if you want me to sharpen that biltong up for ya doc. and maybe a deep polish. Heck with the tootsie rolls. Ill send ya a butterfinger if...uh... i mean when I send it back.

One year already Mr.B! Wow! Seems like yall just left the airport?

[COLOR="#0000CD"Cul, ol' hoss. I ketch you even close to that rack, beware! I saw your beady (The descriptive "shifty" can be inserted here as well.) little eyes in that last photo you posted of yourself and trust me. They DO NOT make me feel warm and fuzzy!

I'm not half as "shifty" as I used to be in my younger days, your pretty safe now boss....well, I REALLY do like that rack. You know you should sell them to us folks on the forum. Ship it disassembled, and we can assemble it ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back