Echo 5 Love

Just wanted to give some Love out for the Echo 5. I got my first Dogwood at the start of this year and take it everywhere. Mine was a 1/8th CPM-154 Dogwood-Scandi with Thick IPE Wood handles. It was also my first USA Made knife, Whitty you make it too easy hahaha!

imagejpg1_zps4ba4b654.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As soon as I got it I went and got a old dead dried up branch from the backyard and tried it. This thing was like a light saber. It just sunk into the wood without any effort or push.

imagejpg1_zps0fa83e38.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just amazed me how sharp and light it was. It has to be the sharpest knife I have. What also was just great was the thick handles. I had never had a wood grip knife, I always worried I would damage it but when I saw how thick it was I was in and ready to take a chance.

imagejpg3_zps3b102861.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The IPE wood is very tough, and I love the fact that it is a dry weather wood. Being in West Texas, everything will split if you look at it funny. I also learned that it is a hard wood to form because of its density so I didn't worry as much using it.

Just a great knife and wanted to share. I have been doing Trysticks now to work on my techniques and am getting better (not near as good as most of you guys though) but found some of the first ones I did with my Echo and thought I would share.

imagejpg1_zps389e91b7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry for the bad pics but was having fun with the Echo today carving while cooking for Thanksgiving and wanted to get this up and share something that will for sure be something my grand kids will use one day.

Have a Good One.

Great review, the try sticks look good. I have an echo 5 in 3/32 01, super light knife. I haven't had a chance to really use it yet. I do use my 1/8 hawkin, which I love. Ilk get some pictures up this weekend. Great thread

Holy smokes. I want one of those echo 5's in 1/8" cpm 154 scandi!!!!

Ok, here is my Dogwood Duo. First one is a Hawkins with spalted birch, and 1/8" cpm 154. And the second is an Echo 5, 3/32" 01 with curly maple scales. Both fantastic blades. I love the Hawkins in the kitchen!

Thanks Hasco it is one slicing fool. Was my first "Custom" knife.

Hey Tinbanger,
Those are awesome!!! Love that Birch! I have never held a Hawkins but the Huntsman seems to be the ultimate kitchen knife with its handle and long thin blade. How does the two differ in size and thickness.

I am glad to see that y'all are using your Dogwoods and that you are enjoying them. After all, that is why I make knives. I should have my back order cleared around the end of January and will start taking orders again. I hope everyone has a great Christmas and Holiday season.

Hey Dan,
Thanks hope you guys have a good one as well. Thanks for making them and all that you do. Can't wait to see more of the Piranha, it looks like a great Blade.

The piranha and some others will be available after the first of the year. Now that I am getting caught up on orders I should have some to post hear. Thank all of y'all for your support.

Oh and I will start offering 550 fire cord lanyards

Sorry for the late response. I have been using them more, to really get a feel for them and their differences. Since the last picture I actually picked up a 3/32 3 finger edc, so now it's a trio! So I've had a chance to kind of compare the Hawkins and the Echo 5. The Hawkins is a little thicker and is cpm 154 with a lower grind than my echo. The Hawkins feels much heavier, I know there is a lot more steel but I think the stabilized birch is heavy also. I tend to take my Hawkins when I go out camping and as it feels more like a do it all knife. I really like both knives for different reasons. The more i use my echo 5 the more i love the way it slices, and is super light and comfortable. I actually got my first coues deer this year and i used the 3 finger edc to do most of the skinning, and gutting. Great little knife. I hope this helps a bit for those of you who are interested.

Wow what a set! That is a awesome combo, I like the 3 finger but what I like the most is how that echo's blade is ageing. How does the misquete feel on that 3 finger? Here is the desert of Texas that stuff is everywhere so I never thought of in on a knife.

Thanks, guys. I'm not sure how old the Echo is I bought it second hand, but I like the aging also. I never thought of mesquite as handle material either, but it feels great.

It is great to see those blade getting work and building up some "love" my 3 finger has been my go to blade for cleaning game for the last two years and I love it. Thank you for posting picture I can't tell you how much I enjoying seeing my knife being use and put to work.

I'm pretty sure my 3 finger will be doing all my game prep from here on out. Thanks for the great knives.

Never thought of the 3 finger as a skinner, but I'm sure it would be great for indexing, recalling liking the look of it. What is the thickness of that 3 finger?. Man Tinbanger, the more I look at your pics, the more I am digging those wood handles! If you get a chance, would you mind getting a top pic to see the thickness of them, always love how thick Dan makes them!

Thanks,

The 3 finger is 3/32". Very very sharp. I was trying to get the skull of my buck ready to boil, and somehow put 2 tiny chips in the blade. I worked them out but I'm having difficulty trying to get that polish back! I'll get some handle shots from the spine later today.

Nice trio. I have another makers 4 inch bladed knife in mesquite, ages nicely and the density of the mesquite makes slightly handle heavy which means the blade will not fall out of my hand.

Back